@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ankokukai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Everything went retarded on the comments about skins

"Caitlyn is the sheriff bla bla"

for god's sake, a woman that has a vocabulary FULL of sexual innuendo, and DIRECT sexual phrases (fuzzy cuffs anyone?) is not an "authority"
She's an easy-going girl that kicks crimal asses that HAPPENS to be the sheriff of Piltover

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoukitenshi View Post
This is actually a really good post. Upvoted for justice.

It's been posted before that Rioters want to fix this issue.

For an example, though, Zyra is not over-sexualized, in my opinion. She is a skinny young female with fairly revealing clothes, but her lines are all pretty overtly evil and her body is that of kind of a vine nymph. A nymph/dryad character is typically fairly scantily clad because they belong in nature. You usually don't put on armor to fight in nature, and it makes sense that as she is a squishy mage, she would pretty much just look like an evil nymph thing.
There are many cases where I think it's appropriate to sexualize the champion. I think it's fine for Ahri and Miss Fortune (even though I came down hard on her in my original post). An argument could be made for Zyra. But we can't ignore the fact that Zyra is still very much so sexualized, so the statistics must reflect that.

I adore Janna, and I don't want her to change. Her clothes are sexy, but I think it works for her. I'm not advocating changing existing champions. I just think it's very strange that when Riot made Graves, Draven, or Viktor, they didn't feel compelled to ensure they were conventionally attractive. They wanted to make them look competent and battle ready. Diana is a step in the right direction. I want more like her, but I think Riot can take it another step further. I want them to launch someone with either an alternate body type, someone advanced in years, or both.

Diomedea

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonnadiesoon View Post
you do remember the idea of Battle Bunny Riven was thought up by a female right? Just thought i would point that out
So Shaella is a girl? I thought the jury was still out on that one.

MadLock

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
That's kind of an interesting position to take as someone who advertises his gender in his summoner name.
My name is a joke name, whether it shows my gender I don't care. I play the game to play, if you are on the enemy team I will kill you whether you are a man or woman.

Hummin

10-05-2012

Being a female I agree that we have to hide our gender because people do nothing but make kitchen jokes, about being overweight to play this game, or asking us to show our body parts. Its also like a global taunt on yourself, everyone wants to kill you because "female gamers don't belong here". I play with my husband and some of our friends, and when someone finds out im a girl it turns into a horrible game, with either my team refusing to help me because I die once even if Im doing well. My own team will harrass me and treat me poorly, thus I refuse to say my gender in most cases. Alot of my past friends never even knew and the team work would be great and I can support or carry if I want. Now with the skins, I do mainly play female champs, and I own all of them, plus skins. I dont like how alot of them look like their tops will fall off, and I dont like how their backs have been disfigured. other skins dont appeal to me. I personally love my mythic cassiopeia skin, wicked lulu, I own frenchmaid nidalee and her egypt one. I understand from other games to get males to play women champs you have to make it something nice to look at. I generally dont play males, I do own nunu ez taric ali cho kog, and I often play shen gragas corki mao and skarner. I love how diverse those champions are in looks and the way they play. the female champs may be overly sexualized but aside what I have already typed here it dosent bother me too much. what really bothers me is I dont get treated like a gamer who loves the game, works hard to win, and learn great placements, I get treated like someone who should be playing hello kitty and making food for men in kitchens, or like every male in the game wants to give me free mammograms.

Titus Lowestrum

10-05-2012

variety is the spice of life. I hate how most of the female champs are the same supermodel with a different kit. I actually like Kayle for her armor and battle readiness. Just as I think Ahri fits her lore as she should. Cause if she acted like Kayle it wouldn't fit. The point these are the polar-opposites and all other females fall in the middle. But the last three female personalities that riot released have been similar. There is no variety anymore and it only seems to be getting more and more cookie cutter as time goes on. And that is my real problem with this issue. I am not telling Riot to make everybody have different personality, but there are a whole array of tropes out there for female champs that Riot hasn't touched.

Dasick

10-05-2012

female gamers should stop demanding preferential treatment as well as spouting their gender out for the sake of attention

and white knight virgins should really understand how pathetic they are

Gunxlinger

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummin View Post
Being a female I agree that we have to hide our gender because people do nothing but make kitchen jokes, about being overweight to play this game, or asking us to show our body parts. Its also like a global taunt on yourself, everyone wants to kill you because "female gamers don't belong here". I play with my husband and some of our friends, and when someone finds out im a girl it turns into a horrible game, with either my team refusing to help me because I die once even if Im doing well. My own team will harrass me and treat me poorly, thus I refuse to say my gender in most cases. Alot of my past friends never even knew and the team work would be great and I can support or carry if I want. Now with the skins, I do mainly play female champs, and I own all of them, plus skins. I dont like how alot of them look like their tops will fall off, and I dont like how their backs have been disfigured. other skins dont appeal to me. I personally love my mythic cassiopeia skin, wicked lulu, I own frenchmaid nidalee and her egypt one. I understand from other games to get males to play women champs you have to make it something nice to look at. I generally dont play males, I do own nunu ez taric ali cho kog, and I often play shen gragas corki mao and skarner. I love how diverse those champions are in looks and the way they play. the female champs may be overly sexualized but aside what I have already typed here it dosent bother me too much. what really bothers me is I dont get treated like a gamer who loves the game, works hard to win, and learn great placements, I get treated like someone who should be playing hello kitty and making food for men in kitchens, or like every male in the game wants to give me free mammograms.
Everyone gets raged on at some point or the other.

Dzur

10-05-2012

Look, I am not even trying to be a jerk about this but... this topic comes up every month or so, with a mega thread about righteous disappointment that could be construed against the "system" on behalf of women out there. Threads that are about as bigoted about how, supposed, "guys" and "gamers" are about women in games as the bigotry they claim to fight. At the end of the day, are these posts just for that *nodnod thumbs up wow issue* factor? Because all of this has been said before, regardless of how well the OP restates the same position that's been said, I have to wonder why these threads are so prolific. It's like talking about political correctness in a public place for the sake of all the head-nodders.

chumbler

10-05-2012

^^^^ It's not being done for a sense of moral superiority, it's being done as an attempt to get things to change for the better. Also the same arguments keep being brought up because they are still true and people still refuse to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonnadiesoon View Post
you do remember the idea of Battle Bunny Riven was thought up by a female right? Just thought i would point that out
Are dudes on the internet completely incapable of saying the word "woman"?

Anyway, upvoted the OP, because he or she is right about everything in their post, and took the time to patiently explain it (which is more than I can say for myself in these discussions since I have a low tolerance for people repeating the same stupid and wrong "counterarguments" ad nauseum). This game has a problem with its presentation of women. That is undeniable. They are allegedly working on it, but every post I've seen from IronStylus indicates that he still just doesn't get it.

Here's hoping your thread doesn't get downvoted to oblivion, OP, but knowing this community you probably only have a half hour left before that happens.