@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acton Elwood

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
You've got a couple fallacies running here.

First, the fact that the objectification of women is common does not somehow make it all right in any context.

Second, objectifying women because it makes money doesn't make it okay either. In fact, this behavior on part of companies like Riot is a big reason why games like LoL are such a boys club.

Obviously, joke skins are great. But how many female humanoid champions have a really clever joke skins that don't turn them into fap material? Not many, not compared to their male counterparts.

I'm seriously questioning whether you read the opening post at all. That or the comments have thrown you off completely from the OP's original point.
I would like if you watch this video and to give me your opinion of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rTuKFkHIc

KT Samurai

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jireo View Post
define objectifying because just because we prefer a sexy or attractive girl, not all of us see them as objects.
Fair enough.

Objectification is basically exactly what is sounds like, taking a person and reducing them to the status of an object. This is exactly what is going on with a disproportionate number of female champions in this game, especially with their portrait art; the art team discarding the champ's mechanics, their themes, their lore, and putting them in fan service poses or giving them completely inappropriate attire.

Fiora came up earlier and she's a great example. Going off her default portrait, what can you tell me about her? What kind of personality does she have? What do her mechanics play like? You can't gleam any of this information because of how they decided to pose her, focusing all your attention on her ass.

Compare this to the portrait of nearly any male champion. With very few exceptions (like Varus) you can get a really good idea of what that champ is like by looking at their artwork. This doesn't happen often enough with female champs.

IronStylus spent some time talking about silhouettes, and this is a common consideration when designing anything. The idea is to make a character's silhouette recognizable by itself. Color Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII completely black, you can tell it's him even without any detail. Now do the same with Fiora. What stands out? Nothing.

That went longer than expected but there you go.

KT Samurai

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acton Elwood View Post
I'll watch that after the game - it's going on right now!

Xenodyne

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Nurse Akali is a stripper nurse. No real nurse dresses like that. However, strippers with themed costumes do dress like that. Surgeon Shen is an actual medical professional.
Just wanted to point out that she's an assassin. Most of her costumes don't have sleeves because for a real fictional ninja assassin, the sleeves would either be short or nonexistant (depending on the Ninja's preference). The only reason her Blood Moon skin would have sleeves is due to it being a ceremonial-type robe.

Just saying :3

Vu Sugoi

10-10-2012

Quote:
lol awesome

Karolina

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodyne View Post
Just wanted to point out that she's an assassin. Most of her costumes don't have sleeves because for a real fictional ninja assassin, the sleeves would either be short or nonexistant (depending on the Ninja's preference). The only reason her Blood Moon skin would have sleeves is due to it being a ceremonial-type robe.

Just saying :3
The sleeves are the least important part there (though she could have them, same reason Blood Moon does: style > practicality). But she is wearing no pants and thigh highs with red high heel shoes... and she apparently has nothing under her top ("tons of cleavage" in Phreakspeak), that sort of thing is what separates her attire from Kennen's and Shen's.

KT Samurai

10-10-2012

Quote:
Watched it, recognized the guy immediately.

He actually made a video a couple years later that does a much better job of outlining this entire debate.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...9-Gender-Games

Seriously, he nails the situation we're in right now. This guy evidently grew up a little between videos.

Acton Elwood

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
Watched it, recognized the guy immediately.

He actually made a video a couple years later that does a much better job of outlining this entire debate.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...9-Gender-Games

Seriously, he nails the situation we're in right now. This guy evidently grew up a little between videos.
Yeah, this vid is much better.

ScottyRawr

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
I'd rather downvote you for repeatedly poisoning the well for anyone who might disagree with you. I don't know why ScottyRawr cares enough about establishing for the forum that he doesn't care to post about it, but I won't downvote him for it.

(Also, given your prior posts, your judgment of what constitutes common sense is...shall we say, not so common.)
Actually I posted my opinion on how I feel about this topic, though help any of us on this Forum if we should do that (Especially if it's in a polite and respectful way, right?).

KT Samurai

10-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRawr View Post
Actually I posted my opinion on how I feel about this topic, though help any of us on this Forum if we should do that (Especially if it's in a polite and respectful way, right?).
That is ideally how things progress.