Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vrumugun

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard
We knew the World Finals would be bad for EU so we scheduled the Playoffs to accommodate your time zone for the most part, but things obviously did not go as planned. We are really sorry about this for our EU fans. Tough to stay up late on a weekend, let anoe a Wednesday night.
How should i watch this as an EUW player? 5 pm Pacific Time means 2 am for me. The first semi-final will be around 4 am or even later. So i have to stay up the whole night and apply for holiday on Thursday, just to watch the semi-finals. I was up till 3 am in the morning (or even later) on last Saturday / Sunday, waiting for the games to continue and now you tell me, i have to do it again. Sorry, but i am very disappointed. If you cannot find good starting times for all of us on Wednesday, than delay it further. I can wait for a good solution, but this is a bad solution for all european players who have to work.

CaptainHi5

10-09-2012

Well I can agree with a few of the posts on here. If the they where found to be cheating, definitely let them play it out would be better than a DQ and funner for everyone. As for the technical issues yeah it sucks that it had to happen like that but, **** Happens if anyone is actually upset over this more than just the let down of how good of a game the CLG.eu game was and what point it was at when it dropped off, (which at most is a minor inconvenience) they will get over it.

Kyzek Torei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrumugun View Post
How should i watch this as an EUW player? 5 pm Pacific Time means 2 am for me. The first semi-final will be around 4 am or even later. So i have to stay up the whole night and apply for holiday on Thursday, just to watch the semi-finals. I was up till 3 am in the morning (or even later) on last Saturday / Sunday, waiting for the games to continue and now you tell me, i have to do it again. Sorry, but i am very disappointed. If you cannot find good starting times for all of us on Wednesday, than delay it further. I can wait for a good solution, but this is a bad solution for all european players who have to work.

If I'm not mistaken the Season 1 finals which took place at dreamhack last year were in the middle of the night for NA viewers. However, to make it easier for you, people in NA should have to request off work so it can start earlier? We dealt with it last year, so get over it and either deal with staying up all night or watch VoDs later.

Vrumugun

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyzek Torei
If I'm not mistaken the Season 1 finals which took place at dreamhack last year were in the middle of the night for NA viewers. However, to make it easier for you people in NA should have to request off work so it can start earlier? We dealt with it last year, so get over it and either deal with staying up all night or watch VoDs later.
Why not on Friday? I don't have a problem with staying up late on weekends. I'm very sure the Season 1 finals were on a weekend and not in the middle of the week when everybody has to work.

Pannucci

10-09-2012

I find it kinda funny that people only put their own opinion into consideration. Although that is mainly society anyways, which is a large reason why society is so uneffetive. As a large company like Riot is, from the given evidence the most effective course of action would be to created a rematch between TSM vs Azubu. Now many people will not believe TSM deserves another chance, that they lost and cheating was only on one game, or they hate TSM or love Azubu. However, as a company you must consider everything. First off they have to consider precident from this tournament and previous they have run, and the precident is a full rematch. Second, TSM is a company and although many people hate big businesses (which although you may consider yourself democratic, the idea of large corporations is capitolism which means you really shouldn't live in america if you believe this due to the fact that our society will never change from this course), the best course of action for Riot as a business is a rematch because it increases profit margains with potentially 3 additional matches. Third, the mission of this tournament is to find the best team in the world, and although cheating on 1 game may seem unsubstatial, in all actuality it creates a scewed result and therefore does not follow the integrity of the system and its ideals if left alone. The fourth and final reason is ethics. I know many people have not taken ethics as a class but those of you who have like myself will understand where I am coming from. I went to a military school where ethics are considered very important and therefore I have studied ethics much more than the average person on these boards, however ethically you must decide what is the best decision based on the facts, reguardless if it is the most popular and ethically the actions taken by Azubu should consequate a rematch because ethically that is the lesser evil. Ethics isn't always what might sound the coolest but the evils of preventing TSM a fair matchup vs Azubu being forced to win again would go toward TSM ethically and this may be hard to understand but the correct decision would be to allow TSM a rematch for these four reasons. Yes there are a few reasons against it and some group of people will be upset reguardless of the decision but as a company trying to illustate their belief in fairness and excellence to the world, the correct decision is to allow a rematch to TSM.

Proximus D

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
The reason we went our open headset solution was because we feel strongly that the players should be part of the atmosphere and crowd experience, instead of sectioned off in a booth. This allows the players to be easy to watch and accessible to the live audience.
I think it's a great solution, and I've read that at least CLG.eu also does prefer it over booths.

Of course crowd cheers indicating baron attemps etc. or even hidden hand signs (i.e. "baseball sign language") might be a minor concern, but I think overall it's much better than having the teams sitting in booths or totally different places.

Caucxican

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximus D View Post
I think it's a great solution, and I've read that at least CLG.eu also does prefer it over booths.

Of course crowd cheers indicating baron attemps etc. or even hidden hand signs (i.e. "baseball sign language") might be a minor concern, but I think overall it's much better than having the teams sitting in booths or totally different places.
I think the crowd at Finals need to all be aware that they can still be heard if cheering loud enough and stop themselves from cheering when a team does anything the other team should not be aware of or at least save the applause till after the play.

Dazrix

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucxican View Post
I think the crowd at Finals need to all be aware that they can still be heard if cheering loud enough and stop themselves from cheering when a team does anything the other team should not be aware of or at least save the applause till after the play.
This I can agree with you on - Like Tennis spectator rules.

IS1130ca93c056a16e55514

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannucci View Post
I find it kinda funny that people only put their own opinion into consideration. Although that is mainly society anyways, which is a large reason why society is so uneffetive. As a large company like Riot is, from the given evidence the most effective course of action would be to created a rematch between TSM vs Azubu. Now many people will not believe TSM deserves another chance, that they lost and cheating was only on one game, or they hate TSM or love Azubu. However, as a company you must consider everything. First off they have to consider precident from this tournament and previous they have run, and the precident is a full rematch. Second, TSM is a company and although many people hate big businesses (which although you may consider yourself democratic, the idea of large corporations is capitolism which means you really shouldn't live in america if you believe this due to the fact that our society will never change from this course), the best course of action for Riot as a business is a rematch because it increases profit margains with potentially 3 additional matches. Third, the mission of this tournament is to find the best team in the world, and although cheating on 1 game may seem unsubstatial, in all actuality it creates a scewed result and therefore does not follow the integrity of the system and its ideals if left alone. The fourth and final reason is ethics. I know many people have not taken ethics as a class but those of you who have like myself will understand where I am coming from. I went to a military school where ethics are considered very important and therefore I have studied ethics much more than the average person on these boards, however ethically you must decide what is the best decision based on the facts, reguardless if it is the most popular and ethically the actions taken by Azubu should consequate a rematch because ethically that is the lesser evil. Ethics isn't always what might sound the coolest but the evils of preventing TSM a fair matchup vs Azubu being forced to win again would go toward TSM ethically and this may be hard to understand but the correct decision would be to allow TSM a rematch for these four reasons. Yes there are a few reasons against it and some group of people will be upset reguardless of the decision but as a company trying to illustate their belief in fairness and excellence to the world, the correct decision is to allow a rematch to TSM.
U think we read this? XD

Eggimannd

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
We obviously decided against sound proof booths for the World Championship. Booths aren't completely soundproof. They still use the same methods as we're doing with headsets - pumping white noise in. Ive talked to a variety of players, and you really have the same exact same issues with booths you can still hear the muffled sound of crowd noise, which can telegraph plays. Its something were constantly thinking about ways of improving.

The reason we went our open headset solution was because we feel strongly that the players should be part of the atmosphere and crowd experience, instead of sectioned off in a booth. This allows the players to be easy to watch and accessible to the live audience.

As for the line of sight issue, we are working to address players not being able to look over the backs and up at the screens. We will be creating an overhang so this is no longer viable, and it'll be fixed for the conclusion of the playoffs as well as the finals.

In the long run, we'll continue looking at our options and picking what we think is best based on feedback and experience. Nothing's off the table.
Everyone else uses booths for their big tournaments. Fact is booths would have been the best option.