Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pliiny

10-07-2012

I would really like to hear the mic conversation of the AF team during that ping! (with translation if needed)

TheFailBus

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSTADEN View Post
"for the most part"

what exactly does that mean?
Cable or other hardware failures could interrupt LAN connection.

ShyR0nnie

10-07-2012

Why is CLG.EU not being given the win when it is clear to anyone who has played LOL more than once that there was absolutely no way they would have lost that game?

KlawrKat

10-07-2012

Thanks so much, Redbeard. I really appreciate the news. I hope that the Finals can still be on schedule. I've already bought my plane tickets and won't be able to refund them. Besides that, I've come to love League of Legends, despite being fairly new to the game and being able to go after thinking I wasn't going to be able to when the first sets of tickets sold out was one of the highlights of a hard couple of weeks for me. Best of luck and I hope this can be done!

Valexi

10-07-2012

Thanks for the official update, it's good to see Riot reliably addressing the forums.

I think Day 3 was disappointing for everyone and I particularly feel for the players with so much on the line. But even then there were some moments like CLG's comeback in game 2 and Snoopeh's clutch flash-kill on Cho'gath that had me roaring at my screen. The ward cheers were funny too, as was Deman telling Yellowpete how to ADC: "Hit the damn turret Yellowpete!"

My biggest concern was for esports in general. This event is really exciting and seeing them run into problems injures it's legitimacy. There's never been something like this before where I can organise to watch the big game with my friends and feel the same way Superbowl fans do. I think we all want it to succeed so we can ask people on Monday "Did you catch the big game on the weekend?"

esports hell yeah

Tisaric

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

You know, I'm not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of "Hey Riot, you did X wrong and X is what needs to happen" (ex: 2mil FB fans/comp for lost runes/champs/etc), but this has gone past what I support you for. If it's clearly evident that a team is attempting to get an unfair advantage (AF pings RIGHT where Xpecial is and the VOD shows him looking directly at screen) while the other team catches them doing it and alerts the judges, there should be some repercussions in hand for said cheating team. And TSM looking at the map was used as an example of how easy it was to look at the map, not as a way to gain an advantage, as AF seemed to have done.

While it holds true that there is and will never be direct proof that AF looked at the map and got an unfair advantage from it (other than AF admitting it publicly), there should have been more than a shrug. The seats could've swiveled so that it was impossible to see the maps unless you were 100% trying, there could've been soundproof booths, etc., etc.

Overall, it was extremely sloppy, but I feel the teams should get more explanation then "Oh yeah, both teams looked and the restart was due to mic problems"

Hextacy

10-07-2012

You've had months to plan this...

How can you explain the fact there was no contingency plans for inet failures, no lan servers, the sun glare, heat, no booths, stage setup, etc.

It's great you're getting "hugs" and really "need" them but COME ON, please PLEASE don't use esports as just some marketing ploy.

RixuS

10-07-2012

Redbeard - What are the odds of Riot making use of the in-game spectating system for future events? I've always thought the streaming system was a little silly... you are using 300x the bandwidth as necessary, to deliver a fuzzy gameplay image compared to just letting us watch the game as we normally experience it. Perhaps patch in the ability to stream audio to the client so you keep the announcers... but this just seems far superior to the current method.

You went through the trouble of programming a very nice spectate mode... why not utilize it?

raidragon

10-07-2012

see how LoL PR in work?? btw they do this while banning and delete message that brings up the proof

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-07-2012
11 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li7hium oOo View Post
Does this mean it won't have any live audience? I mean, with such short notice I doubt you'll be able to get any tickets ready on time but I just want to be sure.
Correct, there will be no live audience for the rest of the playoffs unfortunately. But we will be producing the broadcast similar to our LA Live event, so will look great online for all the fans. We will be announcing an official schedule shortly.