@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-08-2012
60 of 61 Riot Posts

Well, this thread is a bit hard for me to track as of now. It's going to get harder and harder to wade through the posts and find nuggets I can pick apart and explain. I think I've pretty much said what I've needed to say but as always I could go further. I'm going to see if I can find a venue to get some of our philosophy out into the world. This is something that might take a little time as departments sometimes need to come to alignment first. I know action speaks louder than words however, and that we will and should be judged by the content we release.

One of the cool things about this discussion as a whole, and this thread in particular, is that it allowed me to provide enough visibility inside the art department that our art director was able to check it out. He hasn't been around for too long. He's new and extremely awesome. He's open to a world of ideas but simultaneously knows what works and what doesn't in many different scenarios. He is very much about the variety thing. He is tasking us with exploring all sorts of avenues and challenge our approach to making female champions, and all champions really, and how we vary shape, age, coverage, cadence, etc.

All in all this has been extremely productive, and amazingly enough it was done with a lot of positivity. This topic wasn't drowned in a sea of downvotes. Indeed, there are a few people who put up the complaint of feminist saboteurs trying to undermine the art department, but what this really is, is about varied, fresh and lasting content.

In summation:

If we as content producers hope to keep producing content we must evolve and diversify. I will still maintain that we have a LOT of diversity in League of Legends. Could we have more? Absolutely. We're going to make plenty more champions, and we're going to push our limits. Yes, we may now and again float back to a place where things standardize for a while, but the hope is that even when we produce something archetypal is that it's fresh in it's own way and released in a cadence with possibly more experimental or unconventional characters.

We will be producing characters which push our silhouettes, not just costumes. We will be exploring characters that appeal to our female audience, we will visit the subject of diversity in shape, color, size, etc. My belief is that we do have a good handle on things. We have produced characters that last. We will take another look at characters we feel could use some updating. This will take time to work through the backlog an into release however, please be patient. This won't come in a torrent either, it will come in the form of hopefully a steady cadence which is refreshing each time. Will every character cater to everyone? No, nor should they. The job of our game is to create a world where everyone can identify with one or many characters, not a world where each character is appealing across the board. Some designs will enamor certain people, other designs might turn some people off. That's the nature of producing a rich world. Eliciting an emotion either way.

Any character content however is not produced to cater to a specific group. It is never the intention to appease or be reactionary. The motivation for any choice when developing a character is simply to do what's best for the character, to create a living fantasy which someone will latch onto. The creation of that fantasy alone dictates where we go from there. Luckily, fantasy comes in so many varied and wonderful forms. We are only limited to how much we may constrain ourselves.

We have so much to draw from and to create. A great start is always what comes from our community, what comes from threads like these. You should know that you do indeed have the power to shape what we release. We want to be clever just like you.

flamingpiggy

Recruiter

10-08-2012

bye parrot, it was a good discussion

Zerglinator

10-08-2012

I still want Sejuani to stay closer to her current design than what you seem to suggest, IronStylus. I think I got misinterpreted, and it got to me.

Doctor Swole

10-08-2012

men age like fine wine. women age like moldy bread. 40year old darius can be seen as hot. 40 year old misfortune is like my mom

AbiwonKenabi

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunehawk View Post
As a gay player, I adore the model of vlad. The Suave body language and poses, the elegance, everything his background would embody. Now if only his original model didnt look like someone took a huge white dump on his head. His blood lord skin just completely ignored his old model and made him into the stereotypical buff guy.
Yeah I think the original Vlad skin is really classy. That's kind of a thing women are attracted to right? I mean, I like that kind of stuff, but I don't want to speak for everybody.

L2 Sentinel

10-08-2012

Thank you, IronStylus. For everything. I know this was something you've been working on, but I'm grateful that you took the time out to listen to my ramblings and communicate with us. People like you are the reason Riot is the greatest gaming company ever. You're art director sounds freakin' amazing, and I am over the moon that he's been watching this thread and even sent out a mass e-mail. I love you guys!

Shaella

10-08-2012

welp, i'm out kids, troll ya again in a few months

selfmurder

10-08-2012

violence is bad please delete the game

SilentNightSona

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
welp, i'm out kids, troll ya again in a few months
There is a next post button for red posts... but why is there no next post button for Shaella posts?

Make it happen Riot!

EDIT: Actually, on a related, more serious note, posts from former reds (such as Shurelia) can disrupt the flow of the 'next red post button' as that option no longer becomes available. This is semi solvable by clicking the new 'last red post button', but it does not work if say, Shurelia, was the first red at the time to post in that thread, and the thread is very large.

Can we add a fix to put the 'next red post button' into responses like these?

Jadest

10-08-2012

Dude Karma IS sexualized. Look at her strut.