@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daemon

Senior Member

10-06-2012

I remember a long time ago when a Rioter said they "had to make a female champion distinctly female because of readability". This translated to sexy whatever and big boobs. The issue is that if a person cannot tell if a champion is female by their name and their voice, then they are a ****ing moron, so that sort of excuse is...inexcusable! How many people here thought Kayle was male? No one. Last time I checked, men aren't named Kayle. I'm looking at the newest champion, Kha'zix. His narrow waist, iridescent wings and overall litheness reads as female traits for a monster. Yet he's male.

Diana was a great step forward, but they had to resort to cliches for her skin. Did anyone notice that not a single pro player in the World Playoffs used that skin? No one likes it. It is a terrible skin. If there had been two release skins, then it would have been passable. But there wasn't. Why didn't they make a Battleborn skin and do a five female champion set?

When I first joined in December 2010, I was a bit overwhelmed by the ridiculous amount of female sexualization. Kayle was my first champion, mostly because she looked awesome and her name is similar to mine. But then there were things like Akali, Eve, etc. and I noticed how Kayle was really the only female who wore anything close to being practical. I know there are some female gamers out there who like to wear the battle heels and skimpy armor on their character in MMOs, but I often find myself playing male characters in MMOs because of how much better they look.

Women are an untapped demographic in gaming that could lead to huge profits. But first, these companies try to be more inclusive. Champions in Halloween stripper outfits with having no male counterpart is being exclusive. I find it sad that the pro players are a step ahead of the industry and saying "We want more girls to play League. We want them to compete."

First, you have to step outside of tired, washed up stereotypes and be different. Don't rely on "TEH SEXY" to make money. There are millions of dedicated players who will buy a female champion regardless of her flashing her boobs. Diana is one of the most popular champions mid lane right now and most people I see play her with the default skin.



(Also OP, you're gonna have a great time with this. Fiora is going to get a Teacher skin for Halloween. By teacher, that means stripper teacher. FML.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Antarctica

Senior Member

10-06-2012

I'm calling bull****, every single time i've played with a girl (and they openly admitted of their gender) nobody gave a **** and just continued playing normally.

Nobody cares unless you suck, if you're a girl they'll tell you to go to the kitchen, if you're a guy they will tell you to go kill yourself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maxnormal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Eh, part of it is the way girls are raised. There was a lady scientist talking about her childhood, and wanting to join an academic league or something, and her mom trying to talk her out of it because it won't help her get a boyfriend.

There are just as many elementary school aged girls as there is boys interested in science, but the number drops when they reach high school age. Their upbringing has a lot to to with it.
Are you under the impression that academically and specifically scientifically or mathematically minded males are drowning in women?

A woman entering into that kind of field however would be drowning in men. Just not the hunky beefcakes she's likely interested in.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

l kyuubi l

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Bumped for support. I hope you get the answers you're looking for. ^^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
The suggestion by certain circles of women that a female character is not allowed to simultaneously be sexually stimulating as well as strong and empowered is far more sexist and stupid, backwards thinking than Riot simply choosing to make their characters sexy.

What happened to the whole sexual revolution thing? I thought you womenfolk wanted to be able to show off and bare your ankles and go on ****-walks and all that jazz, why do you have such a problem with "sexualized" characters if your own right to "sexualize" yourselves is so goddamn important to you?

You want to have your ****ing cake and eat it too, it's a load of ****. On top of that, despite the modern male being completely neutered and unnecessary in regards to traditional male gender roles, you also want to enter into the male's realm, the last bastion of free competition where he can openly fight and hunt and win and lose and destroy his enemies, something innately satisfying to him as a male, and change that so it appeals to your gender as well.

You know what? **** you. I was intending to be civil but I got myself all worked up just elaborating on your stupidity and your hypocrisy and your general bull****. So just **** you.
You think of video games as the last bastion of manliness? That's rather sad.

Nobody is suggesting that attractiveness and empowerment are mutually exclusive. But a large amount of female champion art is obviously designed more along the lines of porn than along the lines of heroism. To point that out isn't the same as rejecting all sexy female champions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametsume View Post
i'm still waiting for a wicked evil old witch lady AP cuz it would be BA
If that's all that comes from this thread, I would consider it a raving success.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/P...B8cPV_iMPl.jpg

Yes, that's DEFINITELY defying the stereotype. Riiiiight.

To clarify, I don't really care about the age issue. It's just one dimension of the potential variety in female champions. I just want Riot to focus on making female champions, and quit it with the porn stars in costume.

Also, if you think I'm the OP, you're mistaken.
No idea what part of the world you reside in... but it is not uncommon for a female of age 31 to look like that in the U.S. unless you live in locations that are often run down (stress makes on look as if they aged faster in many cases) or drugs are prominent among women/men in that area.

I do not think you are the OP and have seen you on the forums enough to know you are not... I am not sure where you got this idea from that I thought you were the OP (unless you thought my bottom part of the post was oriented at you? as it was clearly addressed at someone else).

I disagree that they look like porn stars... but I can't honestly argue this point too much because, frankly, I am not familiar with porn stars. I think they generally look like well aged athletic (I mean Miss Fortune is a friggin pirate, argghh matey lol) women who look reasonably realistic... at least based in comparison to women of America.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xengre View Post
EDIT: Also OP you talk about human diversity but then in other post say you are wanting female monster diversity... please figure out what your objective is and do not persecute someone else for trying to have a reasonable discussion with you when you are all over the place.
That was in response to you. You were the one who brought up monsters.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ametsume View Post
i'm still waiting for a wicked evil old witch lady AP cuz it would be BA
I would love to see one like this, I would love to see more diverse mage gameplay mechanics in general. Even more so if she were a summoner/necromancer with unique gameplay mechanics (but not another Yorick please...).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maxnormal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-06-2012

Also for the record there are generally three kinds of responses a female can expect to get when she's choosing to announce her gender because it's oh so important and she will probably die if she gets referred to by another male pronoun.

- No response. Unlikely. Nobody gives a ****.
- Adoration is heaped upon you which somehow makes you super uncomfortable and creeped out because you're a delicate flower and you're frightened by the scary internet whiteknights who would do anything for you because you have a ******. Either that or you take advantage of their pathetic nature and willingness to give and give and give and eventually they get burned somehow because of their own entitlement issues and you somehow didn't see this coming and it's totally not your fault for leading them on and then you're surprised when that's yet another male who will in future respond in the way below...
- Backlash. You see that possibility just above this one? A large part of "Backlash" has to do with your own gender ****ing you over in a long history of MMOs by being completely unscrupulous and taking advantage of males. As well as other unscrupulous males pretending to be unscrupulous, attractive females to take advantage of even more pathetic males.

Let me repeat, your own gender ****ed your gender's reputation over by either knowingly or naively manipulating/leading men on and/or using the fact they have a ****** to be complete attention*****s, ala individuals like Pooksie.