Female Players - A Quick Story

1234511 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DungeonBob

10-07-2012

My wife likes the game but she won't play PVP and even is shocked in a few of the bot games she has played. Her biggest problem is the poor conduct of other players. She has been in games where she just gets downright insulted by players - all this in low level play where people are learning the game.

She has not played the game in a week since basically being tore up because she was 2-7 in her third co-op bot game. Now, I brush this off but in my experience guys are great at just shrugging this stuff off - women are not. I'm sure she'll get over it and play still but she just doesn't want to play against people like that.

She loves pvp games, she doesn't care if the other team flames at the end or if she loses, she likes playing them - she doesn't like games where there is no competition. But at the same time, she isn't used to her own team basically insulting her at every turn - it's only one or two bad players - here and there. But there is one in almost every game at low levels. Blame always has to start coming out and when a team is losing, someone looks to find the scapegoat.

Women are not going to play in a toxic community. Riot is trying to do something about it but it is about players - it's about us as a community. I love trash talk as much as the next guy - against the other team, friendly competition is a blast and I like to drop the occasional /all message "Bad Facecheck" or "You just got pwned" or whatever... eSports is not like regular sports - that banter makes the game better. But, when it comes from your own team in the form of "You suck." or "Uninstall and shoot yourself." - I mean we've all seen them. In the last tribunal I got 84 done and there was a lot of great stuff to read. I think I actually do tribunal to get a laugh with my morning coffee...

... but anyhow. Things we need to do as a community to attract women (by the way, I market to women as a career) to this game:

1. Don't trash talk our own teams. Save it for the opponent and keep it entertaining and friendly. Women love to talk trash - and it's hilarious when my wife kills people. She purposely chose a name that would be insulting to be killed by - think something along the lines of RainbowUnicorn.... that's not it but it's close. We need to stop harassing our team - half this game is cooperation and sticking together as a team.

2. Create a better learning curve. This game is intense to learn. There is literally no learning curve - it's a freaking cliff that you get pushed off of. Create a longer objective based tutorial that introduces everything from laning to meta to jungling - tutorials on dragon and baron... different buffs... etc... There is a quick tutorial and there isn't really an objective based tutorial - which women love by the way... Reward tutorial completion with Icons that show they have been through the "training" I think women like collecting the non-essentials way more than guys. Keep in mind this too - in families and couples that are over 26 years old - women are the primary decision makers of where money goes. Yep, men might still earn more but women are deciding where it goes.

3. Make a push to get women in the game. There is no marketing focused towards women - they need to push to get women shoutcasters, major community players and even if they don't play as well make them a media focus. Take a look at Danica Patrick from Nascar. She has pretty bad Nascar position, can't drive as well as men but is a figurehead in the Nascar scene - because more women start paying attention when there is a woman driver... she is a spokesperson now for all kinds of stuff. It's easy - you just have to create something women can attach themselves too.

4. Women's League. I am not saying bar women from competing in normal events. But they aren't in them now. In two full seasons, I don't think I have seen a woman on a team. The answer to push women to play. Create their own league where you have to be a woman to compete in it. I say again, do not bar women from the normal events by creating a men's league and women's league.... but create a women's league. You will open a lot of doors to women playing when they get to compete with one another.

.... sorry, a quick story turned into something more...

fishFUNK

10-07-2012

Female players - If you TLDR the above post, I would like to play LoL naked with you all day... I am dreamy.

dooder

10-07-2012

The in game "community" is total garbage (not just for females) and it always will be.

NeedleMouse

10-07-2012

All aside I play co-op bot games with my gf all the time so if you ever need a player to play with send me a request in game JigglingWibble

Thessalus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonBob View Post
4. Women's League. I am not saying bar women from competing in normal events. But they aren't in them now. In two full seasons, I don't think I have seen a woman on a team. The answer to push women to play. Create their own league where you have to be a woman to compete in it. I say again, do not bar women from the normal events by creating a men's league and women's league.... but create a women's league. You will open a lot of doors to women playing when they get to compete with one another.
There is a brazilian team named PaiNGirls and they are pretty good. Last game I saw they were winning in a tourney.

But the idea is a good incentive.

KatsuKarei

10-07-2012

I try to be gender-neutral so i can act like a man. But I like the idea of women's league. Male players tend to think they're so much better than us and trash talk us all the time. It's kinda annoying. Well no one ever pointed out im a female just saying

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsuKarei View Post
I try to be gender-neutral so i can act like a man. But I like the idea of women's league. Male players tend to think they're so much better than us and trash talk us all the time. It's kinda annoying. Well no one ever pointed out im a female just saying
A women's league would not help your case. This thread is stupid, we are not under the reign of Victoria. Women are not dainty flowers that need to be protected; some of the most ardent "gamer girls" can release a slew of swears that would put the average stereotypical male gamer to shame. To even suggest a women's league implies some kind of sexist female inferiority, such that they need to be protected from this boorish male dominated league.

Awaken Easley

10-07-2012

Quote:
My wife likes the game but she won't play PVP and even is shocked in a few of the bot games she has played. Her biggest problem is the poor conduct of other players. She has been in games where she just gets downright insulted by players - all this in low level play where people are learning the game.

She has not played the game in a week since basically being tore up because she was 2-7 in her third co-op bot game. Now, I brush this off but in my experience guys are great at just shrugging this stuff off - women are not. I'm sure she'll get over it and play still but she just doesn't want to play against people like that.

She loves pvp games, she doesn't care if the other team flames at the end or if she loses, she likes playing them - she doesn't like games where there is no competition. But at the same time, she isn't used to her own team basically insulting her at every turn - it's only one or two bad players - here and there. But there is one in almost every game at low levels. Blame always has to start coming out and when a team is losing, someone looks to find the scapegoat.

Women are not going to play in a toxic community. Riot is trying to do something about it but it is about players - it's about us as a community. I love trash talk as much as the next guy - against the other team, friendly competition is a blast and I like to drop the occasional /all message "Bad Facecheck" or "You just got pwned" or whatever... eSports is not like regular sports - that banter makes the game better. But, when it comes from your own team in the form of "You suck." or "Uninstall and shoot yourself." - I mean we've all seen them. In the last tribunal I got 84 done and there was a lot of great stuff to read. I think I actually do tribunal to get a laugh with my morning coffee...

... but anyhow. Things we need to do as a community to attract women (by the way, I market to women as a career) to this game:

1. Don't trash talk our own teams. Save it for the opponent and keep it entertaining and friendly. Women love to talk trash - and it's hilarious when my wife kills people. She purposely chose a name that would be insulting to be killed by - think something along the lines of RainbowUnicorn.... that's not it but it's close. We need to stop harassing our team - half this game is cooperation and sticking together as a team.

2. Create a better learning curve. This game is intense to learn. There is literally no learning curve - it's a freaking cliff that you get pushed off of. Create a longer objective based tutorial that introduces everything from laning to meta to jungling - tutorials on dragon and baron... different buffs... etc... There is a quick tutorial and there isn't really an objective based tutorial - which women love by the way... Reward tutorial completion with Icons that show they have been through the "training" I think women like collecting the non-essentials way more than guys. Keep in mind this too - in families and couples that are over 26 years old - women are the primary decision makers of where money goes. Yep, men might still earn more but women are deciding where it goes.

3. Make a push to get women in the game. There is no marketing focused towards women - they need to push to get women shoutcasters, major community players and even if they don't play as well make them a media focus. Take a look at Danica Patrick from Nascar. She has pretty bad Nascar position, can't drive as well as men but is a figurehead in the Nascar scene - because more women start paying attention when there is a woman driver... she is a spokesperson now for all kinds of stuff. It's easy - you just have to create something women can attach themselves too.

.... sorry, a quick story turned into something more...
But that's sexism.

Ninja'd. >:|

Vertany

10-07-2012

Quote:
guys are great at just shrugging this stuff off - women are not.
Don't generalize please, it's not like we're all made of sugar. Your intention is respectable though.

Emailsúpport

10-07-2012

I am disappoint in you, General Discussion.
Online games, especially free to play ones, have always had an environment like this.
If women can't adapt, then why the heck are they even going to play the game?
Riot our doing everything they can to make this game a better place, however, there will ALWAYS be hate on the internet, ALWAYS, against everyone, especially females since this game is male dominated.
If she gets insulted by small things like "noob", "uninstall" etc, I doubt she will be able to play any online game.
Sure it's really sad but it's a free to play game with millions of players from everywhere of all ages.
Grow a thicker skin.

1234511 ... 15