Dr. Mundo: comparing tank vs. dps

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coldrenan

11-17-2009

Hello everyone. So far my absolute favorite hero is Dr. Mundo. I have read that some people think he sucks, some people think he's op. honestly I think he's either balanced or possibly a little underpowered. I normally build him as a tank, but I have tried a dps build and ended up being able to 3-4 shot champions late-game with extremely high attack speed.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do you think Dr. Mundo is balanced/UP/OP?

2. With the standard Mundo being a tank, do you think a damage build is a viable option?

thank you to anyone with legitamate input.

Genose

11-17-2009

Hello fellow Mundo player. I personally think Mundo is balanced right now. You can counter him quite easily, and he takes a while to farm up. I play him as a hybrid.

Here is my build:
1) Start off w/ Regrowth Pendant and then create -> Warmog's Armor (Might also want to get a health pot or two)
2) Depending on the enemy team makeup, I'll either go Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi
3) Atma's Impaler - Adds a ton of DPS and gives you great crit.
4) Depending on the enemy team, I'll either go for a Phantom Dancer or a Force of Nature. Both are great, but you definitely need one for either the magic resistance or the dodge.
5) Frozen Mallet

With that build, you'll be dominating Ashes and squishies like nothing. At mid-game, you'll become incredibly strong and feared. Even at the start of the game with a crit w/ Masochism will deal half an enemy's HP. You also take practically no damage (because of the dodge or the magic resistance) and you have an insane amount of health. It's better to get health items on Mundo because of Sadism. As far as Skills go, I go with: E/Q/E/W/E/R/E/Q/E/Q/W... etc... You definitely atleast want one point in Burning Agony for the 25% lower CC (stacked with Mercury Treads is sick!).

I'll probably post a more informative guide up on this character. He really is one of my favorites. Even though I don't play the game much now, I was very active in the beta. School will be over soon though!

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2009

mundo got a huge buff last patch and a lot of people dissed mundo before that. right now, he's a viable champion. he's fairly fun to play and is fairly overpowered. his ult's cd is very low and his ult is extremely powerful, i'd say without a doubt it's the most powerful 1 on 1 ability in the game.

mundo doesn't need a damage boost because masochism adds a huge damage boost.

warmog is great. i like mercury treads and then get aegis of legion if there's no tank or if the tank doesn't get it.

mundo's ult is very powerful but his other skills are not that overwhelming so it's balanced.

i've been playing mundo lately but i still havn't been able to decide what the best skill path is. my current opinion is that masochism gets priority after level 1 in each skill.

p.s. w00t, made rank 76 with a horrible record.

Norksman

11-17-2009

So far I level Q and E equally, normally starting with Q. I won't get a level of W until at least after my first R and will finish that skill off last.

I think Mundo has a fair bit of flexibility re; tank/damage based on the enemy team make up. Generally I mirror the set up of Genose above - Warmogs, Mercury/Tabi, Atma's. I start with a Doran's shield instead of regrowth pendant though, the extra HP gives Mundo a bit more cleaver spamming leeway and 450g is very small in the scheme of things. After you've got those 3 you can really grab anything that'll help you in that particular battle.

I disagree about his ulti being the most powerful 1v1 ability. Ryze comes to mind immediately.

As an aside, I find Mundo to be an excellent carrier of the Oracle's Elixir if you're facing stealth champs.

hvywpnsguy

11-17-2009

I think he is a bit overpowered. When you play as him, he is a decent tank but when you go against him its so hard to kill him because he will heal with his ultimate if the team doesnt snare him enough.

OuLuvKyanN

11-17-2009

He is not OP.the way to counter him is burst damage and LIFESTEAL,i played as Mundo my last game and a Jax pwned me with Stark's Fervor,Bloodthirster and a Ninja Tabi,he lifestealed the heck outta me with his empower and ulti and all i could do was flee until i got enough armor to fight with him,well my end game items was good(was playing as pure tank) : Warmog's Armor,Force of Nature,Mercury Treads(wonder if it stacks with Burning Agony),Guardian Angel,Frozen Heart,Banshee's Veil,and of course i successfully killed him late game.

Gimpb

11-17-2009

I think damage or hybrid is far more viable than tanking. Reason being, he doesn't have a considerable amount of CC, utility, or anything else that makes him effective except damage.

Without damage he can't even function as a distraction because he's not a threat so it's kinda like that little creep over there--ignored.

OuLuvKyanN

11-17-2009

Well yes,hybrid is good,like a Warmogs and Frozen Mallet,followed up by Atma's Impaler?

McComb

11-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpb View Post
I think damage or hybrid is far more viable than tanking. Reason being, he doesn't have a considerable amount of CC, utility, or anything else that makes him effective except damage.

Without damage he can't even function as a distraction because he's not a threat so it's kinda like that little creep over there--ignored.
Attack a turret.

Jothki

11-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuLuvKyanN View Post
He is not OP.the way to counter him is burst damage and LIFESTEAL,i played as Mundo my last game and a Jax pwned me with Stark's Fervor,Bloodthirster and a Ninja Tabi,he lifestealed the heck outta me with his empower and ulti and all i could do was flee until i got enough armor to fight with him,well my end game items was good(was playing as pure tank) : Warmog's Armor,Force of Nature,Mercury Treads(wonder if it stacks with Burning Agony),Guardian Angel,Frozen Heart,Banshee's Veil,and of course i successfully killed him late game.
Building for lifesteal against Mundo seems like a really good way of convincing him not to bother fighting you. The heroes that can benefit from heavy lifesteal don't overlap very much with the heroes that have any way of stopping a Mundo from safely disengaging.

If all you want is presence, I suppose that'll work. The enemy mundo will just wait a half a minute, pop his ult, and be back in battle somewhere else soon, though.