Early Guardian Angel on Cho'Gath

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GlavTech

10-07-2012

This is something I've been trying recently. The idea behind it is getting Guardian Angel as your first item, after you have your two gp10, boots 2 and an abyssal scepter.

My reasoning for this was that itemization on Cho is extremely flexible, so no "core" items exist. The only other item that I would consider even close to core is Frozen Heart, which you can easily just get after GA.

The effect of it is that you get more tankiness, and less of a chance of losing feast stacks and then just sucking for a few minutes.

venivilivicci

10-07-2012

I have done this lots and it is good. You become godly tanky in the mid game. I still prefer to rush frozen heart then build abyssal scepter before it. It gives you a lot of damage and cc with the ap and cdr plus two awesome aura's

XxxLumberJackxxX

10-07-2012

If you rush an early GA you should be completely ignored him teamfights (SHOULD being the operative word). Then they will kill you last. Twice.
If you rush RoA or Abyssal you will actually do damage and people will target you, thus making GA necessary.
HOWEVER if you rush GA you will not get your AP items until much later than you would get both items if you start with an AP item (because you are clearing your lane faster), so the GA actually sets you back a bit...

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

GA isn't necessarily a tank's item. It's used to 'de-aggro' your champion, which is useful on hyper carries who lose by getting focused. As Cho'Gath however, you sort of want the enemy team to focus you. Which is done by being a threatening force.

Granted the stats on GA are the right kind, there are other items which simultaneously make the enemy team need to focus you, while still granting MR and Armor.

TheUnburned

10-07-2012

I use this strategy on Cho'gath pretty often, with good results. However, this is definitely a strategy that works better at low ELO, when the enemy will make the mistake of focusing you to cut your passive, even when you build full out tank, which makes GA more effective. In higher ELO/skill matches, building GA before offensive items will simply make the enemy ignore you, which is the opposite of what you want them to do with Cho'gath.