Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amocoru

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
I previously announced we’d be conducting a new best of 3 between Team WE and CLG.eu. However, given new feedback and considerations, as well as conversations with both teams, we’ve reversed that decision. WE and CLG will be concluding the one remaining game of their best of 3 match on Wednesday.

The winner of this quarterfinal will have to face intense competition in the Semifinal match that same day, and given the late start time necessitated by event preparations, a new best of three could result in some very late games. We’re concerned about fatigue and a poor experience for all teams and players involved. Additionally, the two games on the scoreboard in the existing best of 3 completed without incident, so we believe they should stand.

Both teams are informed of the new decision and are practicing accordingly. We know some of you were looking forward to a new best of 3, but I hope you’ll understand why Riot has chosen to resume the existing match.
It was your own mistake, yet again, for making them continue this set on the SAME DAY as the semis. It should've been done beforehand so they had time to play out their BO3 as well as have time to prepare for the upcoming semis matches. I realize that I don't know all the circumstances but why was this not a valid possibility?

George MichaeI

10-09-2012

This is a bad idea, there is a reason bo1s aren't used for most esports...

Yea they played games before, but that was days ago, it isn't the same series, it is a new day and they've had tons of time to prepare for what they learned.

This makes it about gimmick cheese...

Anyway if they have to immensely prepare for the next match, I guess that means azubu frost isn't getting DQ'd

Coldcutz

10-09-2012

I don't really know where to post this but this seems to be getting red attention so I thought I'd ask here. I have tickets to the finals on Saturday and I'm really...was really psyched to go. I've been planning a trip from my home here in SoCal to see the finals for months. My problem is I literally just found out that my grandmother just passed away and I can no longer attend. I would just like to know what I can do about this because the funeral is this weekend and I'm flying back to Pennsylvania to attend. Do I just lose my ticket and all my attendee swag? Should I ask one of my friends to attend in my place? Any information at all would be helpful.

Derptionary

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
Unfortunately there is no live audience, but I'm a former Trojan and am jealous you are still in school! Go Trojans / Matt Barkley!!
Awwww, as soon as I was starting to like you, you had to go and throw out there that you're a USC Trojan.

Oregon Ducks for life!

zZBlackmatterZz

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooMancer View Post
I just sent this in as a support ticket. Please take it constructively as it is intended:

Hello Riot,

I was very much enjoying all of the streaming I could catch last weekend, and like everyone else I was disappointed in the crashes on day 3. Going on about all of the problems right now will not help.
What will help is how to learn from this situation.

I would like to provide you with an idea for the future.

I hope that you had someone on your staff who was experienced in live concerts/theater/shows who's voice was just not heard during all of this as it wasn't apparent from the stream, but what you really need is a good Production Assistant/ Stage Management/ Assistant Producer Team. This team would be 1-3 people who are in charge of communicating with all of the players and technical staff about scheduling changes/conflicts/interviews etc. They would also assist/ have a voice in the design and implementation of the design for all of the shows. This would have prevented the sun glare issues, the video screens being in an easily viewed place, and the fact that the team set up was NOT conducive to being filmed at all.

During the show this team would be in charge of making sure everything flows smoothly. Getting everyone on and off the stage in the correct way. Communicating with the various branches of IT/Management/Film/etc about any issues to resolve or last minute fixes. They are also responsible for thinking on their feet and creating last minute fixes. When something has to be cancelled/stopped/postponed they are the ones to either make that call or to contact and GET AN ANSWER from the authorities as to that call asap. Then the team will immediately move to make this happen, as planning for contingencies falls into their responsibility as well. This includes communicating with the audience/players/casters/event organizers what is happening.

As someone who spent 5 years working in live theater doing lighting, special effects, and stage management, as well as experience in gaming for a living (I am now professional poker player and freelance for fun in theater and TV as a stagehand) and has played on camera and live streams I was grossly dissapointed with how this was handled in every way and I would like to see you hire someone in the future do close this gap that I can see from the other side of the country. Few other people know how clearly the ball was dropped by what is probably dozens of people. Although I do believe your intentions were always good, if that helps .

Moving forward the lesson to learn is - Hire experienced people who know what you need, as well as what problems you may have in getting there. If you 'thought' you had hired them for this show, you did not, switch companies/do more interviews/find someone else because they dropped the ball completely.

If Riot is going to be a leader in eSports, not just in creating the games to be played but in sponsoring/hosting the tournaments it is ESSENTIAL you find a good team of people to head your Live Events division.

I am looking forward to seeing this event finished. I know you will improve in the future, and please don't let the fact that day 3 fell flat on it's face fog up the fact that days 1 and 2 went very well.
Have a great day.

Being in production for the past 20 years it was very obvious that they hired a high end production company to do the staging and the technical systems. I think it has been stated numerous times that Riot is learning from this experience and I personally think they will continue to hire and add people to the team to make this undertaking even better than it was on days 1 and 2.

Also I think with the information we have you really don't know WHO they have hired for the live events at all or WHAT safeguards they currently have in place. I have done very large arena and stadium shows and you know what...things go wrong. Anyone watch WWE when it was in the cirtus bowl and like 1/2 the generators went down? Yeah...bottom line...**** happens.

You don't go into what Riot did without a large technical team in place. And although there were systems that failed, I"m not sure the best team in the world could have fixed hardware crashes etc etc. You also don't switch production companies mid stream when you are in middle of a large production and undertaking like this.

Again, guys I hated what happened as much as everyone else, but what you can hope for when something like this happens is tons of communication, some rewards, and quick answers. We have gotten SO MUCH and I think Riot has responded great. It's easy to well you "should have" and "could have" to death.

- Jeff
OldButGr8

zZBlackmatterZz

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by derptionary View Post
awwww, as soon as i was starting to like you, you had to go and throw out there that you're a usc trojan.

Oregon ducks for life!
go ducks!!

Shindou609

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

I'm guessing the TSM/AF results still stand?

Derptionary

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemenar2 View Post
I like this better actually. Makes it more exciting.

I agree, I think It's better for both WE and CLG.EU because they're only going to be playing one game before they have to move on and play another Bo3 series the same day, it allows whichever team that wins to be fresh and not exhausted from having to play 2 series in the spam of a few hours.

Although it kind of sucks for the viewers because when it comes to watching pro tournaments, 3 games is always better then one

detoxhater

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutgr8 View Post
Being in production for the past 20 years it was very obvious that they hired a high end production company to do the staging and the technical systems. I think it has been stated numerous times that Riot is learning from this experience and I personally think they will continue to hire and add people to the team to make this undertaking even better than it was on days 1 and 2.

Also I think with the information we have you really don't know WHO they have hired for the live events at all or WHAT safeguards they currently have in place. I have done very large arena and stadium shows and you know what...things go wrong. Anyone watch WWE when it was in the cirtus bowl and like 1/2 the generators went down? Yeah...bottom line...**** happens.

You don't go into what Riot did without a large technical team in place. And although there were systems that failed, I"m not sure the best team in the world could have fixed hardware crashes etc etc. You also don't switch production companies mid stream when you are in middle of a large production and undertaking like this.

Again, guys I hated what happened as much as everyone else, but what you can hope for when something like this happens is tons of communication, some rewards, and quick answers. We have gotten SO MUCH and I think Riot has responded great. It's easy to well you "should have" and "could have" to death.

- Jeff
OldButGr8
the thing is, i would doubt it was hardware issues. they got ddosd, that is obvious...the thing is riot will not admit or comment this so the hackers dont get credit and attention.

Anemoneya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

what about AF/TSM issue? seems like nor rematch or DQ happening.