Surrendering in a World Championship Match

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorpoiseAlert View Post
This bothered me too. I've won games where I had all three inhibitors down for half an hour and just turtled for the win. It doesn't happen much, but it can happen.
While this is possible it is much more difficult to accomplish vs a very polished high skill level team that is far less likely to make a mistake and generally will not lose in a fight, especially so if they are flat out owning your team under base turrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbluereason View Post
Why are people comparing martial arts to LoL in this way? If you don't tap-out in MMA you either blackout (scary as hell if not particularly deadly) or you risk serious injury to a joint or limb.

The only thing that can get hurt in a LoL match is feelings/pride.
I would say morale would be a large concern for their later matches more so then pride, etc. In regards to the martial arts topic it was a reference to all other competitive scenes (including martial arts) that were being used as a comparison in regards to being honorable or not (etc.) to surrender.

Cry1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

you know, when people originally said GG it was because it was an RTS where the game continued even if you lost all structures and they stopped the game from pointlessly going on.

you people are ****ing ******* that say HURRNNUGH WELL THEY COULD COMEBACK
no comebacks only happen in even game and in games with ****ty players. the world championship match that contained the surrender did not contain either of those two elements.

HolyChalice

10-04-2012

Well war is a sport

so the French know that well

Freudia

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBullistix View Post
What other competition or REAL sport do you surrender in? We just saw the Olympics and even when you were getting destroyed you don't surrender, you play until it's over.
I can go ahead and tell you people GG and punch out in Starcraft 2 tournaments way before all of their buildings are destroyed and stuff like that. Starcraft players understand that there's no point to needlessly drag out a lost match; why don't you?

Junigenmukyoku

10-04-2012

CLG's surrender was the worst though. 3 Turrets and inhibs, but surrender anyways cause we lost a team-fight.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xengre View Post
Try claiming that when you are participating in the martial arts, or even more so Judo scene. I'm sure you would rather break that arm or leg rather then tap out and continue training to become even better. Also consider team morale in such situations, and this one.
I feel like my joke went over everyone's head =/

On the subject of surrendering in world championships, was the team's decision, I'm not gonna criticize it.

Superbone1

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GowNationJLR View Post
There is absolutely no correlation in E-sports and Physical sports when it comes to surrendering.

If a team feels it has been defeated in E-sports it is perfectly acceptable to issue a surrender. It is done in Starcraft and other DotA's across the board because dragging these games out proves wasteful for all parties involved. Imagine if in Starcraft they waited until every single building in their base was destroyed and every probe\scv\drone is tracked down to stop making buildings. It would take forever! Imagine if every team in League\DotA\HoN dragged out a game all the way until the nexus was destroyed by merely delaying defeat by turtling in base. This results in a significant amount of time wasted for no reason. Not only does it help tournament organizers to stay on their schedule with surrendering but it helps the players from having to exert themselves needlessly in a game that they've already admitted defeat in their hearts. If the team feels they have lost, they have the right to surrender the game to the rightful winner. There IS a difference between having a couple of deaths and calling "gg". But when you've been outplayed back to your nexus, the other team has more XP, more items, more map control, and more gold in their pocket you can honestly admit defeat to the other team because they have outplayed you in every aspect of the game you're playing.
Actually, sometimes you kneel the ball in football when you know you're going to lose. Pro sports have their "surrenders". In basketball it's when you start fouling everyone and their mother to keep the clock from running.

JiYung

BowMaster930

2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiYung View Post
Probably the most inspirational video in the entire world. Good job, mate.