Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

George MichaeI

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucxican View Post
Wrong. The picture circulating here: http://i.imgur.com/hntqU.jpg is the start of the remade game after both teams have already received a blanket warning for looking at the screens during the first game's pause. I am still trying my best to shoot down the misinformation.
You can tell that image is doctored by comparing the timestamps to mf's position. NT though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surwich View Post
Uh... can you post some sources? From what I remember of that event, they smurfed for some completely unknown girl team in some tiny all girl tournament and then got dqed and apologized publicly? Is that incorrect? So WE and Azubu should follow in their footsteps yes?

But regardless comparing that to getting away with cheating at literally the most important tournament up till this point is disingenuous. Cheating your way to 1 million is pretty big to the average LoL viewer and won't soon be forgotten.
Are you trying to contextualize when it is ok and not ok to cheat? People that would cheat over more "minor" things are much bigger cheaters than people who would only do it in extreme cases.

It's like someone who would only lie to save someone from great sorrow, compared to someone who would lie for a dollar.

Caucxican

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by George MichaeI View Post
You can tell that image is doctored by comparing the timestamps to mf's position. NT though...
The second picture is 13 seconds after the first picture. The first picture was when everyone was running out of their base. Why doesn't this make sense to you?

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:

Unless the picture was also doctored to make it seem as though the screen was behind the players when it was, in fact, situated in front of them thus eliminating any possibility of the teams ever being able to see it, that doesn't solve the actual problem.

namrak

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
As to the root cause, we are still trying to determine the exact root cause of these issues.
Watching it from home it seemed like when ever there was a lot of sound coming through everyone's headset at the same time (crowd cheering, wards being killed constantly). Voip balancing is tricky. But I really have no clue and I'm sure you've got smarter people on it.

fightmander

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
We obviously decided against sound proof booths for the World Championship. Booths aren't completely soundproof. They still use the same methods as we're doing with headsets - pumping white noise in. Ive talked to a variety of players, and you really have the same exact same issues with booths you can still hear the muffled sound of crowd noise, which can telegraph plays. Its something were constantly thinking about ways of improving.

The reason we went our open headset solution was because we feel strongly that the players should be part of the atmosphere and crowd experience, instead of sectioned off in a booth. This allows the players to be easy to watch and accessible to the live audience.

As for the line of sight issue, we are working to address players not being able to look over the backs and up at the screens. We will be creating an overhang so this is no longer viable, and it'll be fixed for the conclusion of the playoffs as well as the finals.

In the long run, we'll continue looking at our options and picking what we think is best based on feedback and experience. Nothing's off the table.
bad bad decision. using headsets rather than booths, cuz u want them to blend in the stage/atmosphere, is a joke.
using booths would have avoided peeking, moving the headset a little bit to hear the audience, looking at the screen when the game is paused. booths = no cheating.

next time just ask more experienced ppl for advice on Esports events imo.

Surwich

10-09-2012

Quote:

Are you trying to contextualize when it is ok and not ok to cheat? People that would cheat over more "minor" things are much bigger cheaters than people who would only do it in extreme cases.

It's like someone who would only lie to save someone from great sorrow, compared to someone who would lie for a dollar.
So I like that you skipped the part where they were dqed and publicly apologized, which we definitely won't be seeing from the asian teams. And yes, there are degrees of dishonesty you pillock. Stealing a dollar from a family member that fell out in the laundry is different from robbing a bank. Law even makes a difference in petty theft vs grand larceny etc. Don't be purposefully obtuse. I can't think of any more serious league tournament to cheat in other than this one. This is the big time. The most important and legitimate one.

CLG EU thought a small all girl tourney with no involvement by riot was not a big deal and they could mess around and break rules. They were dead wrong, got humiliated and dqed and were forced to issue an apology. If that happened in such a small irrelevant tournament, why should it be less at this one, the most important tournament to date hosted by the people who made the game? This is the biggest tournament ever and was supposed to be a momentous occasion in e-sports. Instead it is ruined by internet issues and cheating. The fans won't forget and the accused teams will be pariahs as far as NA and possibly EU are concerned.

HerrAlexander2

10-09-2012

Didnt the microphones pick up all the crowd audio ? I could clearly hear the crowd cheering when there were "team audio replays". so the soundbooths are as good as headphones argument is ****. sorry riot but the whole tournament has been a failure. i expected some more quality control from worlds most popular game and a 5 MILLION dollar season.

zZBlackmatterZz

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzion View Post
Redhead just give over your job to someone who can handle it, you're to inexperienced.

Throwing a dice and pray that the tournament will workout is not professional and I'm afraid that I don't think you will ever be :/
Ohh it's so easy just to sit back and side seat drive, this is a ridiculous statement and know that we all support you Red Beard.

Ravel

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
Best character from the best RPG ever!
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there :P

ElementzPRO

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surwich View Post
The community won't forget the cheating regardless of what you choose to do. Poor WE was already clearly not the fan favorite vs another non-NA team. The crowd was firmly behind CLG EU. Imagine what it will be like in the future with the label of cheaters on them. They were not popular because NA does not know as much about them on a personal level, and now with them being cheaters in the mind of viewers nobody will want to. I predict nonstop booing for WE and Azubu whenever they come to NA. This has poisoned their reputation and when you inevitably do nothing in response in an attempt to minimize damage , they will be seen to have "gotten away with it".

Sucks man.

It's fine. The Asian teams don't even need to come to NA. They'll be back for the next world championships in a year and that's it. The Asian tournaments are much higher quality and have much better fans who are respectful and wouldn't act like the NA fans acted in this tournament. You can pretty much expect everyone to ignore the NA scene completely in the next year. There's no reason for the Asian teams to come here because there's no competition.

Any team from NA that actually wants to improve is gonna have to go to Korea.