@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stielhandgranate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Holy ****, why can't you people quit whining. It's a video game based on fantasy elements, not real life.

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimwolff View Post
Only time I comment on a girl in game is when she makes a point to tell me in chat that she is a girl. Typically doing this is just trying to incite something from someone isn't it? I mean I don't personally harass players because of gender but I've seen it in many games and its always because the particular player feels the need to let everyone know they are a girl.
Imagine a world in which you are assumed to be a girl unless stated otherwise. Do you think that maybe some guys might not like being addressed as "she" and "her" all the time?

Nirc

10-05-2012

There is a lot of fanservice in the game, but I think, really, it's just that

It would be nice if a game company would, for once, try to actually make a female fighter and not a spellcaster with loin cloths

As for females' issue with being marginalized by the community, I think that is an issue with playing online games as a whole; it's not specific to LoL and removing fanservice won't fix it

tempnameA461

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielhandgranate View Post
Holy ****, why can't you people quit whining. It's a video game based on fantasy elements, not real life.
Then why are all of our female champions ugly and not in my fantasies?
I have pretty low standards, too..

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatxGuy1337 View Post
Also on a side note, while I agree on more diversity, there are a few select ladies who try to take advantage of their gender. There is no need to bring up gender in a game. Male or female there is no benefit, nor should their be.
That's kind of an interesting position to take as someone who advertises his gender in his summoner name.

Algorhythms

10-05-2012

who gives a ****

all feminists are just attention deprived girls who are good at nothing but whining

any chick who is a feminist tends to marginalize themselves, just like you're doing with your stupidly overused topic about something that is trivial and has no worth discussing

RevelASIAN

10-05-2012

Tl:dnfr.

Lysinc

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimwolff View Post
Only time I comment on a girl in game is when she makes a point to tell me in chat that she is a girl. Typically doing this is just trying to incite something from someone isn't it? I mean I don't personally harass players because of gender but I've seen it in many games and its always because the particular player feels the need to let everyone know they are a girl.
Do you do this to guys to? And what makes you decide that's what the girls are trying to incite when they go off telling people they're a girl.

Girls in real life dress super revealing. Does that mean they are asking to get rape? NO
Girls tell other people they are girls for whatever reason. Does that mean they are trying to incite some harassment from players? NO

kyoukitenshi

10-05-2012

This is actually a really good post. Upvoted for justice.

It's been posted before that Rioters want to fix this issue.

For an example, though, Zyra is not over-sexualized, in my opinion. She is a skinny young female with fairly revealing clothes, but her lines are all pretty overtly evil and her body is that of kind of a vine nymph. A nymph/dryad character is typically fairly scantily clad because they belong in nature. You usually don't put on armor to fight in nature, and it makes sense that as she is a squishy mage, she would pretty much just look like an evil nymph thing.

L2 Sentinel

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfishii View Post
Too-much-TEXT!

But I do wish there was females involved in League, kind of awkward when you notice the 3 female champs are played by guys almost every game
The last time I brought up gender issues, I was thwarted because I didn't have enough text (particularly that I ignored counterexamples). I didn't want to make the same mistake.