@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DJ Shyvana

10-08-2012

It just seems odd to me that we attach these real world problems to characters which in turn attaches the problems to the creators of said characters. But no one seems to be giving the creators a benefit of a doubt and are judging solely on the basis of some concept art.

I mean if you delve into the lore or just listen to the jokes and taunts you can clearly see that the large number of characters don't come across as any type of sexy/handsome.

Personally, I think it just disrespectful to the designers to "judge a book by it's cover" as we put it in the real world. When clearly *** appeal was not the driving force behind the creation.

And if it's just the splash art that is offending people, which seems to be the majority, maybe make an option to turn the splash art off for the 15 seconds that it pops up in the loading screen.

Emailsúpport

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
Was there anything anywhere in my post that gave any indication that making fanservice for females would do anything to solve the problem as I presented it? -_-
To be honest, I don't even understand your probleM. You seem to want that all females are dressed from head to toe in thick armor, sure, there should be some champions like that.
In fact, there are already champions and skins like that, do you want more of it?
It just seems like you're butthurt cause many of the females have skimpy clothing and male champions do not, this problem is simple to fix, more armored females but stay the **** off the current ones.
Also, all females are beautiful and have the ideal body but so do the male champions, the difference is that the ideal body for males is muscular, big and tall which is not always what females find attractive.

Borand

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Eoin, one of our other senior artists, who designed Fiora, Varus, Draven, and a TON of skins, is designing a particular character that I think will very much please a lot of people in a lot of ways in the area of looks. Eoin brings a really unique style to his champions, and what you will be seeing from him in the future will make the angels cry.
Is there a blog this guy has, or a site with his portfolio? I like watching stuff you guys make aside league of legends.

P.S.: Parrot, I really really would like to have a conversation with you one day, you seem to be a very decent person

Emailsúpport

10-08-2012

doublepost

BanderitaUSA

10-08-2012

FML, with people like you we are going to end having more Poppys who are superfun to play but are so hideous that no one really wants to (unless they are OP and bring free Elo).
And it shows how biased this thread actually is, I'm actually considering these to be a troll thread, by how easily you classify a female champion as stripper and how, when faced with the male counterpart, you justify it with some bs.
You girls should care less about this stupid trivial **** and play the damn game, how many males are playing LoL? How many complain about Varus or Pantheon or Tryndamere? 0.
Miss Fortune's lore justifies her skins and poses, thats one you can rule out. The other are many retarded arguments, and why can't we have nice things? If we had none, what would happen with all the busty girls that play LoL and won't get represented?
We need more Sonas, not more Luxes (which you seem to consider sexualized, wtf?)
The female stripper skin section is just retarded, we can discuss Battle Bunny (who is fanmade and the whole purpose of the skin) and maybe Kitty Cat Katarina, the rest are waaaaaaaaaay off.

Borand

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
Milk cow
Looking into it. Thanks

EDIT: Can't find any links

C7G Laser

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drylln View Post
Being a female, AND an artist I can agree with a couple of your points. There are plenty non-sexualized champions in this game. Key point is, it's a game. If you don't want to buy the "sexy" Vayne or Riven skin, then don't; but don't keep making these stupid threads boasting about how Riot makes not attempt to change it up a little.
Iron Stylus has done quite a bit to bring us female champions who aren't they typical mold of super sexy, scantilly clad, female champs, and I really applaud him... (btw Iron Stylus I want your babies...) But your point about how there's no "man candy" for chicks to look at in game is incorrect. There are plenty male champions that are your strong alpha male type knights in shining armor that women would like (if they're into that whole, amg that hawt video game man stuff). But I don't think girls and women are going to make such a big deal about something that really has no relevance.

In regards to:
The truth is, if you can't handle playing video games on the internet... then don't. I used to play Halo at a competitive level between 2005-2006. I was on a sponsored team, but never was there a day when I didn't get trolled or called a ***** for being a girl who happened to be very good at a video game. Tell your friend she needs to get thicker skin. 95% of the people on the forums who flame women are cockless virgins who live in their mother's basements and need their asses wiped for them.

What I will say though supporting some of those people that flame is that, a lot of women and girls try to use their "*** appeal" to get attention and that't not right. I've seen it in Halo, I've seen it in WoW (which happened to be the reason many guilds collapsed, if anyone know's about the original <Death Wish> of Cho'gall/Scilla and many other accounts)... but it happens CONSTANTLY. I personally pride myself in having as FEW female friends as I can because 9/10 times they're obnoxious, ****ty, attention-craving and terrible at whatever video game is in question. These same women also like to brand themselves as "GAMER GIRLS" and think it's ok to be a plague and make the REAL female gamers want to shy away from the lime light.

Acting like an obnoxious ***** isn't ok and with e-sports getting big, more and more will come out of the woodwork because there's more ways for them to get attention like streaming ect.

Riot is doing a fine job with their diversity of champions, they have monsters, yordles, automatons, and humanoids (they could possibly venture into making a couple darker skinned humanoids) but they're pretty much covering most of it.

Please, get over the whole "Riot is being sexist" ****.
best post in thread....please have my babies .

Just kidding about the last part, but honestly, well said. It truly is hard sometimes to differentiate between the true girl gamers and the girls who play video games. Much respect

Ankhling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
that's not it. it's not an issue of preserving a balance among the existing models we've already created (and how they're categorized, aesthetically).

the topic is a very large web of issues, so simplifications are more 'dangerous' than usual—personally i tend to avoid using them due to how inherently loaded they are. i think if we really wanted to make a broad assessment of the topic at hand, and a sort of 'consensus of predilection' to go along with it, i think ironstylus's comment of 'we need more variety' is the least egregious possible. he has been working in the midst this for a while, and his heart is certainly in the thick of it. he has a good sense of things.

i'm not an artist, but as someone very strongly invested in character creation i believe the idea is that when we create, we endeavor to do so with purpose. the individual pieces of our champions/skin need to make sense, and making the same body with the same treatment ad nauseum becomes senseless and stale. if there aren't other body types and treatments to be used as a contrast, characters can lose identity and we can lose the ability to appreciate more deeply.

that is to say, the harder it is to neatly place all of our champions into groups by similar body type and treatment, while preserving other aspects (easy to read, strong silhouette, has character/personality, etc), the better off everyone is.

I would expect a Riot employee to at least know how to use capitalization and punctuation. Shame on you Riot.

Miirik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2012

something wrong with fanservice skins?

I will let you know sir, my lady friends all love those skins.

i'd rather have open minded women play rather than feminist scum.

CHECK YOUR CIS PRIVILEGE

Emailsúpport

10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borand View Post
Looking into it. Thanks

EDIT: Can't find any links
I was trying to say that you're a suck up.
But I failed miserably and chose the wrong word. Cause english is my second language.

I only know a few riot artists with deviantart accounts, Knock'maw is one of them.