Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phanman

10-09-2012

Front page post coming Soon (TM)

IS1130ca93c056a16e55514

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanman View Post
Front page post coming Soon (TM)
Same soon as dominion soon ...

DMTsers

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannucci View Post
Mangus, I know you said there was no information and I am not quite sure if you are involved in deciding this but imo to ensure fairness the TSM situation should be a rematch for mutiple reasons.
1. If found like Azubu cheated, the only way to determine who is the best is not DQ but by playing.
2. Potentially 3 more games for Riot to broadcast which increases revenue substanially, which I know most people don't want to acknoledge that but money is how you improve your game, increase server capacity, make revolutionizing updates, etc. so I am all for the increased money.
3. It follows the precident you already ruled for CLG.eu vs WE.
4. The backlash from the many NA players throughout the next 12 months from the feeling of being cheated can only hurt your company as a whole and just doing a rematch will help with damage control, since backlash will happen either way, if you consider the 2 options, ethically it makes more sence to give a rematch than to give the benefit of the doubt to Azubu.

Idk if you will respond to this but this is just my 2 cents on this issue, I know you aren't able to shed light on the decision but i would like if you do have any say to consider this because all of these issues are very pressing with just this small issue.

Edit: Why am I getting downvoted? anyone who actually owns/ runs a company knows that the actions im stating is the correct course of action reguardless if its the most popular. I guess I shouldn't assume many of you have any experiance towards this and that is why this is not directed at you but rather Mangus.
First of all, I would like to say that I can respect League of Legends fans wanting a rematch because they want to know who THE BEST TEAM IS. However, this being said, as Mangus pointed out, the same type of potential cheating occurred in the CLG.EU vs Team WE match, causing the game to be re-made. This points out three things to me:
1. Obviously there is not any reason for a team to "play by the rules" right now, if it only means they will have to re-play a game. IF YOU DO NOT PUNISH PEOPLE FOR CHEATING BY DISQUALIFYING, THERE IS NO INCENTIVE NOT TO CHEAT! This is simple game theory. The only way to discourage cheating is to PUNISH CHEATERS! The only way to punish them is to disqualify them.
2. If the worst that can ever happen is a rematch, it ENCOURAGES PLAYERS TO CHEAT, because they may as well try to cheat and see if they can get away with it before playing without trying to cheat. This serves the League of Legends community in a very poor way.
3. If you do not PUNISH a team for trying to cheat, then teams will continue to try and find ways to cheat that wont get them caught, but having disqualification as punishment for teams who have a player or players cheat provides significant incentive for a team to never even try to cheat and get away with it. Teams will find a way to cheat if they want to cheat....
BOTTOM LINE: While I want to know who the best team in the world is, you have to harshly punish a team for cheating so that others don't do it as well.

Yordles Rule

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
We unfortunately don't have team audio saved, so we can't go back and audit that.
Really? That surprises me because even cheapo testing centers around here record audio and black and white video for mundane tests. It sounds like even if your chief referee caught someone in the act of cheating he would have nothing to show as to why he was disqualifying people. Would he have the tools to even do anything about it? I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but it feels like you guys didn't really account for the possibility of cheating occurring at all.

I mean especially given the fact that you have people speaking different languages, it seems like audio recording would be an obvious necessity. How can a professional tournament this size go this far to ignore cheating? It just does not make sense to me.

Mutrock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Magus, I was just wondering that IF Azubu Frost cheated according to the investigation, what would be the ruling in this case? I'm a TSM fan, but I think a DQ would be really harsh. But in my eyes a rematch would be fairest between the two teams. Maybe a complete new BO3 or maybe a rematch where AZF starts with 1 game advantage or something thelike. Really curious what the exact ruling is or if it has to be made in this case.

Zureal89

10-09-2012

bump in hopes of update on the situation for tomorrow's stream, and decisions pertaining to the investigation!

Also, Redbeard, will we get cake?

RedBeard

VP of eSports

10-09-2012
52 of 58 Riot Posts

I previously announced we’d be conducting a new best of 3 between Team WE and CLG.eu. However, given new feedback and considerations, as well as conversations with both teams, we’ve reversed that decision. WE and CLG will be concluding the one remaining game of their best of 3 match on Wednesday.

The winner of this quarterfinal will have to face intense competition in the Semifinal match that same day, and given the late start time necessitated by event preparations, a new best of three could result in some very late games. We’re concerned about fatigue and a poor experience for all teams and players involved. Additionally, the two games on the scoreboard in the existing best of 3 completed without incident, so we believe they should stand.

Both teams are informed of the new decision and are practicing accordingly. We know some of you were looking forward to a new best of 3, but I hope you’ll understand why Riot has chosen to resume the existing match.

Redrowen

10-09-2012

I half expect AZF to offer TSM a rematch. Prove to everybody that they aren't afraid of them and clear up any BS that may follow them home about potentially winning due to cheating.

Considering how the games went AZF would have the confidence to do it and putting TSM on the spot like that and considering what they had said before (AZ deserved the win, we played poorly etc) TSM may just turn it down and this whole mess could be dropped.

If AZF gets called out for cheating do you have any idea how large a backlash that would be over ALL the teams? There were plenty of games played where you knew something was fishy (either players sneaking a peek or using crowd reaction to back out or rush to baron) and each of these teams would demand rematches or DQs for the opponents.

Regardless of final verdict I think the best and only two options come down to:
1. Ruling stands, AZF moves forward as it is currently.
2. Rematch offered by AZF.

There is no way a DQ could happen without throwing most of Day1/2 teams into a **** storm of finger pointing and demands for investigations.

Zemenar2

10-09-2012

Quote:
I previously announced we’d be conducting a new best of 3 between Team WE and CLG.eu. However, given new feedback and considerations, as well as conversations with both teams, we’ve reversed that decision. WE and CLG will be concluding the one remaining game of their best of 3 match on Wednesday.

The winner of this quarterfinal will have to face intense competition in the Semifinal match that same day, and given the late start time necessitated by event preparations, a new best of three could result in some very late games. We’re concerned about fatigue and a poor experience for all teams and players involved. Additionally, the two games on the scoreboard in the existing best of 3 completed without incident, so we believe they should stand.

Both teams are informed of the new decision and are practicing accordingly. We know some of you were looking forward to a new best of 3, but I hope you’ll understand why Riot has chosen to resume the existing match.
I like this better actually. Makes it more exciting.

Redrowen

10-09-2012

Quote:

Great Call!