Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Cirrusstrafe:
Too buried, nobody will read this, but I find it bloody hilarious that the counter-post to this has more upvotes in considerably less time.

Also, you wrote way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too much to say "I feel that female human LoL champion models are biased towards oversexualized females, and also that there are way more of them than anything else."

You didn't get the point of this thread then.
And it doesn't have that many upvotes for that same reason. Many people skim the thread, understand what they expect the thread to be about and get on the defensive.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vu Sugoi

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Karolina:
Why is Shen's skin a realistic surgeon then.
Female skins are stylized in a particular direction. -> EDIT: mind you I'm okay with that, but I don't want just that.

OP said FM Nida belongs in a Gentleman's club, not that all french maids do. Reading comprehension.


uhh because that surgeon skin works with being a ninja? nurse akali could have the plain pajama nurse uniforms but how appealing with that be? surgeon shen looks like hes wants to cut someone open. nurse akali wants to heal you with a kick to the head so her portrait doesn't look like shes killing anyone. thats fracking ok. its not like shes killing 24/7. why dont we have easter teemo shooting blind darts into someone eye, its much more menacing that prancing around and pooping eggs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bitey

Junior Member

10-10-2012

My girlfriend quit playing LoL because of the way women are treated by the community. Sexism and gender discrimination is completely acceptable on the internet and these forums apparently.

Every time women discuss how something in LoL makes them feel. People on the internet often jump down their throat and try to argue that their feelings are invalid because of said *male perspective example*. It doesn't work that way... men don't dictate how women feel or should feel... The idea that Pentakill Olaf appeals to female gamers is further proof of the fact that men have a real difficulty understanding what women find appealing or sexually attractive.

Here is a perfect example of how men in the gaming community cannot handle any criticism.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/internet/2012/07/what-online-harassment-looks


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vu Sugoi

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Faerous:
When playing a game where the player is represented by an individual character, the developers will try to make that character "attractive" to the audience. Women can argue about the sexualizing (sic) of a character, because they care. Would you prefer to play a "wrinkled, graying old woman in her forties" ala Darius? Complete with sagging breasts? The fact is men have the same thing going on and don't care. Pick any male champion and 90% of the time they will have a musculature and build that is not represented too frequently in nature.

I noted the bias of the author when he said Lee Sin wasn't "overly muscular".
Lee could probably deadlift 700 on a slow day, his arms are like second thighs and his chest epitomizes the "barrel chest" imagery.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8yx_pQ8Gp3c/UA--9BhmB-I/AAAAAAAACmQ/8f7FQZaiVew/s1600/Muay_Thai_Lee_Sin.jpg (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-8yx_pQ8Gp3c%2FUA--9BhmB-I%2FAAAAAAAACmQ%2F8f7FQZaiVew%2Fs1600%2FMuay_Thai_Lee_Sin.jpg)

Oh yeah. Definitely realistic.


grandma warwick agree with this post


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cirrusstrafe

Recruiter

10-10-2012

We should set up a poll for this. Two in fact.

1) Who is offended by this?
I am
I am not

2) As a player of the game, are you overall enjoying the character models?
No
Yes

I guarantee you the results will both be unsurprising heavily skewed towards the second choices.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Cirrusstrafe:
We should set up a poll for this. Two in fact.

1) Who is offended by this?
I am
I am not

2) As a player of the game, are you overall enjoying the character models?
No
Yes

I guarantee you the results will both be unsurprising heavily skewed towards the second choices.

Its almost like there's an overwhelmingly male population


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
jireo:
uhh because that surgeon skin works with being a ninja? nurse akali could have the plain pajama nurse uniforms but how appealing with that be? surgeon shen looks like hes wants to cut someone open. nurse akali wants to heal you with a kick to the head so her portrait doesn't look like shes killing anyone. thats fracking ok. its not like shes killing 24/7. why dont we have easter teemo shooting blind darts into someone eye, its much more menacing that prancing around and pooping eggs.

Apart from the fact that you ignored everything else I said in that post:
And Kennen ? Why does he look like a real medic ?
And TF ? Why does he look like a real cowboy ?
Only male champions can look like the real deal ?

Akali could have perfectly looked like a real nurse. It's not like Shen's skin is very complex and yet it works.

EDIT: again, I'm not against her sexy nurse costume (especially after the Japan Red Cross relief thing), but almost all female skins are like that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cirrusstrafe

Recruiter

10-10-2012

Quote:
Shaella:
Its almost like there's an overwhelmingly male population


Yeah it's crazy, it's almost like there's an overwhelmingly large number of people who totally don't care and can have fun without being sore about random stuff that doesn't affect them in the slightest unless they intend on being offended.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Cirrusstrafe:
Yeah it's crazy, it's almost like there's an overwhelmingly large number of people who totally don't care and can have fun without being sore about random stuff that doesn't affect them in the slightest unless they intend on being offended.

It's like you have to physically try to be upset over it.

Upset? No
Bothered? Yes
I want to know why offering variety in female appearances upsets you sir.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-10-2012

Quote:
Cirrusstrafe:
Yeah it's crazy, it's almost like there's an overwhelmingly large number of people who totally don't care and can have fun without being sore about random stuff that doesn't affect them in the slightest unless they intend on being offended.
I'm not particularly offended by this, but even if I was: it's not the damn point of this thread.

And you sound like one of those guys who post "grow a thick skin" on verbal abuse threads.