Our Thoughts on Playoffs Day 3

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCF

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2012

In my opinion putting those two giant minimaps that spectators do NOT care about was just a bad idea. I also thought for long time that the giant screen had the usual five minutes delay that is usually applied to spectator mode. You basically gave them every mean to cheat and "obliging" them to face forward is just a bad way to deal with it.

Sorry for poor grammar.

EDIT: I also think that you should address the most important topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBeard View Post
ha - that it was!

Mirodir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxAwp666 View Post
If you had sound proof booths this wouldn't have been an issue now would it?
Or if the sound-proof headsets would actually be soundproof.
The crouds cheers are giving away dragon-sneaks etc.

Redrowen

10-07-2012

Quote:
"We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate."
Another reason why Booths would be important. If crowd CHEERS are able to penetrate the soundproof headset's enough that it would distract and cause a player to break the rules (Turning away from the screen during a match even if it was not for maliciousness) than they clearly do not work well enough. Crowd cheering is good information to players since if YOUR TEAM isn't up to something the enemy must be.

As for the AZ TSM Game ~ Keep in mind I personally don't care if either team won but there was some suspicious activity at the start. Review all other tournament matches and find one other game where there would be a reason to send a blind skillship into top bush to check right after a random ping landed on 4 TSM members in a location that would be impossible to determine at that point. Top lane is almost zero activity early on and catching a whole team there first is very strange. Not saying there are reasons for a DQ, just simply saying it's a clear violation.

All in all, thanks for posting an update and here's to hoping that Day 3 Repeat runs smoothy.

~ P.S: MAKE A TOURNAMENT LAN COPY OF LOL ~

Sevorast

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
He said that the viewers a t home "are just a number", among other stuff I can't remember.

Mind you, this was after the final connection issue. I'm pretty sure he was tired and wasn't thinking about what he was saying and his mind was just desperately grasping for something to make the live audience feel better...
He responded to this on twitter and reddit. What he said was that he meant casting to a million people feels the same as casting to 1 person, because in the end you are just talking at a camera. While being surrounded by thousands of people has a very real energy to it and you feed off the energy.

Makes sense to me, also remember he an Englishman, they have a very dry/blunt way of speaking that some people find very offensive even when no offense is intended.

Kelenas

10-07-2012

Quote:

Those are the primary incidents that have been reported, but we are also investigating other alleged instances. More importantly, we are taking steps to completely ensure the screens are not visible to players at the conclusion of the Playoffs and Finals.
How was such an oversight allowed in the first place? Having integral information up in a place the competitors to see and just having them in "soundproof" headsets is just asking for there to be a problem. Soundproof booths with no sight to the screens should have been the first priority, not something that comes up only after it has shown itself to be a problem.

NoIntestines

10-07-2012

The first one through the wall always gets bloody. Yesterday sucked but I know it won't stop Riot from trying to make League into a top-notch esport. Keep this train a-rollin'.

Guid0 Gross

Recruiter

10-07-2012

Enjoyed the heck out of the first two days, sorry to see the 3rd day go south but still can't wait for the conclusion of worlds!

Zerglinator

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevorast View Post
He responded to this on twitter and reddit. What he said was that he meant casting to a million people feels the same as casting to 1 person, because in the end you are just talking at a camera. While being surrounded by thousands of people has a very real energy to it and you feed off the energy.

Makes sense to me, also remember he an Englishman, they have a very dry/blunt way of speaking that some people find very offensive even when no offense is intended.
Like I said, he probably was tired and not thinking of how his comments could be interpreted.

YouHearThat

10-07-2012

why the **** is the tournament being played ONLINE??!?!? how come there isn't an offline client

Li7hium oOo

10-07-2012

Quote:
Hey guys,

After two days of smooth sailing during the World Playoffs, Day 3 was disappointing. We’ve spent today investigating and reviewing the problems, and I’d like to go through and address some of the community’s big concerns surrounding yesterday’s issues.

In hindsight, the potential visibility of minimap screens for players was a mistake. Despite on-site referees, close monitoring of player cams backstage, and stage design that ensured players would have to turn more than 90 degrees to be able to catch a glimpse of the minimaps, even the possibility of unfair play was simply unacceptable. We’re taking steps to ensure the minimap screens are not visible to players.

We are re-examining photos, videos and renders of the stage layout to definitively understand sight lines between the players on-stage and the minimaps overhead. We’re taking it a step further moving forward to completely ensure the screens aren’t visible to players.

Forward-facing camera angles can be misleading and we want to make sure everyone has the full picture before drawing any conclusions. This is something that we believe requires a comprehensive investigation but we absolutely understand why it’s cause for alarm.

In the meantime, here’s a quick overview of the two primary minimap incidents we’ve been reviewing:

TSM/Azubu game

• Azubu Frost had a microphone issue that didn’t allow them to communicate during the opening of the game. As a result, the game was paused.
  • It was noticed that both teams had players that were shifting their bodies during the pause. Blanket warnings were issued to both Azubu Frost & TSM.
  • Referees decided to issue a restart, as a) Reginald & Chaox had concerns about screen looking and b) Azubu’s communications disadvantage could reasonably be interpreted as requiring a restart under tournament rules.
  • No further incidents of screen-looking were witnessed during this match.

Team WE/CLG.eu game

• A player from Team WE was not facing forward for a moment during the 3rd and final restarted game before we wrapped for the night.
  • We’ve reviewed the existing footage and firsthand accounts from our referees, and we believe the player’s head turn may have been in response to a loud vuvuzela and crowd cheering. We haven’t found conclusive evidence either way and are continuing to investigate.

Those are the primary incidents that have been reported, but we are also investigating other alleged instances. More importantly, we are taking steps to completely ensure the screens are not visible to players at the conclusion of the Playoffs and Finals.

Hardware and connection issues are harder to prepare for. Video cards can explode. Network cables can short out. Headsets can die. While we can pause and restore games, if any of those things happen in the middle of a teamfight, it will impact the course of the game dramatically. Long-term, we know we need better solutions for this and it is a priority.

Regarding yesterday’s connection failures, we had a string of issues including a power failure, and two internet connectivity incidents we are continuing to investigate. It sucks that this happened, but we’re going to dive deep into the root cause to see if there are any other redundancies that could safeguard against this in the future.

We’re trying to deliver an extraordinary experience for viewers, and yesterday didn’t live up to our goals. We’re going to take everything we’ve learned from the Playoffs and strive to make the remainder of the Quarter- and Semifinals, as well as the Finals, as great as we can make them.

In the long run, looking to season 3 and beyond, we’re always learning and we’re reading all your feedback and taking it to heart. We believe the most important concern here is about fairness, and we’re going to do everything we can to preserve that moving forward.

League of Legends as an eSport is young, and we’re learning a lot with each event. This is the run-up to our Superbowl, and we’ve really been pouring our blood, sweat and tears into it. We’re as disappointed as you are that yesterday had so many issues, but we’re committed to improving, so that’s what we’re going to try to do.

Right now we’re focused on setting up the conclusion of the Playoffs, and we’ll have more details on that shortly.

Thanks,

RedBeard
I am glad you came forward to try and clean all this mess. However, you should remove what I "bolded" out on your post. There is already proof enough that refutes what you have stated there. Woong clearly looked at the mini-map and pinged the precise location where TSM was...

Apart from that, and like I said at the start of my post, I'm glad we have finally someone from Riot acknowledging there was indeed an issue (unlike RiotTiza to whom, apparently, everything went smooth as silk).

There is no shame in making a mistake but what I find intolerable is trying to mask it by saying everything was okay when there is proof everywhere saying otherwise.

Anyway, good luck with what is left of the tournament.