@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3omg View Post
You do realise Shaella is a famous girl gamer, right? She's really high elo and used to stream a lot, and even shoutcasted at official Riot events.

She's married to Renektonbot, dude.
Wow no
Slygoat is who i'm married too
Renektonbot is just a fling


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbiwonKenabi

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by istoph View Post
you really make me laugh when you atk one side and then try to atk the other so show an unbiast approach to pointing out flaws.

as for age section you tried to make, riot has already said they do not make champs that people will not play. they made the mistake with urgot and even though he sees high level play he is laughed at more times than not in low elo and normal play. people dont like playing lulu cause hes a frumpy Hansel and Gertel lookin witch girl. what women gamer wants to be a haggardly old or ugly avatar?? each character commands a form of power from their appearance. you want to find flaws which is why you have created to many.
I'm all for counter-arguing, but your points are shaky at best and they are held back by less-than-stellar grammar.

I don't have time to argue against all of your counter-arguments, but your last one in particular stood out to me. (Which I've highlighted here for sake of space conservation)

Sure, people don't like playing certain champions and some are less popular than others, but Riot has stated that they don't mind making champs that have a niche following as long as it adds something to the game. I think Urgot falls in this category and there are a lot of people who enjoy playing Urgot. And you are also making too many assumptions about other players; not everyone has the same tastes as you might have. For instance, you say no one wants to play Lulu, but I actually really like Lulu both gameplay- and design-wise. (I like how silly and childish she is, and her Whimsy is so much fun to use!) Another example might be Kog'Maw. Kog has a huge following despite the fact that he is a slimy oozing Void monster; people really like his design and cute puppy-dog-esque charm....but maybe not necessarily everyone is into that. Some people might like playing older (age-wise) characters--look at champions like Zilean and Swain, older guys that have a cool aura/demeanor that some people really like.

To sum it up: don't assume you know what every player likes and doesn't like


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
Wow no
Slygoat is who i'm married too
Renektonbot is just a fling
ohmygodimsosorry.midi


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SillyFearz

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Because the assumption is that all players are male
thats pretty inherently sexist
The thought of it is sexist but the ratio to male to females playing the game is what makes people think they are playing with a guy. I dont think most players go around worried if they are playing with a guy or girl though just hope they dont suck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

What I don't understand is why Riot won't just release Birthday Suit Malzahar already so I can give them my money? Come on people.

Unprepared Garen would be pretty good too.

Wait, how do they know how many girls they have? I've never taken a survey. I wonder if Lyte like, just...knows... based on who has bought Spellthief Lux and who has never played Trundle..


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyFearz View Post
The thought of it is sexist but the ratio to male to females playing the game is what makes people think they are playing with a guy. I dont think most players go around worried if they are playing with a guy or girl though just hope they dont suck.
you don't find it interesting that when given an individual, instead of assuming the 50/50 of male female (and actually i believe the overall female population is slightly greater) you assume male


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbiwonKenabi

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3omg View Post
What I don't understand is why Riot won't just release Birthday Suit Malzahar already so I can give them my money? Come on people.

Unprepared Garen would be pretty good too.

Wait, how do they know how many girls they have? I've never taken a survey. I wonder if Lyte like, just...knows... based on who has bought Spellthief Lux and who has never played Trundle..
...I've never played Trundle but I don't have Spellthief Lux.... What does that make me?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Obzidian

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cpt America View Post
I didn't read anything because there is a simple solution:

Why the hell do you even have to state your gender in game? I have never, EVER yelled "I AM A GUY AND I WILL BE PLAYING DARIUS TOP LANE" before - that is stupid.

I really have known that anybody i was ever playing with was a girl unless they told me otherwise. Is there some secret to if a girl is playing a game their character moves differently? Give me a break.
Playing solo in rankeds. My team decides to get on Skype during champ select to better coordinate. I know this *could* be a problem for me, but I get on Skype anyway. I want to work with my team to the best of my ability.

First comment, "Are you a girl or a prepubescent boy?" -- Why does it even matter? I ignore it and talk about the game.
Other comments that come from the same guy
hey cute voice little boy girl
so are you cute?
accept my request and play with me love!

Now, this is pretty mild. I'll admit I play with some awesome people I randomly met in League and my gender has never been an issue with them and I love playing with them. However, there's also been some not so mild harassment. And that doesn't include the misogyny you encounter when people assume they're just playing with a group of guys. (Cannot count how many times I've heard someone try to insult another player by insinuating they are a girl or feminine).

Why *does* my gender matter when playing? Why does it have to be commented on? Because random folks I play with force it to be commented on.

The answer isn't "Don't get on Skype" or "Don't mention your gender". The answer is for people to STOP HARASSING WOMEN PLAYERS. Those of you who already don't, Great job! You're a decent human being. Keep doing that. Those of you who do, STOP. Its that simple. That's how we make gender not be an issue in our community. And if you really want to make a difference, no matter your gender, when you see gender (or sexuality or race) harassment going on, call the person out and let them know its not acceptable.

And the simple answer to diversity in champions is for there to be more diverse champions created.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UsetheForkLuke

Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobbo View Post
If so many people both male and female, are complaining about skimpy outfits over-sexualising female characters, then Riot should fix it asap.

Next patch:
Any character that is female, has to wear a Burka while out in public on the fields of justice.


Example: Soraka and Caitlyn duo bot will now appear less sexy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anistan_01.jpg

Problem solved.
This, a thousand times this. Let there be an option in the client to "Agree with IronStylus's artistic vision for Female Champions" and have all the models for females replaced by the ghosts from Pac Man.

We could have skins you could buy too!

Armored Burqa: Makes metallic clanking noises as they move around the map, but no visible change.

High Heels Burqa: 3 inches taller, but otherwise looks the same.

Different Colored Burqa: Game randomly picks a shade every match for this skin!

The "You didn't know it was a guy under this" Burqa: Yes, Ezreal likes em too! This would show just how equal we all are.

Might make identifying the champions a bit harder, but we can put the champ's name as a subtitle under the summoner's name, no big deal.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbiwonKenabi

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
you don't find it interesting that when given an individual, instead of assuming the 50/50 of male female (and actually i believe the overall female population is slightly greater) you assume male
I think what SillyFearz means is, regarding League of Legends players, there are generally more male than female. For me, I don't really care what gender they are in-game, just their performance, but I generally default to using "he" if they are playing a male champ and "she" if the champ is female.

But I believe you are right, females out-populate males in the overall world population.