@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Timetraveler

10-08-2012

Erm... Spellthief lux?

Soph Senkai

10-08-2012

Female here, to clear things up.

just a quick note that some of these topics frustrate me to no ends. Though its not the OP's posts or IronStylus, its the people who state that they're isn't eye candy for females. I for one drool over Sexy Tryndamere, The rough buff types that if it were not for being out in the battlefield would probably be a nice guy, He appeals too me, just like Garen, who isn't bad on the eyes either. What some people think are "straight male" fantasies of what they would like too be, ARE in fact what some women are actively attracted too.

My other point also goes towards this mass of women who apparently get harassed by seemingly ever guy that finds out they are female. In the years that I've been actively playing MMOs (since my public school years back on WoW and Mabinogi) I have never been faced with these apparent slack jawed horde of sexist males, and I'm not one too hide I'm female and I'm not one to huddle into a small friend group. I've actually gotten more positive notes on my gender, or inadvertently a "Oh your female, cool, lets play." that summarizes 98% of my interaction on the topic.

If there are such scumbaggy people, I've yet too see them and I've yet too be called any kinda female slur. In fact I welcome one that's actually sincere.

The Null Revolt

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph Senkai View Post
Female here, to clear things up.

just a quick note that some of these topics frustrate me to no ends. Though its not the OP's posts or IronStylus, its the people who state that they're isn't eye candy for females. I for one drool over Sexy Tryndamere, The rough buff types that if it were not for being out in the battlefield would probably be a nice guy, He appeals too me, just like Garen, who isn't bad on the eyes either. What some people think are "straight male" fantasies of what they would like too be, ARE in fact what some women are actively attracted too.

My other point also goes towards this mass of women who apparently get harassed by seemingly ever guy that finds out they are female. In the years that I've been actively playing MMOs (since my public school years back on WoW and Mabinogi) I have never been faced with these apparent slack jawed horde of sexist males, and I'm not one too hide I'm female and I'm not one to huddle into a small friend group. I've actually gotten more positive notes on my gender, or inadvertently a "Oh your female, cool, lets play." that summarizes 98% of my interaction on the topic.

If there are such scumbaggy people, I've yet too see them and I've yet too be called any kinda female slur. In fact I welcome one that's actually sincere.
This exactly. When I play LoL, I'm not looking to flaunt my femininity, but occasionally its funny to crack a fun joke about it in the pre-game banter. I'm also not looking for sexually identifying characteristics of champions.

But what is apparent is that Riot definitely made a stride to include eye-candy in the game. Nurse Akalai, Maid Nidalee, and Officer Caitlyn definitely had me noticing the attempt. As said before they fall short when diversity is coming into the fold, not just for females, but for males as well. I'm not sure if this has to to do with the gender staffing of the art department or the fanbase, but the effect is definitely felt in that the attempt at including eye-candy is largely female sided.

Here's wishing I get my sexy styled males in game.

AwesomeMcRad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

So A video game caters to an audience. Don't some movies, songs, and books do this also? As a matter of fact they do I don't see why other forms of media can have products such as these and videogames can't.

In LoL's case it also appeals to a group that many don't consider a part of the "target" demographic, females. But my opinion is that the marketing of this product doesn't just cater to males, it's actually directed at anyone who has an apretiation for aesthetics much in the same way as product's from every other form of media does, and in the end they are here and also stay for the same appreceation of these same aesthetics as we are, in the end none of us would be here if it didn't apeal to us (try selling this same game to us if the character's were all talking cartoon versions of mundane household items like a vacuum cleaner or a garbage bin), again product's from every other medium do the same.
So why is it that we should expect the youngest of all these mediums to mature beyond boobs and muscles quicker than the ones that have been around for much longer?

Should we expect more from Riot because they appear to be company with a conscience?
Riot are great at PR I'll give them that, they are in the end a company owned by another, they will do what their owners believe will be best for their bottom line after taking into consideration all of the factors including the concerns of their customers, Riot will always make the decision they think will make them more money until they make less and have to reconsider. What they are doing works and continues to work we won't see a change till it stops.

Richarizard92

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Ezreal has boyish good looks, and he is a favorite amongst players who are attracted to males. But being attractive and being a sexual object is not the same thing.
This! Make Ez a sexual object!

GrittyTruth

10-09-2012

Benevolent(?) Sexism all abound. Catering towards the stereotypical feminist movement.
Assuming that all girls doesn't like the way tryndamere/garen/j4/xin looks. Jayce is a handsome mofo.
Assuming that all girls doesn't want to dress nicely or look attractive for men.

Sorry, men like bewbs, women like showing bewbs, win win, women likes manly man, men likes being manly, win win again, why change the formula.

Negative treatment towards girls are a little out of the line sometimes, but look at how guys treat eachother when it comes to raging, it's the same story, song and dance irl and here.

Tango TF, that is some legit stuff for girls to oogle at, suave romantic guy treating Eve like the lady she is.

It's okay though, OP's opinion on sexuality is true facts.

It's also okay to just upvote partially correct posts because male guilt or something right?

SilentNightSona

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrittyTruth View Post
Benevolent(?) Sexism all abound. Catering towards the stereotypical feminist movement.
Assuming that all girls doesn't like the way tryndamere/garen/j4/xin looks. Jayce is a handsome mofo.
Assuming that all girls doesn't want to dress nicely or look attractive for men.

Sorry, men like bewbs, women like showing bewbs, win win, women likes manly man, men likes being manly, win win again, why change the formula.

Negative treatment towards girls are a little out of the line sometimes, but look at how guys treat eachother when it comes to raging, it's the same story, song and dance irl and here.

Tango TF, that is some legit stuff for girls to oogle at, suave romantic guy treating Eve like the lady she is.

It's okay though, OP's opinion on sexuality is true facts.

It's also okay to just upvote partially correct posts because male guilt or something right?
True facts. As opposed to false facts. Hue.

Nah, I get what you mean, but still that gave me a laugh.

:3

Nikola999

10-09-2012

I suddenly want a Lin Bei Fong champion ._.

Darn you copyright laws!!!!!!

mogonk

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrittyTruth View Post
I don't know where to start.

get dat birdman

10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogonk View Post
I don't know where to start.
I get a distinct feeling his post was meant with a large dose of sarcasm. I could be wrong, though.