@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-07-2012
45 of 61 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Sadly, not even Lux can be an example of an un-overly-sexualized female champion anymore.

Look at what you guys did to the quintessentially classy female champion.

In both her original and Chinese art, she is in full armor and in a normal pose. Now she goes full on broken back boob-thrust, and even goes out of her way to show off as much of her legs/hips as possible by hiding the armor that used to cover them!
Beyond some minimal tweaks I might personally make, I'm in love with her splash art. Sorry. I think it's extremely dynamic and even playful as Lux should be. Some anatomy issues aside I'm very fond of it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dat Asian Gurl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Wow.

I'd argue that most of the shirtless skins for ANY of the male champions (excluding the obvious urgot, renek, etc.) are attractive. Hell, it's the reason why I buy them.

My only other argument about your post is that you generalize 'what women like to see'. Me? I like to see pretty pictures of my champions on the screen. As an artist, I can appreciate well-made art, and I don't mind any provocative poses as long as everything is anatomically correct. I cheer when I see the armored hunks like Jarvan, Rugged Garen, and the like as either my teammates or opponents because I love the artwork, and I like to see men as presents to unwrap, not 'look and you see everything'. I also appreciate the female champions that -I- find attractive, even if I don't swing that way.

These are my problems with your argument. Good points, but for your (and a few other ladies') opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Basically, anything Riot Taco Storm can cosplay as is something I'd really love to have more experiments like.
Mmmm, Riot Taco Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You have no idea.. NO IDEA.. how in love with the Unprepared Garen skin I am..

..or "Sexy Fireman Graves"
While I do LOVE the idea of an Unprepared Garen or a Sexy Fireman Graves, I do think there's a fine line between pleasing your woman playerbase and grossing out your male playerbase.

That said, I REALLY love when I can see the handsome face of the male champs. Also, I -do- like to see their bare chest, but anything pants-down is sort of a no-no. Call me conservative in my way of thinking about sexy men, but when I do think of one irl, I think of a man in a perfectly-sized suit that gives you a confident look (I would say that Garen's Rugged artwork shows this perfectly, as far as my tastes go).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyarii

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Sadly, not even Lux can be an example of an un-overly-sexualized female champion anymore.

Look at what you guys did to the quintessentially classy female champion.

In both her original and Chinese art, she is in full armor and in a normal pose. Now she goes full on broken back boob-thrust, and even goes out of her way to show off as much of her legs/hips as possible by hiding the armor that used to cover them!
This. >.<


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Beyond some minimal tweaks I might personally make, I'm in love with her splash art. Sorry. I think it's extremely dynamic and even playful as Lux should be. Some anatomy issues aside I'm very fond of it.
Yeah, anatomy is funky, but otherwise is almost powergirl-ish

an aside, powergirl's outfit is silly too


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psaion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Beyond some minimal tweaks I might personally make, I'm in love with her splash art. Sorry. I think it's extremely dynamic and even playful as Lux should be. Some anatomy issues aside I'm very fond of it.
I pretty much agree with this, and until it was pointed out to me that it is sexualized I hadn't noticed at all. I enjoy how much more expressive she is in that splash, and I can imagine her yelling out and throwing the singularity while making.that pose.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mattarias

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Eoin, one of our other senior artists, who designed Fiora, Varus, Draven, and a TON of skins, is designing a particular character that I think will very much please a lot of people in a lot of ways in the area of looks. Eoin brings a really unique style to his champions, and what you will be seeing from him in the future will make the angels cry.
(∆) Kayle and Morgana don't cry! :<


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

get dat birdman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Sadly, not even Lux can be an example of an un-overly-sexualized female champion anymore.

Look at what you guys did to the quintessentially classy female champion.

In both her original and Chinese art, she is in full armor and in a normal pose. Now she goes full on broken back boob-thrust, and even goes out of her way to show off as much of her legs/hips as possible by hiding the armor that used to cover them!
Uh, isn't that what she looks like when she casts her ultimate, though? You know, with her arms flung behind her while she's CHARGIN MAH LAZOR, and then throws her hands forward when she DOES finish the cast? If anything, the only thing TRULY wrong with the new Lux splash is where her head is in relation to her neck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Eleven

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMage View Post
I'm not going to wade into the comic context because not only do I think many comics are jokes, but it has nothing to do with whether the splash art is suitable to the champion.
I'm merely clarifying that splash art serves a purpose: to convey a character's style and personality. I used comics as an example because it's an established art style that is very parallel to LOL's splash art. We aren't looking at realistic imagery, we are looking at styalized cartoon characters. It's a simple parallel to use.

Quote:
I redefine nothing. I merely state that Fiora's pose is ludicrous and does not deserve to see the light of day. You're the one trying to say "But it belongs to this particular class of ludicrously exaggerated poses and that makes it okay," which is both a red herring and simply incorrect.
How is it a red herring to explain that using real life photos to explain why cartoon art is anatomically incorrect? Examples are a red herring now?

How is it "simply incorrect" that such dynamic and unrealistic poses are used in cartoon art constantly?

Are you denying this kind of artwork exists?


Quote:
A fencer should not be drawn in a position that embarrasses fencers everywhere with her apparent incompetence and awkwardness. It's really quite simple.
So should I hold a beef against every movie that shows Hollywood-Kung-Fu because it's completely ludicrous and unrepresentative and embarrassed real practitioners everywhere? Especially when done in that god awful charlies angels movie? Of course not because of this thing called context.

Do you have any idea how many movies and fan art show people holding a katana completely incorrectly? Hint: most of them.

We've now devolved from her pose is sexual to her pose is wrong for fencing ... which is stupid ... because complaining that a cartoon pose is wrong is ... well ... apparently a red herring in your opinion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aphet

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Beyond some minimal tweaks I might personally make, I'm in love with her splash art. Sorry. I think it's extremely dynamic and even playful as Lux should be. Some anatomy issues aside I'm very fond of it.
Ignoring Lux for a minute, IronStylus... can I please have an extremely attractive/flirty gay male champion? (And that doesn't mean a femboy, either!)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L2 Sentinel

Senior Member

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Asian Gurl View Post
Wow.

I'd argue that most of the shirtless skins for ANY of the male champions (excluding the obvious urgot, renek, etc.) are attractive. Hell, it's the reason why I buy them.

My only other argument about your post is that you generalize 'what women like to see'. Me? I like to see pretty pictures of my champions on the screen. As an artist, I can appreciate well-made art, and I don't mind any provocative poses as long as everything is anatomically correct. I cheer when I see the armored hunks like Jarvan, Rugged Garen, and the like as either my teammates or opponents because I love the artwork, and I like to see men as presents to unwrap, not 'look and you see everything'. I also appreciate the female champions that -I- find attractive, even if I don't swing that way.

These are my problems with your argument. Good points, but for your (and a few other ladies') opinion.
Generalizations are kind of unavoidable. If I were to be all inclusive, I'd have to say everyone is attractive. Still, the male champions are already pretty diverse. There is something for everyone. But for the sake of mass sexual appeal, I had to do some generalizing, yes.