@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeChomp View Post
So what happened with the new Lux splash art? She used to have a playful yet dignified stance, but now it looks very dumb-blonde-ish. Talk about a retcon-ing of character.
They made her splash as colorful and insane as the character is supposed to be.

100% improvement.

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post

100% improvement.
this

BabyFlesh YUMYUM

Senior Recruiter

10-07-2012

Quote:
I'm much more fond of everyone being sexualized, since this specific war on sexualization is en entirely feminist concept that runs completely counter to what feminists should actually be pushing for.

It's an effort to be "taken seriously", and I understand and appreciate that. However, there are instances in which this doesn't belong. Feminists raging against *** workers is one common instance in the real world. Feminists arguing against sexy archetypes in a game in which both sexes are sexualized is an offshoot of the concept.

If you want equality, pursue equality, not puritanism.

This was a good "win" for people offended by gender issues. Heels don't belong with most armor. I feel IronStylus defended it well in a single instance, and I personally feel they work with Eve, but they should never be on another female champ without good reason IMO. This was an appropriate and necessary discussion.

The current discussion doesn't meet this standards bar though.

On a serious quick note

If what your striving for really is equality then i suggest changing the name feminism(not sure if u consider urself a feminist) because what that suggest is that we can reach equality by addressing the inequalities of one gender which sounds kind of stupid to me :/ if you want equality strive for the equality of both genders and IMO should cause you to rename yourself a humanitarian a humanist a homosapianist something that would show true support for equality

and as for the issue of the game they have sexualized men garen is sexy gragas isint wearing a shirt at all female champions cover some of their torso alot of the male champions are big and muscular and Draven even has his own category of sexy

Hardbuttpounding

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
The problem is, this doesn't translate well thematically.
You look at sej and you're like ah leather bikini boar-riding amazon woman possibly from some kind of tropical or wild area (not freljord)
Therein lies the problem.
Once again, riding around in a bikini in a lush and warm forest doesn't seem 'Battle hardened Princess' to me.

Yes, it would have it's dangers like snakes, various man-eating plants, wild beasts etc., and it would put her in an Amazonian like place, but as I said, Barbarian tribes had this has a testament to their own strength. There is no food on trees in the tundra, there is no chance to survive the night without a fire in the tundra.

Masochist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Quote:

100% improvement.
People will see and feel what they want just to fit their position regardless of the truth, thus leading to a never ending cycle of bull****.

burntendz

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
It's the same on both sides. Pathetic.
Yup. All civility has been lost (well, for the most part. 95% of the posters here are arguing and complaining just because they can).

Rachel

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Shi En View Post
Once again, riding around in a bikini in a lush and warm forest doesn't seem 'Battle hardened Princess' to me.

Yes, it would have it's dangers like snakes, various man-eating plants, wild beasts etc., and it would put her in an Amazonian like place, but as I said, Barbarian tribes had this has a testament to their own strength. There is no food on trees in the tundra, there is no chance to survive the night without a fire in the tundra.
This is not the point though.
I'm simply trying to acknowledge Iron Stylus's view on the subject.
When you look at a character you should be able to understand what they're doing, where they're from, maybe some personality traits, etc (this is the aim of the character design team).
This doesn't always come across properly (and this is why IS has a problem with sej, I believe.)

need4sleep

10-07-2012

cheesy merican females talking about how girl should look like living in wilderness OKAAAAAAAY

Exman33

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

Why the hell would nurse akali wear a full nurse outfit, she's a ninja can't move around in that nonsense. Riot made battle bunny riven, BECAUSE so many people had been asking for it. And um... 5th gen Taric. Also -.- y would riot make a stripper male skin...OHWAIT Pentakill Olaf has no shirt, Trynd dont got a shirt, but if they made a "stripper male skin" -.- it wouldn't sell. You seem to be forgetting that this is a company and also you make it seem worse than it is.

A small portion of the champions are women, and a large amount of them aren't "strippers"

helltronX

10-07-2012

I'd say these skins are actually sexual: Caitlyn Base and Officer, Miss Fortune Splash, Battle Bunny Riven (which seems like a joke costume skin) and Nurse Akali (which is a typical girl Halloween costume). A lot of the other skins for the girl characters are showing plenty of skin but don't have a sexual connotation. The main problem is that there isn't much diversity in the way the girls look, they're all beautiful and young where the men are mostly good looking young men with a lot of exceptions. This ratio would be fixed if some of the unisex champions were just female like twitch, trundle, shaco, rammus, kog'maw etc. Doesn't really apply to the humanoid sexualization which people have a problem with but it'd help I feel.

I just don't like the argument that all the girls are sexualized because that's debatable even among feminists, and everyone seems to accept the assumption that follows: sexualizing women is dehumanizing which I don't think most women agree with just a vocal minority.