@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fabala

10-17-2012

... And again, I need to step in and explain:

The overly muscled He-Man Body Type isn't a woman's sexual ideal, normally. Most women whom you speak to would refer to a Mr. Universe bodytype as 'Too bulgey'. Women want Ryan Phillipe, Brad Pitt and the like more than they'll want a steroid buffed bodybuilder.

The powerful male figure portrayed in Riot is not a male being sexualized. It's a male being idealized for other men. If you wanted a sexualized male, we would get skins like Slave Prince Taric, wearing a jewel encrusted thong, slave collar and wielding his hammer in an overly suggestive pose. (See, under the armor, Taric's build is likely to be fairly slim and compact, judging from his splash arts) In fact, I think I'm gonna have to subject you guys to that at some point. We'd get Ezreal, shirtless, in a pair of see through harem pants clinging ever so suggestively to his every muscle as he curved to show us both backside and nipples at the same time, while the rain fell down on him as he made doe eyes at the camera as he all but fellaciated his mystic shot effect.

Emaneen

10-17-2012

This looks to be nothing more than yet ANOTHER post ragging on the fact that there's "pretty girl champions" in LoL. Really... Riot supports sexism and a lack of female gamers by making girls in their video game look pretty? Here's a different view on it... maybe some girls are ENCOURAGED by the presence of women who are hot yet competent and deadly.

I've never had a problem with gender in this game, no more than any other game. Anywhere. The 'over abundance' of 'young, good looking female champions' has nothing to do with it. Personally, I'm just about THIS sick of people ragging on this and then hiding their motives as a "for the greater good of the female gender." It's bloody insulting. It's patronizing. It's more unwelcoming than any amount of being hit on or crass comments in game by trolls. Stop it. Just stop.

LoL can use a wider variety of female champions, but don't pretend it'll bring girls flocking to the game in droves, and knock it off with the "Riot is sexist for doing it this way" crud. It has NOTHING to do with the amount of women in this game, and it never will. It may bother some girls, just like it may bother some guys, but that's simply the variation in human nature. Riot isn't sexist, they aren't supporting chauvinism, your gender has no bearing on this game nor should it, and if you really want more women to play LoL, than be nice to them and invite friends. That's the only thing that matters and the only thing that ever will- and honestly, you shouldn't be waving your gender around in game anyway.

The subjects are unrelated. Stop waving around the "we want to be fair to girls" schtick every time you bring up the amount of cleavage in this game. It's insulting. There should be a wider variety because we WANT a wider variety and no other reason; trying to slip it in as some more 'noble' cause is just... blegh.

If you're intentions really are sincere, OP, I do apologize. The subjects are unrelated however, and getting told it's the reason girls don't play LoL or that Riot is supporting chauvinism with it is, well, a logical fallacy. The two need to stop being tied together- especially if we want to really get some change around here.

McSmagglington

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post
He can board my deck however he likes.
whoa man

Apollo Starling

10-17-2012

I think with the Elise reveal this thread deserves to stay bumped a while more

Apollo Starling

10-18-2012

up

Aphet

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post
As a gay gamer, I have to respectfully disagree on some of the male champions you called out as underdressed but non-sexualized. I think given roughly the same amount of clothing/skin ratio, the degree of sexualization is not something entirely in the hands of the developer or artist, but also the disposition of the audience. Basically, I'm saying that you appear to be dismissing Tryndamere, Varus, Lee Sin, Penta Olaf, and Pantheon as under-sexualized because you don't find them sexy. Bodybuilders are 'nasty'? That's an entirely subjective statement and you went on to turn it into a blanket generalization. I happen to find bulky-built men incredibly sexy. For me, Tryndamere, Varus, Lee Sin, Penta Olaf, and Pantheon are quite sexy, and quite sexual. Their splash art highlights their masculinity and their physical prowess (bulging arms, pecs, naked in the cold, heroic stance, being a drummer, etc). And physical dominance, my dear, is sexy. To me. And muscle are unsexy. To you. I agree on your points that female champions are overwhelmingly (and quite disproportionately) oversexualized, but I think you have to turn your subjectivity down a notch when it comes to male champions and what makes or breaks sexual objectification for them.

Unfortunately, societal gender role and values come into play here and that's a very messy thing to buck against. For instance, I find Pantheon's splash art of him looking aggressive as all hell and very tense to be rather hot. But that's because society teaches us that males *should* be sexually aggressive and dominant. That's not something Riot can magic away, they just have to be more aware of how they cater to both their drawn-to-males and drawn-to-females audience.

PS: Additionally, MY list of sexy male champs:
Nasus - Great arms, great thighs, especially if you look at the Chinese splash. Then again he's a dog. So...yeah.
Garen - Good lord, this man has the jawline of a Greek god. I can't decide if I want to run away with Rugged Garen or Desert Trooper Garen.
Ryze - Shoulders! Biceps! Pecs! Abs! Are you sure this guy is a spell-flinging mage? Because damn, he is BUILT. A few points off for that god-awful beard though. Can we get a sexy Five O' Clock Shadow Ryze, or Well-Trimmed Ryze?
Malzahar - Ok, to be honest I didn't think Malzahar was hot until I saw Taco Storm.
Xin Zhao - Oh. My. God. HERE is Xin Zhao's original design. I would follow this man. To my grave. This looks like a man fierce in battle, stoic in the evening, and gentle in bed. This is the man my man could smell like. The final design? 7/10, would still do. I mean, look at the Chinese splash for the Viscero skin. Now THAT is a gladiator.
Gangplank - He's a pirate. Before his remodeling he had some serious pec cleavage and chest hair going on, and after his remodeling he found some very well-defined biceps. He can board my deck however he likes.
Jarvan IV - Look at his classic skin. Look at it! Those pecs! Those abs! That tight black spandex! Seriously, Jarvan. That **** is for ballet and modern dancers.
Udyr - Don't laugh, but I think a hippie who communes with wild animals is attractive in his own way. Granted, he probably smells funny and doesn't know what shampoo is, but when you're both at Burning Man, who's gonna care?
Yeah, in a way I guess. I just wish we could get some deliberate fan-service like Battle Bunny Riven. (Sexy Fireman Graves) XD

Kuralesache

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Elise needs to be edited into the OP I guess. So disappointed they gutted her princess peach mary poppins wtf original design into a zyra skin.

Fran13r

Recruiter

10-18-2012

BAM! School teacher fiora, riot does it again!

Why don't they just say "We are making sexy female champions because XXX sells, we are catering to the majority because that gives us money"??

Karolina

10-18-2012

Whoa, that IS a sexy skin.
That's the thing, why couldn't we get Zombie Fiora for example ?
I'll just guess these skins were developed some time ago. Benefit of doubt and stuff.
For now, let's just bask in them boobs.

DrSleuthXIII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Not to go out of the thread but I thought people in this thread would be interested in this other thread that I linked to this thread because basically oversexification of women is a thing so here's my rebuttal.