Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is trundle viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azazelx

10-07-2012

Hello everyone, im a die hard jungler who mains nocturne and shyvana. However i have always liked trundle (mostly cus of his lore) and i wanted to know if he is viable...i mean why would i pick trundle instead of other junglers like shyvana, nocturne, udyr, nautilus, dr mundo, skarner and alike?

RebelRider

10-07-2012

DEFINITELY i used to main him for a while, tier 1 jungler and awesome ganks.

Onimus Terlain

10-07-2012

Not really.

People say he's balanced, but it I think people just desperately want to believe a champ can be made, have no changed made to him, and still be good.

This game is all about balance and the fact that Trundle has never been changed makes him kind of a feel good story, if you will.

But he is not balanced in my opinion.

He has one of the lowest win percentages in the game. His ganks are alright, but he is so short range if the enemy has any gap closer, he doesn't stand a chance.
Unless your laner has a hard CC.

But that can't really be contributed to Trundle....

He has almost no ranged poke, he has no way to really catch up to anyone if they get a couple feet away from him.
His ult is underwhelming in terms of damage. It's scaling makes no sense.

His bite only takes away 20 AD. Early game that slows an Ad carry by bringing him back to his base AD, but late game when the AD carry has a BT and IE, reducing his AD by 20 makes absolutely no difference.
For comparison's sake, Tryndamere, who is widely considered extraordinarily UP, reduces AD by 80. And it's an AoE that may slow if you're running from him, which is great for chasing.

Plus, the animation on his Q is really bad. It actually detracts from your AS late game when you're standing on your contaminate (and this is assuming you built no AS).

His animation of his ult is also really messed up, as well as his W. The delay they cause really mess with his flow.

His E has too long of a cooldown, unless you level it. But then you have no MS/CC/AS buff from your W, which is more useful.

He's very easy to kite. He has no team fight presence late game and he can easily be ignored in team fights because all he really does is autoattack.

Now, if you're playing a team that's bad, and they split up a lot, his E can be very useful.
But other than that, it has limited usefulness in late game team fights. And your contaminate doesn't help your team at all. Your ult only affects one person and you have no AoE damage at all.

In order to Q the AD carry, which is not very effective anyway, you need to dive because you have no gap closers other than a MS buff and they can just kite you until you give up or are killed.

Overall, his kit is very underwhelming and I don't think he is very good at this stage of the game.

Lackforagoodname

10-12-2012

Quote:
Onimus Terlain:
Not really.

People say he's balanced, but it I think people just desperately want to believe a champ can be made, have no changed made to him, and still be good.

This game is all about balance and the fact that Trundle has never been changed makes him kind of a feel good story, if you will.

But he is not balanced in my opinion.

He has one of the lowest win percentages in the game. His ganks are alright, but he is so short range if the enemy has any gap closer, he doesn't stand a chance.
Unless your laner has a hard CC.

But that can't really be contributed to Trundle....

He has almost no ranged poke, he has no way to really catch up to anyone if they get a couple feet away from him.
His ult is underwhelming in terms of damage. It's scaling makes no sense.

His bite only takes away 20 AD. Early game that slows an Ad carry by bringing him back to his base AD, but late game when the AD carry has a BT and IE, reducing his AD by 20 makes absolutely no difference.
For comparison's sake, Tryndamere, who is widely considered extraordinarily UP, reduces AD by 80. And it's an AoE that may slow if you're running from him, which is great for chasing.

Plus, the animation on his Q is really bad. It actually detracts from your AS late game when you're standing on your contaminate (and this is assuming you built no AS).

His animation of his ult is also really messed up, as well as his W. The delay they cause really mess with his flow.

His E has too long of a cooldown, unless you level it. But then you have no MS/CC/AS buff from your W, which is more useful.

He's very easy to kite. He has no team fight presence late game and he can easily be ignored in team fights because all he really does is autoattack.

Now, if you're playing a team that's bad, and they split up a lot, his E can be very useful.
But other than that, it has limited usefulness in late game team fights. And your contaminate doesn't help your team at all. Your ult only affects one person and you have no AoE damage at all.

In order to Q the AD carry, which is not very effective anyway, you need to dive because you have no gap closers other than a MS buff and they can just kite you until you give up or are killed.

Overall, his kit is very underwhelming and I don't think he is very good at this stage of the game.

tl;dr: his q doesn't give/take much ad, his w is bad because it doesn't help his team, his e is good, his ult has pretty much no use and he has barely any range.

Resolute Riven

10-12-2012

I love trundle, but he isn't too viable currently.

Vuther

10-12-2012

After they fix his stupidly long animation on Q, maybe.

Aria Sachou

10-12-2012

I've played Trundle as my jungle for a while
He is great, but compared to other junglers he just lacks in presence and ganking potential

His passive is good, I wouldn't change that too much, but a 1-2% buff on it wouldn't hurt
His Q works well, but I think it should steal 10 more damage on all levels. And finally even if that doesn't happen, at the very least speed up that animation, it pretty must makes his W and any attackspeed he builds weaker.
W roots him in place when he casts it, but the effects are good. I just think that he should be able to cast while moving, like what they did with Rengar.
R: This I think is a great move. I wouldn't change anything but lower the CD on it.

Rotis4

10-12-2012

I'm an avid Trundle player and have been since his release. Back in season 1 he was great because of the old jungle and less champions with built in blinks, now its almost impossible to not be kited with him and his pillar kind of feels like a moot point in a lot of ganks. However, he can still be played to great effect in the early game against those prone to ganks and counterjungling. He also is still one of the best early and midgame duelists.

Lategame he only has 2 abilities though, his pillar and his ult. He kind of does the same thing as Irelia and Olaf lategame (dive the carry) but is much less effective at it because of his only decent damage late, unlike Olaf and Irelias huge damage output late. Don't get me wrong, it's easy to get in and dive and get to the carry but good luck killing them. His pillar is either a gamechanging teamfight utility lategame, or the enemy team with lots of blinks can work around it and you're basically useless.

He lanes like a beast against other melee champions though, you can beat pretty much any top laner at level 6 with his ult and his absurd early game damage, assuming of course somebody is dumb enough to straight up duel a trundle and not kite him around.

So no, he isn't viable right now.

In fact, my season 1 and 2 records speak for themselves. I've got a negative w/l ratio with trundle in season 2 and a highly positive w/l in season 1. No matter how well you do it seems impossible to contribute enough lategame with trundle, you basically have to stomp the early game to win and even then there are better champions at doing that and have better lategames.

Ghostoo666

10-12-2012

the way to play trundle is you have to think you're fed as **** 24/7
you gotta run in 25,000 strong and be the biggest ****ing bully
he's gotta troll-handle his opponents and his **** actually does do some decent damage

kavinh the third

10-13-2012

anything's viable you just have to be able to learn him which frankly most people are too lazy to do