I am already 17 and my parents still do this... Is this a problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempnameA461

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division Two View Post
how it was free and mentioned things like how this game has donated to charity and things. (Like the Jaximus skin sale from Make a Wish and the voice over line they did) You should be able to get your mom to fall for that.
Those weak females and their emotions..

Ask the Monkey

10-06-2012

Wow, that makes my parents look like saints.

Shiralune

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xznder BlastRage View Post
They dont want you play, they want your focus on the study, is not bad, they are thinking on your future, u will say thank you some years later
channeling the azn genes right there, I can almost see my dad in you.

Sasuke West

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by H A V O K 1988 View Post
Quite frankly, it sucks for you but it is their house and their rules. If you don't like it, when you move out let them know. However, as long as you are in their house, eating their food, respect your parents.
This is true, but some parents don't understand the internet and thus block their kids out from the negative things they hear and see on TV.

When I showed my dad the make a wish patch, about Jaximus and Joe who died, he almost teared up. It went from being this game which he thought was all about shooting and killing people, to understanding it and me being able to sometimes talk about it. He doesn't even really understand the game, all he knows is that theres fog of war where you can't see your enemies. When ever I lose and say "that was a bad game" he says "you should have gotten them to organize better and lead them"

tempnameA461

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiralune View Post
channeling the azn genes right there, I can almost see my dad in you.
Well this just got sexy.

TechnMage

10-06-2012

well when i was 14 i installed a keylogger on my own computer to get passwords, you could always try that route, also use private browsing so you don't have to delete anything afterwards. Install LoL in a hidden folder, either by hiding it in your drive or just making it hidden in properties then display hidden folders when you want to play and turn it off when you get off. You could also lower the time it takes for screen saver/power off display that way after only a minute/30 seconds it comes up, many parents won't notice you lowered it or won't think you lowered it for a specific reason.

Personally i would do 1 of 2 things, bring up the point you have no motivation to do any work/chores or the such as you are not rewarded for it(ie you can't spend your money, you don't get access to anything for doing your chores) or look up some scientific articles detailing the affects of computers and games on people, and possibly some that backup argument #1, basically make a scientific/essay that you give them and you will not take "because they know it is bad" as an answer because however unfortunate it is, they are not professionals in the field and as such their words do not carry weight in the matter. Maybe look up some informal logic stuff, call them on any slippery slope arguments they throw at you and make sure they reference everything they try and combat you with

Memorylame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

you should probably let your parents know that they are wasting their time and their valuable lesson is falling on deaf ears...it may save you having to hear them drone on about how they must have 'failed as parents' after you don't act like a little clone of all their behaviours and lessons after you move out to start your adult life in a year or 3...'Why have you forsaken me lord? All our heartfelt advice and tough love and little Johnny is spending 3 hours with SATAN playing videogames everynight. And we can do not about it for he is a man with his own roof over his head. WHY did you NOT give me the power lord to see the evil in his slothful ways?...' *collective crazy parent sob*

MadSeer

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by H A V O K 1988 View Post
Quite frankly, it sucks for you but it is their house and their rules. If you don't like it, when you move out let them know. However, as long as you are in their house, eating their food, respect your parents.
But a kid that can recognize the stupidity in his parents, if stupidity there is, will be better off for it.

Gringo

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolerMorto View Post
My mother was like this when i was 12-15. After i turned 15 i left my mothers house and moved in with my father(divorced). I was allowed to pretty much do whatever i want. I stayed up till 2-4 in the morning playing ultima online then went to school and slept threw 3-4 classes. I always did my homework in class and made A's and a few B's (English obviously). It wasnt until my Jr. year when I got into a fight in school which landed me 20 days in SAC(in school suspension all day in a class room from 6:30 am to 5:30 am) where my the majority of my teachers didnt give me my work so i failed 4 out of 7 classes. (20 days out of a 90 day semester is pretty ridiculous) After this i lost all motiviation and faith in school and refused to do work. Luckily for me I had a scholarship for Duke University for my Pre-Sat scores in 8th grade. (scored 1300 on a 1600 scale) Unluckily for me the scholarship was nulled after my GPA dropped from a 3.8 to a 2.5.

If I could go back i would have never gotten in that fight. Gotten all A's and a few B's just be getting out of college this year or last and probably have an Engineering degree of some sort. However I got lucky and got a pretty sweet job I work for the Stage Hand Union in las vegas nevada i make anywhere from $27-37 an hour depending if I'm desingated as a carpenter, grounder rigger, electrician, high rigger, audio video tech, or a head of any of the things I listed. I've only been in the union for a year so I am still building up my reputation but I've already made over 50K in 1 year and made 4k the passed 2 weeks.

TLR I did very well in school while i was limited to a certain amount of internet time. After I had no restrictions everything went down the sh*tter. Now that im 23 I've made 50k in a year doing something I enjoy (I set up events like IPL4 at the cosmo and all the tournaments)
My parents bought me my first computer at 13. (I'm 14 now.)

I played anywhere from 12PM-5AM at night, due to the off time where no one would disturb me.

I had no limits on the computer, besides that I had to go out for Muay Thai (Thailand extreme martial arts) every Friday Night at 7-8PM.

I would go home, open up LoL and play from the (listed times above)
I would do my homework at the bare minimum, but I would always pass and get above average. (They don't do B's and C's here, well least not in this Education System nowadays)
I got a 5.75 (Above Average, or A+) on a 3,000 word Data Analysis that took me over 3 weeks to gather information for.
I had scored above 85% on my Science tests, my Media studies tests and virtually any other test we had.

I currently start work with my parents, at a restaraunt. Making $13-15 an hour, to clean plates and dishes, setting up tables and greet and seat. (Not allowed behind a bar, to sell, or even touch a glass with Alcohol in it.)

TL;DR
It works for people in different ways, I thrived on a computer and it was because I had the FREEDOM to do it whenever I wanted it fit me better.
It also opened options to have fun, and mellow out whenever I had completed my assignments.

So OP, I think your parents care about your grades and your future; just in a very different way, that affects you emotionally as a person.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Morto

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

If you want freedom drugs, alcohol, and ***. The way your parents sound this would give them a heart attack. Every time they ground your or ask what the hell you are doing just tell them, "Well I used to spend my time playing video games and studying but since I'm not allowed to play video games anymore the stress got to me and I made a few bad friends" Huehue science troll your parents maybe you will be able to open their eyes. Otherwise you will just get your a$$ beat and you can keep trying depending on the beatings it might be worth it it might now