@Riot A serious discussion about gender. Please read

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chumbler

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite3789 View Post
You realize Riot has a female artist who makes some of the splash art, right? I mean, this fact isn't lost on you, is it?
Amazingly enough, women can make sexist things, too. The fact that it may have been made by a woman doesn't make a design or design trend less sexist. People act like that's somehow an argument ender, when it's really largely irrelevant.

Xengre

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
You don't think battle bunny Riven is a sexist skin and that somehow it being a community request absolves Riot of their responsibility in making it. I will be fair and acknowledge that Riot made a good effort in the skin's splash art to sell it as something other than Riven wearing a bunny girl costume, but you simply can't claim it isn't a sexist skin. That alone means your posts are not worth responding to.

And on top of that you have dreamed up some ridiculous "cosplay theme" to Akali. That is not Akali's theme. There is absolutely nothing to suggest it other than her nurse and if you really, really stretch her soccer skins. The rest are more or less recolors or have a reasonably serious theme. There is no "cosplay theme" to Akali. There's just a sexist design.
First skin Akali is a ninja theme (core theme, which is shared among 2 other energy based champs).
Second skin Akali is decked in yellow and the style of her outfit as well as her name allude to Scorpion from Mortal Combat and apparently Kill Bill.
Third skin is a nurse theme.
Crimson is Taki from the Soul Calibur game.
All-star soccer/sports/athlete theme.
Blood Moon Akali and Blood Moon Shen share a Blood Moon skin theme. The masks they are wearing are a reference to the masks worn at the Japanese Noh theatre.

They aren't just throwing this stuff out there to be sexist. I also said the Riven skin was rather pushing it but it is, in fact, not over the top. It perfectly fits in with the male audience without being insulting to females. Those females that find it insulting are in many cases being overly self-conscious and not really bothering to think it through. Bunny, cosplay, cute things, and many of these other topics/themes are very prominent among women of younger audiences across the globe. Not to mention the desire for a female to appear cute/sexually attractive (and all in one package in this case) is definitely not new. As long as it is not taken in a inappropriate direction then thinking of it as a stripper skin and other poor taste ideals is just showing you to have your mind in the gutter and the inability to think objectively while distancing yourself from bias.

chumbler

10-05-2012

^^^^ Unintentional sexism is still sexism. Also Akali isn't a "ninja-themed" champion. She is a ninja. Also I see you use the classic "You're the real sexist" defense. You will never understand the issue, largely because you don't want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite3789 View Post
It's not harassment. These characters aren't real and I've yet to meet one female who plays the game who freaks out over this fact.

It's only dudes who like to white-knight who lose their mind.
The harassment comment was referring to women who play this game and are harassed for saying they are women.

Bittlez

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz4 View Post
You honestly are over-thinking this way too much OP. If this bothers you that much you should simply move on to a different game. This game is, for the most part, a recreational activity. It makes no literal sense that you'd burden yourself over an activity designed for pleasure. I mean, I would write this kind of message to a politician...not a game company. Let's be practical here- as I write a decent amount- this post would take me at least two hours to write. Please, there are so many troubles in the world where you shouldn't be wasting your time over something as petty as this. (Even if someone spends hours upon hours on this game...in the course of the world this game is very minor.)
You are not thinking on this enough

You have a large enough population of women to consider giving them eye-candy. It's not about mistreatment of women nor is it about stopping production of sexy women splash arts/champs. It's about giving actual fun champions that are also eye-candy to other categories of gamers other then nerdy 12 to 26 yr olds.

I'm 25 and a man. I love miss fortune and played her alot.. until the splash art. Riot changed my badass into a s l.. u.. t

I love the jungle but unfortunately my Jungle Diana was put into midlane. I was promised someone made for the jungle.... and was female... and didn't look like a who.. re... But sadly no, riot fails to fix jungle therefor damage dealing jungler is put into a lane.

Where is my badass battleready junglers!? Where is my cool armor-clad chiks in badass platemail with huge shoulders going "C'mon.. I dare you to call me cute."..

Also, why can't I have an amazingly sexy guy that isn't ezreal?(Sorry ladies, I think varus is ugly as heck. Just like the others..) I don't want to be a squishy little punk. I think TF's new art is a very very solid step in the right direction, I think he's mysterious and charming. But again, squishy and lol worthy.

Give me a male Fiora! Give me some tight leather, athletic build, two daggers and a stealth-dash.. Make sure I got medium length hair and a super thin beard along my chinstrap. Give me a slick smirk in a seductive splash art pose.. Make me irresistible!

Give me a male Sona! Gimme a awesome aura ability on my W, a health regen passive, a sleek and sexy guitar with a skinny build and shirtless. Make sure i have abs but nothing too extreme. Make me a god of charm with a grin to match! Make me sona's brother that isn't blind, but damn fine rockstar with tight leather pants. Put me in the support role

Give me a male Akali! Shen is covered, f that. Give me a stripper ninja guy with spiked but slicked backwards hairstyle, no mask. Give him a super tight fit leather outfit and some a hook attached to a chain(Real hook+chain, not anchor like nautilus). Make sure i'm like 5'5 though, kinda short. Give me a build but not muscular. Make sure my W launches out and hooks someone, then drags them to me! Make me the dream guy of every girl who wants a ninja! (Take notes from Inuyasha imho)

(This is a post in agreement with the OP. Coming from a bisexual male)

Commie Rogue

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
Amazingly enough, women can make sexist things, too. The fact that it may have been made by a woman doesn't make a design or design trend less sexist. People act like that's somehow an argument ender, when it's really largely irrelevant.
There isn't an argument to begin with. Like I said earlier the logical fallacy is that sexy=sexist.

***-positive feminism. Look it up.

tempnameA461

10-05-2012

Just looked at Pentakill Olaf.
Cowboy hat, huge muscles, and a huge beard and a drummer?
Dafuq.. Riot, fire your logic department.

Apex Angel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2012

Everytime someone starts complaining that all the female characters in the game are overly sexualized, this is the immediate thought that comes to mind:

Stop trying to impose your opinionated boundaries of sexual attractiveness to the masses and claim that they are facts and law. They are not. Attractiveness is an opinion based on the viewer.

Sincarnation

10-05-2012

Probably gonna get downvoted to high hell, but idgaf atm

I'm gonna be honest I hate people like you OP. It is a god damn game played by many men in their spare time, and a majority of champs you mentioned are primarily sexualized in optional skins. No one is forcing you to use or view the skins. Teammate using the skin? if it bothers you that much protest by leaving. No one should care about the sexualization of women in a virtual game, and if you do stfu go become an activist IRL do something useful with your life.
I personally won't buy anything in a game for sexual reasons, but if someone else wants to more power to them. If riot wants to make money off of that idiot let them, but stop making these stupid threads. We get it Lol women are sexy. I don't mind/care and neither should you.

prepping for incoming insults about me being a sexist pig something to that effect

odbj

10-05-2012

The genders are different and always will be.

Males see a pretty lady and they want to hump her. That's how it is. If we didn't have that instinct as a species we'd have never survived to be the super animals we are today.

There's no reason to be politically correct or white-knight about it. It isn't wrong. It's natural.

Miria

10-05-2012

Wow this thread
so looking sexy automatically = s l ....ut and wh.........o...re??

ok im done