@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBlitz View Post
I had a long rant about how men should be allowed to complain about all male champs looking good, but my internet died and i lost it. Bottom line- i agree with you from an artistic point of view however, there is no battle practicality or varus being shirtless. i feel that both female and male champs look good and are eye pleasing.i do not understand why anyone dislikes sexy champs i'm more than happy that 90% of male champs are muscle bound or charming or handsome. tohugh i agree there needs to be some sexy skins for females like rugged garen.

P.S. save yourself the pain, art team, and just do void champs from now on, nothign more awesome and feminest/ masculist pleasing than kog'maw, cho' gath and kha'zix
Nobody is crusading against sexy or good-looking, so it's probably a good thing you lost your irrelevant rant...

Emailsupport0074

10-23-2012

Here's the tier.
Gorgeous/Handsome > Beautiful > Cute > Pretty > Sexy.
Sexy is the bare minimum of attractiveness.

And practically every female we have is sexy.
Kog'maw, however, is cute.

PurpleBlitz

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Nobody is crusading against sexy or good-looking, so it's probably a good thing you lost your irrelevant rant...
from what i understand of any of the posts about gender they say they want less sexualization on female champs, maybe im ignorant(actually its not a maybe more like a 95% chance thing) but i felt OP was fighting for the same thing and based on what the riot staff have said i feel they agree with her/him

Mughi of Ruckus

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBlitz View Post
from what i understand of any of the posts about gender they say they want less sexualization on female champs, maybe im ignorant(actually its not a maybe more like a 95% chance thing) but i felt OP was fighting for the same thing and based on what the riot staff have said i feel they agree with her/him
A champion looking good and/or sexy is not the same thing as a champion being sexualized. No one is complaining about the former. To the extent that people are complaining about the latter, it's largely been along the lines of people wanting balance among the genders or sexualization to be handled differently, not not done at all.

Piltover Mayor

10-23-2012

I am dissapointed by how over sexualized human Elise is, and am here to throw support behind more modest female characters in the future.

Leona and Diana are awesome. Give us more of those please. Give us a rocking full plate Boadica character, or an old crone. We need these things. We don't need another character who is in constant danger of a nipple popping out.

Sabsy

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'm going to point out as a male player of this game, that I want to play attractive female characters... in armor... If we make a barbarian for example, whatever way we choose to make her look will be due to choices inherent to her design as a character, not to drive engagement with any specific group. The needs of the character are what counts. If the character appeals to you, congratulations. If it doesn't, congradulate aforementioned group who it happens to appeal to and indulge in the 100 other champions that may suit your fancy, or take a look at something upcoming which floats your boat.

There is no such effort to force ugly champions as we have decided and mentioned that we don't feel our traditionally "ugly" characters work on certain levels, but the past is the past. Our goal is to make the appropriate choices for a character driven by the goals that we establish early on, namely, again, what is best for the character in its context of theme, kit, etc. There is never an effort, nor an edict, nor an initiative to "de-uglify" or "up-uglify" our characters. They will be as "attractive", "sexy", "ugly", "monstrous", or whatever other subjective descriptors that exist as they need to be for their own unique cases.
This seems to fly in the face of Morellos opinion that scarner, trundle and urgot should have never been made though.

TheUlf

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphet View Post
I still want my sexy gay man champion. :<
Someone needs to don the Armor of the Fifth age, then ;D

Ailias

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piltover Mayor View Post
I am dissapointed by how over sexualized human Elise is, and am here to throw support behind more modest female characters in the future.
Same, and this new Headmistress Fiora. I'm sorry but any teacher who wears that to work would be put in jail. Stay up pantyhose? A skirt that just barely covers her rear? Her bra showing behind her jacket and boobs literally falling out?! What a smack in the face to female teachers!

Come on Riot, this is just getting beyond ridiculous!

TheUlf

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailias View Post
Same, and this new Headmistress Fiora. I'm sorry but any teacher who wears that to work would be put in jail. Stay up pantyhose? A skirt that just barely covers her rear? Her bra showing behind her jacket and boobs literally falling out?! What a smack in the face to female teachers!

Come on Riot, this is just getting beyond ridiculous!
She's not meant to be a teacher, she's meant to be a Halloween teacher costume. Which is a direct allusion to sexist traditions, so yay not progress.

@IronStylus I really appreciate all the work you've done and all the effort you've made over your time at Riot to consciously respond to community feedback (as evidenced no more undeniably than in this thread).

I have to say, though, that I have great reservations when it comes to trusting you and Riot about your hopes for the future direction(s) of female champions in League. I'm willing to wait to see the evidence put in practice, but what we're being given in the meantime is still cause for concern. Zyra? Elise? Headmistress Fiora, above?

Dianna was a momentous step in finding out that costumes don't all have to come from Carl's Sexy Bargain warehouse, but she's still the same age and body, within the same percent deviation as every other adult human female in League's roster.

It's particularly unnerving when it's clear that the lore has bent over backwards to justify filling this archetype (See Elise: what about her character changes/is lost if the sentences, "...An immediate sense of rejuvenation flowed through her veins. With mortality delayed once again, Elise left..." is removed, and she doesn't have a back-story reason to still look 25?) when alternatives were clearly available (Again, a spider queen seems like a horribly missed opportunity for a gaunt, aged matriarch who didn't just retire from a cover-girl fashion modeling career).

Absolute 42

10-23-2012

When is our next cute champion Riot? Last one was Lulu, 8-9 months ago.