@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MTaur

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
(Leona)
This is the kind of comment I must +1 every time regardless of context.

Shaella

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You have no idea.. NO IDEA.. how in love with the Unprepared Garen skin I am..

..or "Sexy Fireman Graves"
It won't be sexier than rugged garen

Nasuuna

10-06-2012

parrot op.

need to stick swain in a speedo and have a parrot with a thong. would make me happy

ilililillillilil

10-06-2012

Firstly I Haven't read all 54 pages of comments i read original posters entire post and first 3pages, i don't really wish to spend hours reading through all the posts. But here are my thoughts.

Firstly I am a male gamer, and i have often noted jokingly that the females are very sexualised (i use s because i am from NZ). While i find it hard to be motivated for change (because i like being attracted to the skins) i completely understand that it is different for females. I endorse your stance on making females more dynamic instead of the anorexic 23year old super model busty as **** models. But i think only by adding "new" skins and keeping the old ones could you satisfy both male and female LoL gamers.

Something you failed to mention which i think is extremely important is the actual role of female characters. Whilst you can always build a certain way most female characters are made to be "support" characters or at least have abilities that allow them to fill this roles. Examples would be lux, lulu, Kayle, Soraka, Leona, Sona, Karma, Nidalee and Janna even morgana. If you look at champions in the game menu and select support you'll notice that 9/14 supports are female 1 is galio so not even human one being teemo so he's cute and 2 taric and Zilean are males. There could be an argument made that taric is a homosexual as well, he does look fabulous doesn't he? My point you are disappointed in one facet of femaleness. When a even larger issue is being ignored. You are marginalised into playing support characters. I do know there are damage dealing characters like Kat and Shyv etc but what I'm trying to say is a larger proportion of female characters are supports than male.

finally i would like to point on your comment
"• Ezreal has boyish good looks, and he is a favorite amongst players who are attracted to males. But being attractive and being a sexual object is not the same thing. If it were, I’d have to change the verdict on all six of the female champions that have a passing grade."

To be attracted to someone is to sexually desire them. That is how the word is used. If any male ever said he was "attracted" to a female this is the meaning. As for female to male i can't say, you may use the word differently and therefore this is just a perspective thing.

But ending paragraph. I agree females over sexualised, the easy reason is most gamers are males so you give your male audience what they want. I also agree that there should be some skins that cater to a female gamer in a non sexual way. I also think that there should be more varied roles for females or at least more female characters in each category. I don't really see how Riot can lose money by giving a part of their audience what they want (females) without changing anything the male proportion enjoy. Males may even like new non sexualised skins better.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
>implying its possible to make a Garen sexier than rugged
Adumu
adumu pls
It's possible, you just need to keep the splash but use a better game model.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2012
6 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
It won't be sexier than rugged garen
*tingle*

Tenmar

10-06-2012

Quote:
Huh
Well i'm having a wonderful time not caring about this game, i'm just here to troll for awhile

Well good luck and have fun. We miss ya Shaella. Especially since you were one of the few people who actually made a difference in this game and community.

Rachel

10-06-2012

I never said there was a lack of man candy, not that that is something I look for in a game. I can agree with those who think Varus and Rugged Garen qualify though.
And have know Ironstylus is a huge advocate for this subject and is changing the current pattern of female champions. And there is alternative to almost every champ i'd say (sexy, "non"sexy skins etc) which I think should please most people.
So I believe you may have misquoted or misinterpreted what I've said

Adumbro Deus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I get you and you're right. A sexualized pose can defeat the purpose of a de-sexualized character.
It's not even just that, a pose that isn't sexual (especially not sexually submissive) means a character with little clothing isn't sexualized at all. Look at ALL the male characters, and the most obvious female example is sejuani, between her helmet, the angles, the look on her face, and what is emphasized and centralized in the picture looks incredibly savage, not sexy in the least beyond the fact that she's beautiful.

Single body-type, but still, not sexualized.

In spite of the fact she's in what is essentially a bikini and frankly that ends up emphasizing her savagery.

(also, I know it's not a priority but an art rework on fiora would be amazing, especially her classic just doesn't fit her character in the least)

Shaella

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstylus View Post
*tingle*
what about tingle?