@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EmChoc

10-09-2012

STUH STUH STUH STYLuS

Kahriel

10-09-2012

How is lux or fiora oversexualized? Sivir was made too look a little like xena, so her armor does as well. zyra is a poison ivy type charecter so she would flaunt like poison ivy. akali has side boob in on her original skin, and she has a sexy nurse skin, she has plenty of skins that cover her up. Vayne has a valentines day skin(of course vday would be sexy) other than that shes verywell coverd and doesnt flaunt anything

The game is about entertainment, look at movies, look at magazines (esp the magazines for women, some of those are basically playboys) This is our culture now, and this game does it alot less than most.

Will the sexy skin sell alot? yes, so it will be made to make money.
Have you seen many women play games? most i play with only use attractive females and never the ugly ones, maybe they have themselves to blame for this as well. 7 women i knew played wow, all were night elves and blood elves, no orcs, no trolls (if i met an actual female playing a troll they only used the one face that wasn't hideous) some didn't even use humans cause they said they looked fat.

Women go after the attractive women just as much, if not more so than men, therefor it sells to both genders better being attractive. From a business standpoint you would be crazy not to put a little sexiness in there for these reasons

lonesiekarp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
That is what I tried to point out this whole time.
Sure females might not have realistic bodies but do the male champions have that? Heck no.
I do agree that there are more female champions with ****tier clothes than male champions

like I understand where OP is coming from. I really really do. but at the same time it bothers me that in their huuuuuuge opening post they mention nothing about male body ideals. IronStylus brought up the three categories and it's just really creepy and true.

even male mages are huge imposing figures, either by clothing or physique. it's really unnerving. they might be an "athletic" body type, but that still implies muscular definition and other things. they might be less sexualized, but that doesn't mean they're any less stereotypical or damaging.

TheFlyingSpoon

10-09-2012

"The problem isn’t that there is no mancandy for women to oggle over. "

Draven.

Also, Riot pls, make a greaser Draven (70's Hot-Rod, Draven, black shirt, Black hair, black jeans.) See "Dazed and Confused" "Clint" for reference.

And OP did make me realize, where are the older women? We have a 7 yr old, where's the women over 40?

CaristinnQT

10-09-2012

roit pls female anthro champion

feminists get their jimmies soothed by a female bestial character

i drool all over my keyboard

it's a win/win

LetterQ

10-09-2012

A very nice discussion, thank you Ironstylus and I can't wait to see the upcoming champions.

CaristinnQT

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahriel View Post
How is lux or fiora oversexualized? Sivir was made too look a little like xena, so her armor does as well. zyra is a poison ivy type charecter so she would flaunt like poison ivy. akali has side boob in on her original skin, and she has a sexy nurse skin, she has plenty of skins that cover her up. Vayne has a valentines day skin(of course vday would be sexy) other than that shes verywell coverd and doesnt flaunt anything

The game is about entertainment, look at movies, look at magazines (esp the magazines for women, some of those are basically playboys) This is our culture now, and this game does it alot less than most.

Will the sexy skin sell alot? yes, so it will be made to make money.
Have you seen many women play games? most i play with only use attractive females and never the ugly ones, maybe they have themselves to blame for this as well. 7 women i knew played wow, all were night elves and blood elves, no orcs, no trolls (if i met an actual female playing a troll they only used the one face that wasn't hideous) some didn't even use humans cause they said they looked fat.

Women go after the attractive women just as much, if not more so than men, therefor it sells to both genders better being attractive. From a business standpoint you would be crazy not to put a little sexiness in there for these reasons
OP used a bunch of words and didn't make any points similar to blogs on tumblr that complain about "sexualization." If Ashe, Fiora, Sivir, or Lux being seen as sexualized is confusing you, that's why.

Karolina

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
Respond to my argument and not to my insult or you've just proven yourself wrong.
I responded to your insult because it was one of the most immature things I saw in this thread (and that's saying something).

Your argument ? You are saying that these champions appeal to their player base. That's an assumption. It may be right, it may be wrong. Just because "a friend of mine" or "this guy I know" like something doesn't make it the norm.

Some people like aesthetically pleasing champions (which is subjective) in addition to their kits (I'm one of those), and this thread is asking for more variety. The point isn't "Riot pls stop making sexy girls" it's "Riot pls make them more different from each other". Male champs are more varied, that's all.

For some reason people skim the OP and go straight into defensive mode for something that isn't there.

Don Sigurd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

The reason threads like this just irritate me so much is because they're always so dismissive of the entire community. The only people who make things like this an issue are people like OP when it just isnt necessary. Females are being oversexualized in league of legends? Talking about champion skins as if they arent equivalent to the average halloween costume or that they somehow arent in line with real fashion somehow? Male and female fashion styles are different, they have different goals with their design and what they are meant to showcase, especially with different body types, its that simple. The only people who ever actually oversexualize the female champions are people like OP who overanalyze the subject and treat female designs like statistics. If anything they are discriminating against women with large breasts and women who are sexy and still kick butt (and treat them as if they couldnt possibly ever exist), and discriminating against men by implying that the male champions either dont have a pattern they also fall into during design, or that the male pattern of designing is somehow less important. Its people like that who look at these champions and treat them like statistics that ruin awesome character designs and cheapens the value that a lot of hard working artists and designers dedicated themselves to. If women feel uncomfortable while online then it isnt a riot games issue, its a societal issue. Champion designs are not a breeding ground for sexism and hate, and neither is the league of legends community (except for people like OP who try to throw this stuff in peoples faces).

Kahriel

10-09-2012

Another good point is they are all fighting, fighting requires being in shape, an athletic women is skinny, has a nice butt, and boob size varies. Just like most of the female champs. Yes there are giant women made of pure muscle in real life, but that would not be ideal for a fight, as it would slow them down and the muscles would burn up energy quickly. they could put in more muscular women that fit in between though. im sure leona is built wearing all that armor and holding that big ass shield

same reason all the men are (minus gragas hes just a drunk) muscle bound or skinnier athletic depending on what they do