@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

800eloPubtrash

10-06-2012

I welcome females here as long as they play support soraka.

Krejdar

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800eloPubtrash View Post
I welcome females here as long as they play support soraka.
See, IchigoKitty, this is a prime example of a troll.

BerserkSheal

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriphor View Post
Civility and respect are expected from every summoner. Riot uses the honor system to promote it, and the report system to punish the opposite. The general guideline is given by the summoner's code: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articl...Summoners_Code.

It is entirely reasonable to want people to change their behavior when that behavior is misogyny, racism, homophobia, or any of the other many things that are intolerant of others.
Do you honestly think every jack and jane will abide by the summoners code? REALLY?

My lord, I just don't know anymore.

800eloPubtrash

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejdar View Post
See, IchigoKitty, this is a prime example of a troll.
You're a troll.

tempnameA461

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800eloPubtrash View Post
You're a troll.
Yeah? Well, your a towel!

Zeriphor

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjai View Post
Then they will be banned from the tribunal? Did you not read what I said before about summoners putting themself on show when they talk in chat?
There's a difference between getting banned because you broke the summoner's code, and getting abused because someone found out your gender.

Edit: I also don't see the point you're making. If you feel they should be banned, then clearly you feel their behavior is unacceptable.

Leila

10-06-2012

Personally, the same way I find it most logical to just ignore immature pejorative name-callings, I also ignore anonymous chauvinist bravados that are so common on the internet. I play the game alone (used to play DotA1 with friends, but none of them enjoy LoL) and if someone asks me about my gender I simply answer him/her and carry on playing my game. I think the best answer to archieve some form of gender equality in game is not by overselling yourself as a girl, nor trying to hide your femininity, but just representing who you really are and moving on with it, despite whatever immature feedback that will follow.

In my opinion it's like being annoyed for being called a "Noob" because it's your first time as Rumble and you're feeding your lane. In the end of the day it's just childish name calling/hate speech on the internet. There are more important things to bother with.

The same applies for champions and skins... and I won't stop playing champions I find extremely fun such as Katarina or Ahri because of the obvious fan-service always involved in online gaming. In fact I even own Sandstorm Katarina but mostly because I love arabian-related things.

That's just my personal view, although I agree with some points and wish the game had a more healthy environment regarding gender. It's not that I'm being complacent with the situation, I'm just being pragmatic.

BerserkSheal

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriphor View Post
There's a difference between getting banned because you broke the summoner's code, and getting abused because someone found out your gender.
Yeah, one is being caught red handed while the other can be prevented by an in-game function.

You mute, and report. YOU don't see the comments, but the Tribunal and riot does.

Kaolla

10-06-2012

downvoted for not understanding "the internet"

Firellius

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkSheal View Post
And you're expecting civility and respect in a game where you are essentially anonymous.

And we just went over the point that there exists circumventions to protect players against internet stupidity.

But, you refuse to wish to use them and want people to change for you.
Giving in to moral decline is a weakness.

I want people to change for me. I want them to behave like a human being. There are moral standards that we have to keep to. And I'm not going to ask people to shield themselves, rather than punishing offenders.

The responsibility is, has been, will always be and MUST be placed with the perpetrators. NOT the victims.

If you're telling people to toughen up, you're commending the bullies. You're giving them a pat on the back and you take their responsibilities away from them. That's plain wrong. That cultivates terrible behavior.

If you're behaving like a jerk, you are to blame, not the person you're being a jerk to.

Again, giving in to moral decline is a weakness.