@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
I have to prove I am a guy? Since when? Like i said in my post - I have never gone around saying "I AM A GUY!!!!!!!!!!" - that is stupid.
You go around saying you're Captain America. That has implications about gender that nobody questions because it's the norm. Whereas if someone were to go around saying they were the Black Widow, that would have implications about gender that WOULD be questioned, and likely ridiculed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
First of all, you chose to get on skype with random people. Without responding to each one of your points because I am in a game at the moment - he is making fun of you. If you were a kid (young boy) he would make fun of you. If you had a high pitch voided, he would make fun of you. If (and in this case) you are a girl, he will make fun of you. He is looking to be an ass hole. You purposely ignored the fact that he was also looking to make fun of kids and just chose the feminist approach of "he is only attacking me because i am a girl."

Wrong.

He was being an ass hat, that is as simple as that. You are choosing to see an argument that does not exist. (Judging by how upset you are at what he said, he succeeded. He enjoys (because hes an ass hat) your responses to him).
because gender discrimination doesn't exist on the internet

What you're saying is that the ****** she was talking to would have made fun of her for being a girl, or for being a girly man. That would seem to be a distinction without a difference.

On a more general note, I'm always irritated when people say a griefer 'succeeded' at anything, because successful griefing is the ultimate failure in most cases.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatsp1n View Post
OP,

Problem solved:
Feminism also shrinks your *****


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

best euro NA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

In real life you don't see a bunch of dudes walking shirtless, but you do see a bunch of chicks walking around showing off their equipment.

Based on Evolution, females are seeking of a man who will take care of them, IE take care of their kids, and in todays world that means money. Males do not have the constraints that females have. They aren't that ones that get stuck with the kid etc. So from a males point of view they have to pretty much go around spreading their seeds.

It has statistically been shown that the thing males seek most is attractiveness while women prioritize resources.

But lets look at the kind of men women like and whether this game has it

Frat bros - Brolaf
Vampire looking dude who likes blood - Vladamir
Muscular dude - Tryndamere
Epic Mustache - Sultan Tryndamere/ Gangplank
Skinny/ Wimpy skateboarder - Ezreal
The hispanic dude gettings all the chicks - Talon/ Twisted Fate
OId swag with the resources (gold?) - Gangplank

and don't forget your traditional pretty boys who go to Ivy League schools

Jayce, Garen, Jarvan

and last but not least, for those middle school teachers sleeping with boys

Teemo


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Obzidian

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
I have to prove I am a guy? Since when? Like i said in my post - I have never gone around saying "I AM A GUY!!!!!!!!!!" - that is stupid.

However i am going to go out on a hunch and make your question more complex: What I think you are asking is: Why is it that when I say I am a girl, I have to prove it - but guys do not?

Reverting back to my original post: Why are you even stating you are a girl? in a video game, gender has NO impact on game play. Nobody cares. Get over it. The more underlying reason is that statistically, not many girls play league of legends. The ratio of male to female players in any game is massively disproportionate. The amount of guys POSING as girls, however, is pretty damn common.



First of all, you chose to get on skype with random people. Without responding to each one of your points because I am in a game at the moment - he is making fun of you. If you were a kid (young boy) he would make fun of you. If you had a high pitch voided, he would make fun of you. If (and in this case) you are a girl, he will make fun of you. He is looking to be an ass hole. You purposely ignored the fact that he was also looking to make fun of kids and just chose the feminist approach of "he is only attacking me because i am a girl."

Wrong.

He was being an ass hat, that is as simple as that. You are choosing to see an argument that does not exist. (Judging by how upset you are at what he said, he succeeded. He enjoys (because hes an ass hat) your responses to him).
You're making a lot of assumptions there.
First, he made several more comments in the call in front of everyone hitting on me. He was actually trying to determine if I was a woman before he started flirting pretty heavily, which I ignored.
Secondly, I'm actually not really that upset. I'm used to it. Do I think its stupid that I have had to get used to it? Absolutely.
The comments I quoted were ones he actually typed out at me that were still in my Skype log.

Why would I get on Skype with random strangers? To better coordinate and win the game. Plenty of people do it. My Skype happens to be completely based around gaming so it doesn't reveal RL info for me. Its the same reason that people get on voice over ip software on a multitude of games and why people argue for voice chat being part of LoL and why you have LiveChat, etc.

A better question would be, why wouldn't I?

As to the idea that nobody cares whether someone they're playing with is a woman or a man?

The internet would beg to differ with you.
I'll refer you to the video mentioned by OP, with commentary from M5.
Or, you know, Fat, Ugly or ****ty -- largely quotes from Xbox live but again proving overwhelmingly that people DO care if you're a guy or a girl in games.
Edit: Tried to use a site to make the link work because of the censoring -- original site shows up on a google search for "fat ugly or" URL is Fatuglyor****ty dot com

Pretending it doesn't matter and nobody cares is disingenuous at best.

I'd also like to point out that we don't know the statistics of women to men players. You're making an assumption until Riot comes out and provides those stats. And those assumptions? They're based on the fact that the people who are more visual/vocal/open about playing LoL are men/male. And now we come full circle. Why are they more vocal? Because they don't risk the same form of harassment by being out with their gender.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GaafGrohiik

Senior Member

10-08-2012

jesus, this thread is still going? Don't you have Birkenstocks to buy or something?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cpt America

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Placeholder for me to respond to huge walls of text people are posting back at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
That's not the only case. Most often than not the result will not be someone trying to make fun of you, it will be someone trying to hit on you, someone trying to patronize you or someone underestimating you.
An ass hat is an ass hat, there is nothing confusing about that. If you think a couple of guys being immature or whatever they are being whether it be condescending or degrading is the normal, then i suggest you find a new group of friends to hang around. There is really nothing normal about making fun of somebody, specifically in your case you like to mention, gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
You go around saying you're Captain America. That has implications about gender that nobody questions because it's the norm. Whereas if someone were to go around saying they were the Black Widow, that would have implications about gender that WOULD be questioned, and likely ridiculed.


because gender discrimination doesn't exist on the internet

What you're saying is that the ****** she was talking to would have made fun of her for being a girl, or for being a girly man. That would seem to be a distinction without a difference.

On a more general note, I'm always irritated when people say a griefer 'succeeded' at anything, because successful griefing is the ultimate failure in most cases.

My ex team mates name was "Judy Monica" - before i had ever met the guy, i looked at his name and said, okay it is a girl. Big deal. Never thought anything of it. I do not understand your point - Captain America is an American Icon and Hero, he is male. Yes. Black Widow, another hero, is female. If somebody had the name Black Widow i would assume she is a girl unless told otherwise. I do not understand your argument.

Actually, i will tell you something interesting. I care so little about gender, that in game, i do not even pay attention to names. I pay attention to champions. I refer to anybody playing Soraka as "she" and anybody playing Lee Sin as a "guy".

And i really do not care if you are irritated when somebody says a griefer is "successful" becasue that's what a greifer is, thats what they do, they grief. If the person they are talking to is griefed, then they are successful. Stop trying to be a psychologist and mask the issues like a lot of people in this thread please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzidian View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions there.
First, he made several more comments in the call in front of everyone hitting on me. He was actually trying to determine if I was a woman before he started flirting pretty heavily, which I ignored.
Secondly, I'm actually not really that upset. I'm used to it. Do I think its stupid that I have had to get used to it? Absolutely.
The comments I quoted were ones he actually typed out at me that were still in my Skype log.

Why would I get on Skype with random strangers? To better coordinate and win the game. Plenty of people do it. My Skype happens to be completely based around gaming so it doesn't reveal RL info for me. Its the same reason that people get on voice over ip software on a multitude of games and why people argue for voice chat being part of LoL and why you have LiveChat, etc.

A better question would be, why wouldn't I?

As to the idea that nobody cares whether someone they're playing with is a woman or a man?

The internet would beg to differ with you.
I'll refer you to the video mentioned by OP, with commentary from M5.
Or, you know, Fat, Ugly or ****ty -- largely quotes from Xbox live but again proving overwhelmingly that people DO care if you're a guy or a girl in games.
Edit: Tried to use a site to make the link work because of the censoring -- original site shows up on a google search for "fat ugly or" URL is Fatuglyor****ty dot com

Pretending it doesn't matter and nobody cares is disingenuous at best.

I'd also like to point out that we don't know the statistics of women to men players. You're making an assumption until Riot comes out and provides those stats. And those assumptions? They're based on the fact that the people who are more visual/vocal/open about playing LoL are men/male. And now we come full circle. Why are they more vocal? Because they don't risk the same form of harassment by being out with their gender.
Sorry, but everything you just posted is Invalid. Rather, you told me that i am making a lot of assumptions, then you go ahead and make many assumptions of your own - TLDR; your whole post is invalid in my eyes. But i will still attempt to respond.

1) I never said do not get on Skype. I never said that communication does not help.

2) I even said that what they are doing and how they are acting is not normal. So once again stop arguing with yourself or turning a blind eye to 1 side of my argument and singling out another part without reading everything in context. That gets you no where.

3) The internet is the internet - It provides a shield for many people to speak their minds with no harmful repercussions. That is good and that is bad. But you cannot have one without the other. As i suggested before, I do not see how being fat, or ugly (in the eyes of the beholder) or pretty or hot or anything has to do with the game, so I could care less. That is like saying because there is a Rioter in my game, if he is doing bad I will not call him out. If the Rioter is doing bad, I will straight up tell him he is sucking and get his act together. Simple. Same with a girl. I do not care if you are a guy or you are a girl - Play your role well and what is the matter?

4) I'd "also" like to point out you do not know the statistics of women to men players. You are "also" making assumptions until Riot comes out and provides those stats. (Sorry i just wanted to repost your own argument against you - Do you realize that no more then 5-10 posts ago, somebody posted about a huge interview during the live tournament this past weekend that said there should be more girl gamers because there is not that many? That there are a very few percent of guys who are married ect ect? Girls are missing in the gaming sphere across the board in every game - If you cannot see that, then you are acting oblivious and there is frankly no logic that can help you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Shank

Senior Member

10-08-2012

As much as I love you oh Parrot Lord, are you the one ultimately responsible for Ahri being a ***-symbol? If you are shame on you and I hope you learned. Yeah you made midnight Ahri but her base art has ***** written all over it, just her entire design is ****ty.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MathMage

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
An ass hat is an ass hat, there is nothing confusing about that. If you think a couple of guys being immature or whatever they are being whether it be condescending or degrading is the normal, then i suggest you find a new group of friends to hang around. There is really nothing normal about making fun of somebody, specifically in your case you like to mention, gender.
...Making fun of people isn't normal?

Where have you been?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phoebos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

This is a classic example of people failing to understand how objectification works with men. Here's a quick primer:

Woman is shown as a near-inanimate object or prize to be won: objectification.

Man is shown as powerful and to be judged only by the things he can do, not who he is as an individual: objectification.

Man is shown as a near-inanimate object or prize to be won: basically never happens.

Woman is shown as powerful and to be judged only by the things she can do, not who she is as an individual: basically never happens.

I.E. objectified women are ornaments; objectified men are appliances. Vice versa is still objectification, but almost never happens.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SAVAGEVOLCANO

Member

10-08-2012

If Riot needs an example of an appealing design for women here's one. Not "male power fantasy" muscular but he still looks fairly strong. He's got that George Clooney handsome look going on so he's pretty attractive to a lot of women and men.