Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Why the decision to hold the games at an outdoor venue? Sun in players eyes is among the saddest of errors for an eSports event. I know its LA and all, but come on now, I don't play videogames to go outside, and I don't go outside to play videogames.

Thysan

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Think I mentioned this earlier, but we will be putting up overhangs so the possibility of peaking is removed.
LOL @ this stupid idea. Peaking was not the only problem but was a major one. You need to get soundproof/enclosed booths for the teams or I will never trust the integrity of the matches and neither will many other people. Overhangs do nothing to prevent crowd noise from impacting the game/changing situations. L2BOOTH. Riot pls.

Amocoru

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Hey guys,

After two days of smooth sailing during the World Playoffs, Day 3 was disappointing. We’ve spent today investigating and reviewing the problems, and I’d like to go through and address some of the community’s big concerns surrounding yesterday’s issues.

In hindsight, the potential visibility of minimap screens for players was a mistake. Despite on-site referees, close monitoring of player cams backstage, and stage design that ensured players would have to turn more than 90 degrees to be able to catch a glimpse of the minimaps, even the possibility of unfair play was simply unacceptable. We’re taking steps to ensure the minimap screens are not visible to players.

We are re-examining photos, videos and renders of the stage layout to definitively understand sight lines between the players on-stage and the minimaps overhead. We’re taking it a step further moving forward to completely ensure the screens aren’t visible to players.

Forward-facing camera angles can be misleading and we want to make sure everyone has the full picture before drawing any conclusions. This is something that we believe requires a comprehensive investigation but we absolutely understand why it’s cause for alarm.

In the meantime, here’s a quick overview of the two primary minimap incidents we’ve been reviewing:

TSM/Azubu game

• Azubu Frost had a microphone issue that didn’t allow them to communicate during the opening of the game. As a result, the game was paused.
  • It was noticed that both teams had players that were shifting their bodies during the pause. Blanket warnings were issued to both Azubu Frost & TSM.
  • Referees decided to issue a restart, as a) Reginald & Chaox had concerns about screen looking and b) Azubu’s communications disadvantage could reasonably be interpreted as requiring a restart under tournament rules.
  • No further incidents of screen-looking were witnessed during this match.

Team WE/CLG.eu game

• A player from Team WE was not facing forward for a moment during the 3rd and final restarted game before we wrapped for the night.
  • We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.

Those are the primary incidents that have been reported, but we are also investigating other alleged instances. More importantly, we are taking steps to completely ensure the screens are not visible to players at the conclusion of the Playoffs and Finals.

Hardware and connection issues are harder to prepare for. Video cards can explode. Network cables can short out. Headsets can die. While we can pause and restore games, if any of those things happen in the middle of a teamfight, it will impact the course of the game dramatically. Long-term, we know we need better solutions for this and it is a priority.

Regarding yesterday’s connection failures, we had a string of issues including a power failure, and two internet connectivity incidents we are continuing to investigate. It sucks that this happened, but we’re going to dive deep into the root cause to see if there are any other redundancies that could safeguard against this in the future.

We’re trying to deliver an extraordinary experience for viewers, and yesterday didn’t live up to our goals. We’re going to take everything we’ve learned from the Playoffs and strive to make the remainder of the Quarter- and Semifinals, as well as the Finals, as great as we can make them.

In the long run, looking to season 3 and beyond, we’re always learning and we’re reading all your feedback and taking it to heart. We believe the most important concern here is about fairness, and we’re going to do everything we can to preserve that moving forward.

League of Legends as an eSport is young, and we’re learning a lot with each event. This is the run-up to our Super Bowl, and we’ve really been pouring our blood, sweat and tears into it. We’re as disappointed as you are that yesterday had so many issues, but we’re committed to improving, so that’s what we’re going to try to do.

Right now we’re focused on setting up the conclusion of the Playoffs, and we’ll have more details on that shortly.

Thanks,

RedBeard
Do the right thing RIOT. Rectify your mistakes. You've done it in the past. Suck it up and replay it. If it costs you another million it's your own fault for not properly preparing, not ours, or the teams that literally had their dreams shattered by your incredibly poor setup.

Xyltin

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junigenmukyoku View Post
It's okay fanboy, it looks like you're just whining about TSM losing. There were referees literally standing next to each team, how the hell would they have not seen if someone was cheating.

And Riot confirmed that there was no further cheating, but your fanboy brain wont understand. They were actually there and you weren't, I'll take their words over your screenshots and assumptions.
Look through the replays of the said day. Everybody can clearly see that one of AF look up again after the remade match started.
If he looked at the map or not is not important. He looked there after he was warned to not do it.

And blame someone else as a fanboy cause he wants to know the background of an incident is not really smart.

This is about clearing up the incident and not about any remake of the games or D/Q AF and letting TSM in their spot. That is a thing riot has to decide.

But the community has a right to know why Riot ignores that one incident.
Cause they could ignore it to get the cheating thing out of the tournament. How does it look when you have to D/Q a team for an incident that was not seen by the staff but the whole community.
There are some reasons why Riot wouldn't want to talk about that incident. The others are no problem for then cause there are some excuses and reasons behind it (and that is fine).

Stephën

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Thankyou redbeard for releasing a proper statement and not the half assed one that was released yesterday by a certain headref.

Sisu21

10-08-2012

not sure if Riot has seen this sorry if u have but I think this is pretty decent evidence that azubu frost cheated http://i.imgur.com/hntqU.jpg

and the thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...inimap_during/

XBOX Juan

10-08-2012

Thanks for dealing with this so well, considering the magnitude of the issue. I respect you guys that much more as a company due to the communication, and I hope you have no further difficulties, because it's clear to most, if not all of us, the sheer passion that Rioters possess. Cheers.

3n07s

10-08-2012

What I dont understand is, yes you guys are young SO WHY DONT YUO LOOK TO THE OLDER EVENTS THAT HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS INSTEAD OF TRYING SOMETHING OUT YOURSELF YOU GOOOOOOFS

MJ2010

10-08-2012

I love what u did , RedBeard !!!
Hope you guys can make it better !!! I love this game !!!!!!

Crotalus Helleri

10-08-2012

LAN cable. Why leave it up to the chance of losing the wireless connection? Or am I just being simplistic and naive here?

Thanks on the official post.