Help with player progression

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PokiouXIII

10-07-2012

Hi Guys,

I've searched and couldn't fine much info in-regards to this. I just started to play this game 2 days ago with a group of my mates. So far its great but i have a problem at the start of the game as i don't know what to buy from the vendor. Do i get the boots the blade or life steal blade? and what do i do from there?

I normally play two characters. Caitlyn or Teemo.

Are there any guides or a set rule of purchases.

I would love to know this now so that i can make it a habit of buying these items, rather then trying to relearn everything at a later date.

Thanks you guys/gals.

Pok.

kid steel

10-07-2012

go on mobafire.com and look up the champion you want to play, it'll tell you everything you need to know

Vycky

10-07-2012

It really depends on your preference, team composition, and the enemy team. My preference when buying initial items is boots and 3 health potions. If I have a support champion with me that can heal my team, I start off with a Doran's blade.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I'll respond more directly, because I don't want you ending up like me before I learned to build, and buying one weapon, one armor, one pair of boots, and then potions for the rest of my inventory because I thought I was done =P

Boots and 3 potions is a good start, and one used commonly at high levels of play, because it provides both mobility and sustain, meaning you can dodge abilities, position yourself for last hitting and harassing, and survive longer before going back.

From there, you want to start building something that will define your role as a champion, and modify it as needed for the current game.

I'll give you six very basic, general build strategies, and leave the specifics up to you as you play more and become more experienced.

A support build will want gold generation items, wards, and items that can benefit your entire team, like auras and actives. You'll generally start with a faerie charm, several wards, and a potion or two. The charm gives you a start on the gold generation item Philosopher's Stone, and provides sustain for your mana based support abilities(which most support champions uses). From there I usually build Heart of Gold followed by boots of some kind(Ionian for cooldown reduction or Tabi/Treads for defence are generally good options). After that I'll build an Aegis of the Legion, and maybe a Soul Shroud or a Zeke's Herald, depending on which I think will benefit my teammates more. Finally I'll build my Philo stone to a Shurelya's Reverie(Move speed activate) and a Randuin's Omen or Locket of the Iron Solari. Some supports will rush Shurelya's earlier in the build. You probably won't use this one much at your level, as it's rather useless against bots.

The next build, the one that will probably work best for you as Teemo or Caitlyn, is a full AD build. I start this with boots and potions, although some people will take a Doran's Blade. Next, you have an option of scaling with Doran's Blades(usually no more then two), or start building your core items directly, which is probably more effective for AI or low level PvP games. There are lots of ways to do this, so I'll just go over one build for now - grab a Vampiric Sceptre for extra sustain from your autoattacks, or a B.F. Sword if you can afford it in a single back. You should also upgrade your boots to Berserker Greaves as soon as possible. Then go Pickaxe or Cloak of Agility, and eventually build an Infinity Edge from those items. Next I go with Zeal(or its smaller components, Brawler's Gloves and Dagger) and build it into a Phantom Dancer. Bloodthirster and Last Whisper are also good items for this build, one providing large amounts of AD and Lifesteal, and the other granting Armor Penetration. I like to finish with Madred's Bloodrazor to help deal with high HP tanks, but you can also add a Guardian Angel for Armor, MR, and the resurrection effect, or a Black Cleaver or Ghostblade if your opponents are building lots of armor against you.

This is getting longer then I expected, so I'll be briefer with the rest - there's full AP, where you'll want Magic Penetration, Ability Power, and Cooldown Reduction; full tank where you want armor, MR, and health and health regen; AD bruiser where you want AD but also durability, going for items like Frozen Mallet and Wit's End; and AP bruiser where you want AP and durability.

There are many, many ways to combine items to achieve the results you want, and it's also worth considering certain specialized items, like the Quicksilver Sash, that have activations that can be very useful in some situations.

Hopefully you have an idea of build order from my more detailed paragraphs - if not, you basically want to prioritize the items you pick up to be most effective and help you scale through the game, which you wouldn't do well if you just went for an item like Warmog's armor right away.

As you play and become more experienced, you'll get a better idea of what items you want to build for what uses, and when to build for a specific stat.

As a final tip, stacking any item other then Doran's items is usually not going to be worth it.

PokiouXIII

10-07-2012

Thanks guys, Sereg i'll try the 3rd build that you suggested i like the way it scales and it makes sense and seems easy for me to follow hehe

cheers guys

Goaticus Maximus

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokiouXIII View Post
Hi Guys,

I've searched and couldn't fine much info in-regards to this. I just started to play this game 2 days ago with a group of my mates. So far its great but i have a problem at the start of the game as i don't know what to buy from the vendor. Do i get the boots the blade or life steal blade? and what do i do from there?

I normally play two characters. Caitlyn or Teemo.

Are there any guides or a set rule of purchases.

I would love to know this now so that i can make it a habit of buying these items, rather then trying to relearn everything at a later date.

Thanks you guys/gals.

Pok.
In the current Meta(A generally agreed upon way of playing the game.) Teemo would either be an AP Mid champion or a bruiser Top. Caitlyn would be an ADC bottom.

That being said, I will assume you play teemo as a bruiser.

As for helpful resources I would highly recommend you check out Solomid.net and lolpro.com Both are full of guides that are used by professional players and high elo solo queue alike.

That being said, to answer your question directly I would recommend for caitlyn that depending on your support ( has a heal or does not ) you either start with boots and 3 health potions or a Doran's blade. These two options against dependent on your support are generally accepted and yield the most benefit for the cost.

As for teemo this is quite a bit more difficult to say, I would get use to the idea of making decisions based on your team picks and the enemy team picks. If you know you will be fighting a melee champion top who needs to close range against you like riven / fiora / jax etc then I would start with boots and 3 pots to give yourself an easier time trading successfully. It's a lot easier to harass someone who can't hit you back!

If you are going up against another ranged opponent such as nidalee or jayce, I would suggest starting with cloth armor and 5 pots or a doran's shield depending on your build goals.

I have very little experience with ap teemo mid, I personally don't like it so sadly I can't be of any help there.

If you are looking for High Elo Tips, Tricks, and Guides check out my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/drwaddy

PokiouXIII

10-07-2012

Hey guys, One last question hopefully.. when you say boots and 3 pots... which boots and which potions?

hartreck

10-08-2012

To buy in the store, it depends on the character:Caitlyn, for example, is and AD carry.Then, you should build items that provide crit chance,attack damage, life steal, attack speed and armor penetration.If you want something more specific, go to teamcurse.net or solomid.net , they have really good guides

hartreck

10-08-2012

"Hey guys, One last question hopefully.. when you say boots and 3 pots... which boots and which potions?"A:boots oh speed and health potions