Need More Magic Resist Items!

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

axesandspears

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailor Made View Post
Well that still doesn't change anything. As a tank there just aren't as many good options for magic resist as there are for armor. You can choose between the Force of Nature or Banshees Veil which are great but i would like more than 2 options when I'm getting raped by AP carries
Those options are sufficient.
If you want more magic resistance, just build more items with the stat.

I recommend just getting about 150 mr and building health for the rest of your magic defense. The burst/cooldown nature of magic damage restricts its damage output, so it is more easily absorbed by stacking health than physical damage. This is one of the reasons why magic resistance is less common than armor.

Magic resistance is less common than armor for two reasons:
-There is more total physical damage than magic damage in any given game.
-Magic damage has a lower potential cap, with a burst/cd nature that makes it easier to soak and ignore.

If you want to play tanks/bruisers, then you need to understand that physical damage will outstrip magic damage in almost all games, so most of your builds should be armor-heavy as opposed to magic resistance heavy, and you should often defend yourself against magic damage by building more health rather than more magic resistance.

A general rule:
-If carry/physical is killing you, focus on health and armor--Primarily armor from strong items like Frozen Heart and Randuin's Omen!
-If mage/magic is killing you, focus on health and magic resistance--Build 100-150 total magic resistance, and then focus more heavily on health for most of the rest of that magic defense.

The nature of magic damage is such that items like Sunfire Cape, Warmog's Armor, and Soulshroud are all great for surviving it once you have 100-150 magic resistance.

jloysnenph

10-07-2012

Quote:
Well that still doesn't change anything. As a tank there just aren't as many good options for magic resist as there are for armor. You can choose between the Force of Nature or Banshees Veil which are great but i would like more than 2 options when I'm getting raped by AP carries
solution.

Buy both. Profit!

3mptylord

10-07-2012

The way you've presented your list doesn't really make it look like Magic Resist has it bad. The list is too long.

You should do, for example:

Glacial Shroud: +45 armor -> Frozen Heart: +99 armor
Banshee's Veil / Odyn's Veil: +50 magic resist

Sonic Nova

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
I have done the math.

Too many times.

To have to repost it.

For people who won't use the Search bar.

A magic Thornmail, balance-wise, mechanically and mathematically would break the game over its knee, spank it with a cast-iron frying pan, and then re-break it over the other knee. There is no way that it would be balanced on an item, and it would be VERY precarious as a champion-specific active spell.

Do not wantonly suggest something to balance a game when you don't understand how it's balanced, please.

No, AP does NOT scale harder than AD. You want to know why?
1. AP almost never scales into auto attacks, and when it does, it's less than 100%
2. AP does not scale with Critical Strike
3. Pointing back at #1, AP mostly scales less than 100% on a skill with a cooldown that is, much more often than not, longer than a champion's level 1 attack speed.

And to the OP, do you want to know why there is more Armor than MR? Well, that would be because AP does not scale as well into late game as AD (as I just stated a few lines above).
Then you've never been in a situation where you're the designated team tank, built with a metric ton of armor, HP, and MR, then the enemy AP carry, most of the time LB in my case, will just come by and 1-hit kill you. Every tank suffers from not having many different options for MR to soak up AP damage. Having an item that has high MR and returns AP damage would great benefit tanks, as they wouldn't be 1 hit by a LB or instantly nuked to hell by an Annie or Ryze. They really do need to add more MR options, especially an item to return magic damage, screw stats, research, and study. MR is pricey as it is, and even when you build enough of it you can still be 1-hit killed by AP carries.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
You've got a lot more than you're naming.

Abyssal Scepter (Tanks get into range for the aura all the time, and most scale well with AP)
Aegis of the Legion (Buy. This. Item. Seriously. It's support-tank crack)
Hexdrinker/Maw (for the few AD-scaling tanks like Jarvan IV)
Chalice (MR and MP5, it's not just for AP carries buddy)
Guardian Angel (only if you really get focused a lot, but still exists as a choice)
Mercury. ****ing. Treads. No need to explain.

That list I just gave you? 57, 33 (15 on an aura), 35/55, 30/40, 36 and 25. You can take your pick from that list if you're really getting destroyed by AP carries. And you wanna know something special about AP champions? Most of them don't deal %HP damage, so actually if you pick up something like Warmog's you multiply your life expectancy far more than stacking a ton of MR.

And how many AP carries does the enemy team have? Last I checked, maybe up to 3 if you count the support, and they're all retarded if they're focusing the tank when their job is to immobilize the carries. Don't complain when you die as a tank, that's almost in your job description
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nova View Post
Then you've never been in a situation where you're the designated team tank, built with a metric ton of armor, HP, and MR, then the enemy AP carry, most of the time LB in my case, will just come by and 1-hit kill you. Every tank suffers from not having many different options for MR to soak up AP damage. Having an item that has high MR and returns AP damage would great benefit tanks, as they wouldn't be 1 hit by a LB or instantly nuked to hell by an Annie or Ryze. They really do need to add more MR options, especially an item to return magic damage, screw stats, research, and study. MR is pricey as it is, and even when you build enough of it you can still be 1-hit killed by AP carries.
Oh, I've played designated tank before. Never had a Leblanc 1-shot me--hell, I haven't had a Leblanc do that to me when I was a basic AP mid like Brand (mostly because she has to use a full spell rotation, half of which is completely dodgeable skill shots). Same with Annie and Ryze; not only do they have to use many more than one spell, but there's no way you should be dying that fast as a tank unless someone fed them so hard that they're out of control anyway.

If you want to ignore stats, research and actual intelligence, I suppose you can go make your own MOBA and balance it to your tastes. However, not only have players with brains managed to prove that this is an idea so far beyond broken that the game would literally become unplayable due to loop-crashing, I'm pretty damn sure someone asked Riot directly about it and was refuted directly on this subject.

So, screw your lack of care for balance.

Preest HD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloysnenph View Post
solution.

Buy both. Profit!
...He was implying that he buys both, smh. I've played games as many a tank; against malz, lb, cass, veigar, and ryze; getting murdered even with 76%, or more, reduced magic damage. With the options of spell vamp, building healthy mage with magic pen, and deathfire grasp, it is far too easy to survive and burst down tanks and teams thereafter. I understand Exdeadman's point, but with cd, as any burst mage, along with deathfire u can kill most anyone in a 2 sec burst.

Preest HD

10-07-2012

And I'm not saying that we need a magic damage thornmail, but it would be nice to see some more options O.o js...

Preest HD

10-07-2012

I speak the truth and get down voted xD I'm not even being unreasonable... lol, but yeah. Down vote me to hell because u know I've made a point. These aren't opinions I'm stating, I speak only from experience 8D

JustMyBassCannon

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Preest View Post
I speak the truth and get down voted xD I'm not even being unreasonable... lol, but yeah. Down vote me to hell because u know I've made a point. These aren't opinions I'm stating, I speak only from experience 8D
I'm speaking the truth from 3 years of experience, and about a years worth of buildup from seeing so many stupid threads inflating my ego due to actually having the intelligence to process how large portions of the game are balanced, unlike 80% of forum posters.

I will be slightly arrogant, maybe even a total ******* in some posts. But the worst part? I'll rarely be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Preest View Post
...He was implying that he buys both, smh. I've played games as many a tank; against malz, lb, cass, veigar, and ryze; getting murdered even with 76%, or more, reduced magic damage. With the options of spell vamp, building healthy mage with magic pen, and deathfire grasp, it is far too easy to survive and burst down tanks and teams thereafter. I understand Exdeadman's point, but with cd, as any burst mage, along with deathfire u can kill most anyone in a 2 sec burst.
Now, in the case you're explaining right here, you are showcasing stupid AP carries who are focusing the tank on your team first. If they're focusing the tank first, where is your AD and AP carry to focus them while they're too busy tickling you, mister tank? Or did you really not build enough defense to tank yet?

Preest HD

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
I'm speaking the truth from 3 years of experience, and about a years worth of buildup from seeing so many stupid threads inflating my ego due to actually having the intelligence to process how large portions of the game are balanced, unlike 80% of forum posters.

I will be slightly arrogant, maybe even a total ******* in some posts. But the worst part? I'll rarely be wrong.

Now, in the case you're explaining right here, you are showcasing stupid AP carries who are focusing the tank on your team first. If they're focusing the tank first, where is your AD and AP carry to focus them while they're too busy tickling you, mister tank? Or did you really not build enough defense to tank yet?
3 years experience, eh? Not impressed. Seen ur profile... the case I'm explaining is the one where I have about 76% reduced md, as stated in an earlier post of mine, and it is not as if I only tank... mister carry xP Though when I do, I always initiate (LIKE A BOSS) and get focused for this. Not every time am I the only focus, but when a burst mage knows that they'll have no trouble killing me, which is the case when some dumb-ass going mid decides to feed, they'll get me out of the way because I play interrupters like mumu and blitz. This isn't the case in every game, or even half, but when this happens it just shows how imbalanced the game can be. I win well over half the games I play, but it is sad when someone wins bc they played the easy champ like ryze x/ Just wish they would do something to balance champion difficulty and success rates, or if they find this too challenging an undertaking, then just make some new items for mr... Nothing too drastic O.O just options... I don't quite have your 3 years experience Xd but I also make a good argument and have been right more than a few times in all my years.

123456 ... 8