Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kronic Logic

10-07-2012

What is the course of action for the CLG.EU and WE match? I think we could determine that CLG has a clear advantage, perhaps even that game. What if you guys turned it into a best of five, gave clg.eu the win, and finish the series with CLG.EU 2-1 over WE, best of 5?

Melroy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

@RedBeard

As a fan in the stands yesterday up near the front, I really have to say you guys did a great job keeping the fans happy. Pizza coming around later in the day and all the awesome swag still made it a good time, even with the hiccups. I wish I could have seen all the matches, but I really think, at least for us people there live, you guys did a great job dealing with the situation.

Also a few questions. When we supposed to be getting email details for refunds? Are we supposed to send in an email to support with our ticket?

BLACKJAW

10-07-2012

How funny that TSM fanboys never believes that TSM also cheated.

Even if TSM got first blood on first game, or 2~3kills, they never can win against frost.

Daemonkz

10-07-2012

Without a live audience how will I know when a ward has been killed?

pacov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I feel really bad for you guys. It's clearly a huge undertaking. Wish things had gone smoother all said and done. Loved day 1 and 2 at the very least and really looking forward to the rest of the games!

Milkshakes00

10-07-2012

What about sound proof cabinets for the rest of the tournaments? With blacked out tops/sides? Please?

YoshiStampedeBlu

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post

TSM/Azubu game

• Azubu Frost had a microphone issue that didnít allow them to communicate during the opening of the game. As a result, the game was paused.
  • It was noticed that both teams had players that were shifting their bodies during the pause. Blanket warnings were issued to both Azubu Frost & TSM.
  • Referees decided to issue a restart, as a) Reginald & Chaox had concerns about screen looking and b) Azubuís communications disadvantage could reasonably be interpreted as requiring a restart under tournament rules.
  • No further incidents of screen-looking were witnessed during this match.
http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames/b/334537601

Look closely at azubu's side @5:32:44. You can see Woong look up at the minimap in the distance. Then, shortly after, you can see Azubu Frost ping the lane TSM went down. If that isn't proof enough, then I don't know what is.

EDIT: Fyi, from left to right, Woong was second. *crowd's pov*

Please explain this, as you said "no further incidents of screen-looking were witnessed during this match". This was obviously screen looking.

Itsmedemo

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Think I mentioned this earlier, but we will be putting up overhangs so the possibility of peaking is removed.
Hi RedBeard,

May I suggest moving the teams to soundproof booths? You have more than one issue of just screen looking.

1.) Having the teams be dependent on voice communication/technology is just asking for trouble, as evidenced by what happened at the event. In a booth, with the sound isolation, they can easily communicate without the need for cumbersome equipment.

2.) Having the players have direct audio feedback from the audience is really bad - a crowd naturally cheers when they see something cool/exciting/sneaky happen. If the crowd starts cheering when one of the teams heads to backdoor a Nexus/ninja Baron/whatever, then the other team will immediately know something strange is happening, and start looking around/play more defensive, than they otherwise would.

3.) As mentioned earlier, having players have access to the opposing team's minimap is mindboggling. It's not enough to tell them "don't look". They are playing for 2 million dollars. Don't give them the temptation.

If you look at the eSports scene, Starcraft 1 and 2 have implemented all of these things in their events and it has led to much more stable, legitimate, respectable events. The more legitimate the events become, the more legitimate eSports becomes as a whole.

larkhill

10-07-2012

i hope every team apologizes for looking at the screens. even if unintentional, doing so in such a big tourney is very unprofessional

judgeshowtunes

10-07-2012

Great to see this post.

The connection issues were aggravating, honestly. Given that I'm really rooting for CLG.EU, and so I was really wrapped up in their games, having them fail repeatedly was just...infuriating. At the same time, I wasn't mad at Riot for it, just frustrated in general. **** happens. Equipment breaks. Nothing you can really do if something fails except try to get a backup system online as fast as possible. And the way Riot dealt with it afterwards (the food for the crowd, apparently someone on Reddit said you're refunding tickets and doing other things for the live audience) was very well done.

As far as the cheating goes, I honestly don't get it. I mean, I see a lot of players turned around, looking to the side, etc. But I don't understand making distinctions on what we think is cheating or what isn't. If the rules were given to players that they needed to face forward at all times, even during pauses (as stated by RiotTiza), then there are many teams that are guilty of infractions. How will that be handled? Or are many teams going to be given passes on those rule trespasses if it is not directly provable that they were cheating at the time?

Regardless, nice post. It looked like Riot was going to sweep this under the rug like a lot of other things, but it's good you posted. And not only did you post something about it, but you addressed all of the key issues and how you're going about looking into them. I really appreciate that. I mean, it's nothing to me really, I've got no money on this, I don't work for Riot or any of the teams, etc. But I'm definitely interested. And I really appreciate seeing not only that Riot is doing something about this, but specifically what Riot is doing about this. Thank you.