A Look at the Frost Archer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Halegorn

09-19-2012

Everyone knows who Ashe is. A decent, reliable, all around good pick for a team. She offers decent cc to her team and has some great qualities, but I feel she is lacking for an ad carry. I will explain my thought processes behind each ability and her current pros and cons. This thread will not delve into items and will not say that she is perfect with items, all champions are.

Focus - While out of combat, Ashe's Critical Strike chance increases every 3 seconds for her next attack.

This is my main problem with Ashe. Hardly a passive at all. Gives her critical strike chance for NOT ATTACKING. An ad carry who needs to not attack to have a passive? Worthless. My proposition is to change it to something more useful such as this.

Rally Ashe gains 3% critical strike chance for each successive auto attack for 4 seconds. Critical strike chance bonus is lost upon critical strike.

This will let Ashe be rewarded for auto attacking and aid her in last hitting minions. The point of her old passive was to let her have more critical strikes than a normal ad carry. I think this is much more useful because it will benefit her throughout a team fight and for multiple attacks instead of just one attack.

Frost Shot - While active, each of Ashe's basic attacks slow her targets. This drains Mana with each attack.Toggle: Ashe's basic attacks slow her targets by 15/20/25/30/35% for 2 seconds.Cost: 8 Mana per Attack Range 0

Nothing wrong with this skill. If I could change anything, I would change the mana cost to be lower at lower levels so she does not go OOM when she tries to go for an early kill. Other than that, fine as it is.

Volley - Ashe fires 7 arrows in a cone for increased damage. Volley also applies Ashe's current level of Frost Shot. Ashe fires 7 arrows in a cone, dealing 40/50/60/70/80 (+1.0) physical damage. Volley also applies Frost Shot. Cost: 60 Mana Range: 600

Not a bad skill by any means, but I think it falls off in late game. It stacks with total ad which is nice and can hit multiple enemies and has some nice early damage. I would like to see it changed to a more Graves like ability where multiple arrows can hit the same enemy. This change would reward Ashe for proper positioning and punish her for improper positioning. The arrows can still be blocked by minions and tanks and lets a tank stop multiple arrows for their team. It could be compensated with slightly less damage and a slightly longer cooldown.

Hawkshot - Each time Ashe kills a unit, she gains some extra gold. Ashe can activate to send her Hawk Spirit on a scouting mission. Passive: Ashe gains 1/2/3/4/5 extra gold whenever she kills a unit. Active: Ashe animates a hawk to scout for her, revealing terrain as it flies toward target location. Total Gold Retrieved: 1.0/2.0/3.0/4.0/5.0 gold. Cost: No Cost Range: 2500/3250/4000/4750/5500

Another meh ability. I like the scouting feature for checking baron, dragon, ganks, etc. I think the gold increase is rather useless though. I will say Ashe gets around 250 minion kills in a game depending on length and player. At max ranks, this gives her 1250 gold, but it is often the last ability leveled so it will probably be closer to around 500-700, which isn't terribly valuable. I would instead give her a buff such as increased attack speed, critical chance, or something else. The passive will be applied only when the ability is not on cooldown. This will make Ashe a stronger champion and more able to keep par with other ad carries.

Enchanted Crystal Arrow - Ashe fires a missile of ice in a straight line. If the arrow collides with an enemy Champion, it deals damage and stuns the Champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on how far the arrow has traveled. In addition, surrounding enemy units take damage and are slowed. Fires a large arrow in a straight line. If it hits an enemy champion, it will deal 250/425/600 (+1) magic damage and stun that champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on the distance the arrow traveled. Additionally, surrounding units take half the damage and are slowed by 50% for 3 seconds. Cost: 150 Mana Range: 20000

A great ability through and through, but I would like to see some changes. It provides awesome utility, one of the best initiates in the game and a decent finisher. Has a generous stun at long range and lends a great deal to her dueling abilities. What I would like to see is a small mana cost reduction to 125, and nerfing the base damage but making it scale with bonus attack damage. This would make it a better damage dealer late game as well as good utility and wouldn't hurt so much early game. Ashe never builds ap if she is smart and I think it would be better with ad scaling. Champions like Tristana have a viable AP route so ap ratios are fine with her, but as her 2nd damage dealing ability and only one that has an ap ratio, it is useless to have an ap ratio. It is still good without the ad ratio, but I think it would be better for Ashe to have an ad ratio on it.

Pros for Ashe:
600 range
Longest potential stun in the game
Fairly good early burst
A built in slow
Scouting capabilities

Cons for Ashe:
Squishy as hell (make sense for ad carry)
Very slow movement speed (also typical)
No escapes or gap closers
All skill shots (debatable)
Mana issues early game
No steroids
A worthless passive
Only two damage abilities

All in all, Ashe is a decent and safe pick for all levels. She is not a bad champion, she is not a superb champion. I think she is very fun to play, and she is very balanced right now, but I think she is lacking compared to other AD carries like Ezreal, Graves, or Vayne. They all contain gap closers, steroids, more than two damage dealing abilities, and some degree of cc or debuffs. So as an ad carry, she isn't amazing and isn't terrible. I don't think any of my changes are terribly game breaking or ruining her gameplay, but I do feel they are needed to make her more viable to the competition.

TealNinje

09-19-2012

I do not consider Ashe to be an AD carry. Why? Because she has no steroid.

Mieczyslaw

09-19-2012

Ashe is a tried and true queen of ad carrys, there's nothing wrong with her so stop with these god-tier suggestions

DesertFox

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieczyslaw View Post
Ashe is a tried and true queen of ad carrys, there's nothing wrong with her so stop with these god-tier suggestions
Losing faith as these kids replying to a detailed post with no logic, no math and no effort. Just "she's fine, shut up". Please give something constructive or you stfu.

DragonHeartxxx

09-19-2012

agreed she needs to be fixed

DarksideEric

09-19-2012

Would there be any opposition to giving damage to Hawkshot? Maybe some sort of CC?

CerealBoxOfDoom

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halegorn View Post
Focus - While out of combat, Ashe's Critical Strike chance increases every 3 seconds for her next attack.

This is my main problem with Ashe. Hardly a passive at all. Gives her critical strike chance for NOT ATTACKING. An ad carry who needs to not attack to have a passive? Worthless. My proposition is to change it to something more useful such as this.

Rally Ashe gains 3% critical strike chance for each successive auto attack for 4 seconds. Critical strike chance bonus is lost upon critical strike.

This will let Ashe be rewarded for auto attacking and aid her in last hitting minions. The point of her old passive was to let her have more critical strikes than a normal ad carry. I think this is much more useful because it will benefit her throughout a team fight and for multiple attacks instead of just one attack.
I feel this change in the passive would make ashe a lot less interesting, she'd be like cait and yi. I would however like to have that timer reduced or the crit chance bonus raised significantly. Also remember that using abilities doesn't reset it.

As for her ult, I think it absolutely shouldn't ever scale with AD. Global snipe, reveals spaces it passes, stuns and slows nearby units, and its a pretty wide hitbox. She should have to build something wierd to empower it any further. However, something that could make this better is if ashe had a reason to build this. If she had another ability that cared about ap it would be worth building a little ap for perhaps.

DarksideEric

09-19-2012

Apparently there is opposition with a downvote yet no explanation. I love these boards.

Halegorn

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
I feel this change in the passive would make ashe a lot less interesting, she'd be like cait and yi. I would however like to have that timer reduced or the crit chance bonus raised significantly. Also remember that using abilities doesn't reset it.

As for her ult, I think it absolutely shouldn't ever scale with AD. Global snipe, reveals spaces it passes, stuns and slows nearby units, and its a pretty wide hitbox. She should have to build something wierd to empower it any further. However, something that could make this better is if ashe had a reason to build this. If she had another ability that cared about ap it would be worth building a little ap for perhaps.
How may I ask would it make her less interesting? More interesting or not, her passive is just **** right now and needs to be changed for SOMETHING, if not this. And yes it is a global snipe but hitting it from far away is extremely difficult being a skillshot. Unless they are recalling and you aim it at the base, it will most likely miss. It just seems pointless to have one ability scale with ap when you are an ad carry, while tristana has 3 that scale with ap so it actually works on her. A trinity force is about as much ap as she should get.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2012

These would make her insanely OP, and remove much of the strategy involved with her.
Ashe is probably the only champion who has NEVER been a bad pick, and has been used in competitive play from the start of League to today.

Note: Champions are balanced as a whole, not skill by skill. You seem to be trying to make ALL her skills extremely strong at once for AD Ashe.