@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karolina

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
Find me a male that is unsexy as anything other than a direct result of his kit. You people keep pushing Gragas as if he's a "get out of sexism free card", but he is fat as a result of his kit and is not even actually human.
Maybe you think they are sexy, but they are still pandering to the male audience. Olaf ? Graves ? Those are not a female fantasy, they are aimed at dudes just like the OP says (generally speaking, of course ymmv).

Apart from Rugged Garen, Ezreal for some, TF, Varus and maybe Jayce I can't really see champions being created as eye-candy for girls.

Why is variety so bad ? Why are there so many people screaming about feminists and raging that they will ruin everything ? Why so much hyperbole ? The point of this thread is to make things to come a bit more colorful.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FATTYxFATALITY

Junior Member

10-08-2012

As a straight male with a sense of humor I think overly sexualized and flirtatious male champions would be an awesome addition to the league!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morphine

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
Gragas is not human, but if you want to go there yes he is. He's a fantasy archetype (drunken brawler) taken to an extreme the same way a fantasy archetype (sexy pirate hooker) is taken to the extreme with MF.

Ezreal is very literally an Anime fantasy. He is the male equivalent of Ahri.

Varus is a straight-up stripper with an impossible male body. Jax isn't human, Shaco isn't human, Draven is again impossibly fit.

It turns out that your own subjective opinion has literally nothing to do with the fact that every single champ Riot has produced is an idealization of some archetype.
I think my eyes may have rolled into the back of my head. I may need surgery on my optic nerve.

Yes, a bunch of them aren't human. That's the point.

Non-human females: 6 in total - the three yordle girls, Anivia, Cassio and Orianna. You could potentially argue for one or two more if you count obviously sexual adult women as "non-human" on technicality (Zyra being an example).

Non-human males: I just went through the entire list. There are 43, plus a few wiggle cases like Vlad or Swain.

People are asking for even a trivial attempt at balancing this gender disparity. Gragas may be "a fantasy archetype" if you mean that it's been done before, ever. The problem is that female characters are very frequently variants on a single archetype (sexy X - X substituted pirate, cop, wind mage, whatever), whereas males are generally played straight. Udyr is a druid and isn't poledancing and mewling about mating season. Graves is law/crime themed and isn't talking about his fuzzy cuffs. Brand is elemental-themed and isn't talking about getting you hot for $2.99 a minute.

You think that "hey, could we have some more monsters or other variety in the female heroes" wouldn't be a huge issue, but there's always someone like you stomping their feet and pouting about how much respect they've lost for Riot because they open up a dialogue with their players and float the idea of not making every female a pinup doll. Grow up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crosbie

Senior Member

10-08-2012

He just said "every human male", shortly after saying Gragas was not a human male. Looks like you misinterpreted that one.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Fantastic View Post
Your argument is seriously that Riot designed Gragas with the intention of selling him to women with a fetish for morbidly obese men?

Seriously?
My point is that Gragas was designed from the ground up to be a drunken brawler, and has an exaggerated drunken brawler physique. His appearance, like, say, Urgot's, is wholly a result of his kit.

I am worried about the fact that you couldn't understand this from my prior post, since him being designed physically around his kit was literally the point of that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliai View Post
I think my eyes may have rolled into the back of my head. I may need surgery on my optic nerve.

Yes, a bunch of them aren't human. That's the point.

Non-human females: 6 in total - the three yordle girls, Anivia, Cassio and Orianna. You could potentially argue for one or two more if you count obviously sexual adult women as "non-human" on technicality (Zyra being an example).

Non-human males: I just went through the entire list. There are 43, plus a few wiggle cases like Vlad or Swain.

People are asking for even a trivial attempt at balancing this gender disparity. Gragas may be "a fantasy archetype" if you mean that it's been done before, ever. The problem is that female characters are very frequently variants on a single archetype (sexy X - X substituted pirate, cop, wind mage, whatever), whereas males are generally played straight. Udyr is a druid and isn't poledancing and mewling about mating season. Graves is law/crime themed and isn't talking about his fuzzy cuffs. Brand is elemental-themed and isn't talking about getting you hot for $2.99 a minute.

You think that "hey, could we have some more monsters or other variety in the female heroes" wouldn't be a huge issue, but there's always someone like you stomping their feet and pouting about how much respect they've lost for Riot because they open up a dialogue with their players and float the idea of not making every female a pinup doll. Grow up.
This is not the argument being made by the majority of posters in this thread at all, and certainly is not the argument being made by the OP. I am 10)% on board for more Cassiopeia-style female monsters. I am not on board for Riot creating women who are "Plain Jane" just to pander to some sexist minority who thinks that men aren't sexualized but women are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
Maybe you think they are sexy, but they are still pandering to the male audience. Olaf ? Graves ? Those are not a female fantasy, they are aimed at dudes just like the OP says (generally speaking, of course ymmv).

Apart from Rugged Garen, Ezreal for some, TF, Varus and maybe Jayce I can't really see champions being created as eye-candy for girls.

Why is variety so bad ? Why are there so many people screaming about feminists and raging that they will ruin everything ? Why so much hyperbole ? The point of this thread is to make things to come a bit more colorful.
Olaf and Graves aren't part of a female fantasy?

I guess this http://newspaper.li/static/a18222f14...1c8728294d.jpg is just a famous picture because of the good use of lighting, then.

Your specific tastes have nothing to do with the objective fact that every character is sexualized. I don't find Miss Fortune sexy in the slightest, but she is like the poster child for the pseudo-feminists on these boards.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myrkr Lokidottir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-08-2012

As a female gamer that is pro-variety and anti-sexualization (for males and females!), I'd be very pro a new "sexy" and "curvy" female champ...

... if...

... she were to split open like a star at the stomach and reveal some Lovecraftian horror whenever she did a taunt or a skill, or even a laugh, etc. Basically, a monster that's trying to masquerade as a woman, as if the human form was a second skin.

I'd actually get RP and buy that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light Fantastic

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
Why is variety so bad ? Why are there so many people screaming about feminists and raging that they will ruin everything ? Why so much hyperbole ? The point of this thread is to make things to come a bit more colorful.
This is exactly it. I have no problem with sexualised female champs, I just find female champ design in this game intensely boring.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morphine

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkr Lokidottir View Post
As a female gamer that is pro-variety and anti-sexualization (for males and females!), I'd be very pro a new "sexy" and "curvy" female champ...

... if...

... she were to split open like a star at the stomach and reveal some Lovecraftian horror whenever she did a taunt or a skill, or even a laugh, etc. Basically, a monster that's trying to masquerade as a woman, as if the human form was a second skin.

I'd actually get RP and buy that.
This would be rad. I think LeBlanc kind of hints at this, being an illusionist - though my guess is that beneath it all, she's an old woman rather than an abomination.

Read her judgment if you haven't, it's trippy as hell and very cool.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Light Fantastic

Senior Member

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
My point is that Gragas was designed from the ground up to be a drunken brawler, and has an exaggerated drunken brawler physique. His appearance, like, say, Urgot's, is wholly a result of his kit.

I am worried about the fact that you couldn't understand this from my prior post, since him being designed physically around his kit was literally the point of that post.
So why don't Riot do the same with female champs? Is there a reason Urgot couldn't have been female? Or Shaco? Conversely, how do Sona's gigantic breasts and incredibly low neckline relate to her kit? Why is Sejuani wearing a leather bikini in the coldest environment in the game? Or Ashe, for that matter? What is it about mastering the dark arts that makes Morgana feel the need to bare her midriff? Etc etc etc.

I agree, it's limiting for men to be confined to "badass" and women to be confined to "temptress". That's why Taric and Ezreal are seen as being gay (ffs), and it's a contributory factor to why no-one plays Poppy. It cuts both ways, but I would argue that "badass" has a much, much broader scope than "temptress".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Summerfest

Senior Member

10-08-2012

@any Red, I don't want to support sexism so I would like a refund on my Porno Bunny Riven skin please.

This thread has brought to my attention how offensive it is and I don't want any part in sexism.