@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apex Angel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Welp, you'll see it when we release it. I also am pretty sure I know that I know female champions don't have to be "sexy". "Sexy" is actually the worst generalization you can throw around because of all the vast opinions on what is so. My version of sexy is probably a far cry from yours. Please don't generalize or assume to know my preferences. I have a feeling you have no idea what I think.
I just want to thank you for this statement IronStylus. A lot of times when this debate comes up, players on both sides of the argument throw "Sexy" around like it's a fact when it's so very subjective.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Ailias

10-07-2012

If I could upvote this 1 million times I would, it covers absolutely everything I ever want to say about the subject.

And Ironstylus... <3

Flana Scarlet

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
No, because riot doesn't like monsters cause they don't sell
Riot makes female void monster.

Voice actress is LilyPichu.

Sells like hotcakes.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiter View Post
why do syndra's boobs defy gravity?
Because this is a video game
you have heard of dead or alive?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
9 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flana Scarlet View Post
Out of curiosity, I went and dug this image up from the bowels of the internet: the starting 10 classes in Dark Souls:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7214/imagerqz.jpg

I'd just like to ask what people think about this as a comparion. Some of the armor like Bandit or Hunter are clearly female, because they accentuate the body. However, some like Knight or Cleric do a pretty good job of completely obscuring physical traits. Unless they aren't wearing a hat, you won't really know until you hit 'em.

Then you have Pyromancers and Wanderer, where you can tell, but you could easily miss it on the first look.

How do you (the reader!) think they compare? Do you think you could tell at a glance what each class could do (roughly) just by appearance or silhouette?

And no, I'm not peddling for Dark Souls in my LoL, despite the fact Capra Demon would prbably be a rockin' mid anti-mage. I think a problem with some of the female designs is that they don't project the right information about who the champion is, or in some cases what they do. Sion, lookin' at you.
Personally? The big problem here isn't gender identifiability, it's the fact that none of these silhouettes is that distinct, despite gender.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
This response might be curt because I'm bordering on brain-dead at the moment, nothing personal, just super tired:

Critical is fine, that keeps us thinking. I agree that there are incongruities with the Shyvana and Sejani skins. They don't need to be "sexy", I personally hate boob windows. Hate.

My brain actually runs opposite. I was put through the ringer with the Sejuani comments, which I have since reversed course on, and in response created an entire character who's only exposed flesh is her head and fingers, removed any sort of heal on her boots, threw a toilet bowl over her bossoms and put a giant brand on her face amongst other things. Hopefully that absolves me. No, I don't look at a champion and say "How can I make this sexy?" Hell, Diana is the epitome of sexy to me. BUT REMEMBER! I am not the only concept artist here!

Personally, I wish Syndra's alternate skin was her base, but that's simple preference.

Soraka, sorry, I have to disagree with you there. I think she's an elegant alternative to that abomination on hooves we had walking around.

Again, sorry for the short, stern-ish answers, you make excellent points all around, I'm just running out of steam a bit =)
abomination on hooves made me lol

Garlyle Wilds

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I wonder how good of a sell an egotistical female champion would be lol...
I dunno about a female draven
We already have one, her name is Fiora

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flana Scarlet View Post
Riot makes female void monster.

Voice actress is LilyPichu.

Sells like hotcakes.
Not moe enough to sell like hotcakes

Besides this game needs more mecha.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
10 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
We need a champ like this !
She could be a great tank :P
I'm ok with this.

Shaella

10-07-2012

Quote:
I'm ok with this.
I still want my female yordle tank mecha pilot