@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RangerRig

10-11-2012

Please don't nerf Sona's Boobs.

DeathByWaffle

10-11-2012

Some women find idealized portrayals of women in video games insulting. Other women might find comically hilarious portrayals of women insulting.

yamlax

10-11-2012

there is a thin line between eye candy for woman and just looking gay. this makes designing sexy men very hard.

Shaella

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamlax View Post
there is a thin line between eye candy for woman and just looking gay. this makes designing sexy men very hard.
And yet there's no thin line between eye candy for men and looking lesbian
its almost like thats a double standard

Shiny Bronzong

10-12-2012

If there are gay champions, that's good too. Certain females I know find gay men VERY attractive.

ThePPP

10-12-2012

Quote:
The argument I am trying to make is not that every female champions is sexualized, and zero male champions are.
Mantheon would like to have a talk with you. Oh and you said Varus is sexualized in your own post a few paragraphs later.. gg

Purpopulous

10-14-2012

Good thread is good. The characters in LOL exist to serve an adolescent male audience and so you've got some (lots) of titillating female characters. Within it's own sphere, this makes some logic. Cater to your audience, right?

Except that everyone does this. Movies do it. Other video games do it. When the vast majority of entertainment venues (especially video games!) all depict people the same way for the same reason, you're perpetuating a stereotype about the way the world works instead of just serving your audience.

Good news: it's fairly easy to correct in a game like LOL. Monsters / gender neutral heroes are, for me, a net plus in this department (though the OP discounts them entirely). Heroes like Taric who get a feminine skin, even if it's tongue-in-cheek, are good. God, I hope the people suggesting Naughty Nurse Trydmere actually go ahead and make some skins. Turning the gender tables like that is initially hilarious to most people, which gives you an opening to get that stuff out there in the mainstream. I really look forward to the day people start asking, "Why do all the male characters have a stripper skin," in the hopes that they immediately realize... "ooooh all the characters PERIOD have one."

baddeejay33

10-15-2012

This is a topic that isn't limited to only video games. My view on it is this, seeing as how Riot is a company created and based in America, women are going to continue to be presented in the way they always have in America, which is mainly sexually appealing and dressed in pretty revealing clothing/armor/attire etc. Its going to take way more than just Riot to totally turn around this common misrepresentation of women not only in games, but in entertainment in general. Here's hoping we get more people like Rauhel making her voice heard. Good post Rahuel.

Grann Brigitte

10-15-2012

I don't think I have ever broken down laughing while reading an OP before. Bravo, Checkmate, and GG. There's something about someone straight-facedly pointing out that mermaids are a sexual fantasy for millions that I am completely helpless against. Whoever says women can't be funny can go to hell.

Esa

10-15-2012

Abercrombie Nautilus. Problem solved =)