@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalisz View Post
a female creature from the void might be a little hard to do but it'd be nice to see one
I dunno how hard it would be
> create void creature
> use female voice actor
> high fives all around

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
13 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalisz View Post
a female creature from the void might be a little hard to do but it'd be nice to see one
It wouldn't be hard to do.

chumbler

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
This response might be curt because I'm bordering on brain-dead at the moment, nothing personal, just super tired:

Critical is fine, that keeps us thinking. I agree that there are incongruities with the Shyvana and Sejani skins. They don't need to be "sexy", I personally hate boob windows. Hate.

My brain actually runs opposite. I was put through the ringer with the Sejuani comments, which I have since reversed course on, and in response created an entire character who's only exposed flesh is her head and fingers, removed any sort of heal on her boots, threw a toilet bowl over her bossoms and put a giant brand on her face amongst other things. Hopefully that absolves me. No, I don't look at a champion and say "How can I make this sexy?" Hell, Diana is the epitome of sexy to me. BUT REMEMBER! I am not the only concept artist here!

Personally, I wish Syndra's alternate skin was her base, but that's simple preference.

Soraka, sorry, I have to disagree with you there. I think she's an elegant alternative to that abomination on hooves we had walking around.

Again, sorry for the short, stern-ish answers, you make excellent points all around, I'm just running out of steam a bit =)
I should clarify regarding Sejuani. In that post I was trying to specifically refer to her dark rider skin. It gives the impression that she's in full armor from the splash art, but in reality she's wearing the same bikini, but with some plate instead of just leather. I like the look of heavy armor, and tend to go for heavy armor classes in MMOs for that reason, so I was disappointed when I found out she doesn't really have armor at all in that skin. I've realized that I've been too harsh on the default Sejuani art. It is okay if it parallels Trynd in the lack of coverage, it's just that her body type and lack of bulkiness and muscle definition doesn't really sell it. Apart from that my only major issue with her design is that her visual design and gameplay design don't match at all, but that's a communication issue, not anyone's particular fault.

I'll never stop getting on your case any time heels pop up on a female champion not named Eve, though. Because that ****'s just dumb.

Now get some sleep.

lemonchief

10-07-2012

Quote:
I agree that there are incongruities with the Shyvana and Sejani skins. They don't need to be "sexy", I personally hate boob windows. Hate.

My brain actually runs opposite. I was put through the ringer with the Sejuani comments, which I have since reversed course on, and in response created an entire character who's only exposed flesh is her head and fingers, removed any sort of heal on her boots, threw a toilet bowl over her bossoms and put a giant brand on her face amongst other things. Hopefully that absolves me. No, I don't look at a champion and say "How can I make this sexy?" Hell, Diana is the epitome of sexy to me. BUT REMEMBER! I am not the only concept artist here!

Personally, I wish Syndra's alternate skin was her base, but that's simple preference.

Soraka, sorry, I have to disagree with you there. I think she's an elegant alternative to that abomination on hooves we had walking around.
Does this mean we can expect a reworking of the splash art/in-game skins for Sejuani, or simply new ones where she is wearing practical armor?

I'd like to impress upon you that you are not alone in finding Diana attractive, or actually being attracted to females who wear armor and practical clothing. Many of the women in the league are more appealing to me when they are actually wearing things that make sense to their characters, and it'd be nice if the Riot staff (not just you, because I'm pretty sure you get it :P) understood that there is probably around 50% of their player base that appreciates Diana's art direction.

Also, lol'd at the Soraka comment.

P.S.: What the hell is up with Morgana's hips?

demonnoob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Thank you Iron Stylus for taking your time to answer these questions etc..

Chevalle

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I think Fiora is very similar to Draven but not exactly...I dunno how to put it but something's not quite right....
Or maybe they're more similar than i think and that ego isn't transferring as well in female form to me
The unfortunate part is that "egotistical female" is too-often translated as "total *****." There isn't a lost-in-translation for male egoism.

Rachel

10-07-2012

i think this skin http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KuRmiqYuTy...i_Splash_1.jpg really shows sej's muscular frame
i notice right off the bat that sejuani is not like the **** on popsicle sticks that is the norm

GnD BlueMoon

10-07-2012

Defender Leona. Nuff said.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalle View Post
The unfortunate part is that "egotistical female" is too-often translated as "total *****." There isn't a lost-in-translation for male egoism.
That's how I feel an egotistical female would be widely received! As an annoying ***** instead of a badass

Flana Scarlet

10-07-2012

Quote:
Personally? The big problem here isn't gender identifiability, it's the fact that none of these silhouettes is that distinct, despite gender.
Yeah, that's a really big problem in Dark Souls. Especially in PvP, since invaders glow red. Hard to tell if someone is even wearing anything at all in some locations.

I should modify my original question. What would you think, as a (potential) player, about the differences in the genders? There is always a discussion about gender disparity going on, but I've never heard about anyone complain about it Dark Souls. I'm curious if its just that the player base doesn't care because of the game (super difficult PvE/PvP), or if players dont mind having almost no revealing clothes (or both genders having the same levels of revealing-ness) because everyone started in a similar vein.