Riot's approach to Canon

First Riot Post
123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vacus

10-04-2012

I'll be honest, I think this is fundamentally stupid. I hate the comic book approach to canon because it's so incredibly lazy. This approach to canon is just saying "we're too lazy to keep track of our previous stories and want to just write whatever we feel like without regard to continuity".

(For what it's worth, I think it's stupid in comic books too. I only give them a tiny bit of a pass because every 10 years or so, they've managed to screw it up enough that they need to reboot anyway.)

Smurfsauce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

I seriously do not think this is the greatest idea. The comic book approach is fine, but at the same time, a lot of comic books are different from each other even if it's the same protagonist or even characters in the series which are involved.

What I'm saying is, there are things in comic books that are ALWAYS canon or USUALLY canon, but altered. The things that're drastically different are usually said to be part of a different canon or universe. It's just like when you have two completely different writers; they want to do their own thing and express the characters in their own way. But because of this, you can't really say that the most recent iteration is canon because it has its OWN canon due to this.

Although, there is an exception. But that exception is replaced by the fact that you seem to just be doing away with the old lore completely. You don't seem to be promoting that this current lore is different from the past, but rather it's "updated". And by doing this you create drastic changes which actually makes the lore extremely unappealing in the end. You're saying we decide, but I don't see it.

Zerglinator

10-04-2012

So does this mean the lore is dead?

Sure sounds like it.

Larcent

10-04-2012

I would respond by pointing out that comic book sales have dropped 25 percent since the 1990s as this editorial system of frequent retcons and relaunches has taken hold.

Yeah, I know correlation does not imply causation and all. But it also comes at odds to Riot creative's goals of wanting to create champions players find cool or want to identify with or feel connected to in some fashion. It's hard to feel that connection if at any time, those strings could be cut. It's actually one of the reasons I don't collect comic books anymore. Why bother getting engaged if another writer in a year is just going to take it and undo everything?

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

So this is exactly like another one of Kitae's projects, Mass Effect 3, where they came up with multiple endings and they all sucked.

Yeah, I went there.

I honestly don't trust Riot's promises on there being "new, exciting" ways to do lore in the future. The JoJ, while churlish and campy at worst, at least fleshed out the universe. That's gone. Also, it's been gone for about a year and Riot hasn't managed to do anything interesting except rewrite a couple bios.

I know what it's like to manage a broad group of intertwined characters and personalities because I've done it. It wouldn't take me nearly as long as Riot's taken to come up with decent lore along with universe-defining elements and depth-creating stories, especially if I was being paid fulltime to do it.

The comic-book thing is an excuse for lazy writing IMO.

Razekal

10-04-2012

Honestly I like how Riot is trying to improve the old bios.

Look at the initial bios for Soraka and WW. Raka "cursed" WW, granting him all that shapeshifted power at the expense of losing her divinity. Soraka screwed up big time and loses a chunk of her power, and only made WW stronger and better at what he does. Compared to now, WW has a valid reason for wanting Soraka dead, and a valid reason for becoming what he is. Also, it helps put Singed in the limelight as the league's head Alchemist; before I always wondered why WW didn't just chuck poison vial at people or something being another chemist.

It reminds me of Mr. Freeze, from Batman. Before he was just a one-note ineffectual villain with nothing more than a silly ice gimmick. Then comes the Batman Animated Series, which gives him this deep backstory where his wife has this incurable disease; and he suddenly becomes a more likeable character.

Razekal

10-04-2012

Honestly I like how Riot is trying to improve the old bios.

Look at the initial bios for Soraka and WW. Raka "cursed" WW, granting him all that shapeshifted power at the expense of losing her divinity. Soraka screwed up big time and loses a chunk of her power, and only made WW stronger and better at what he does. Compared to now, WW has a valid reason for wanting Soraka dead, and a valid reason for becoming what he is. Also, it helps put Singed in the limelight as the league's head Alchemist; before I always wondered why WW didn't just chuck poison vial at people or something being another chemist.

It reminds me of Mr. Freeze, from Batman. Before he was just a one-note ineffectual villain with nothing more than a silly ice gimmick. Then comes the Batman Animated Series, which gives him this deep backstory where his wife has this incurable disease; and he suddenly becomes a more likeable character.

DaRatmastah

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseiden View Post
Cool, then I am all for saying the Megling Genocide is now officially canon.

Never Forget
Justice! Justice for the Meglings!

Larcent

10-04-2012

Actually, I sounded a little overly harsh up there. Let me flesh out a little more (yes, I'm retconning my comments! The irony!)

I'm in favor of building out the world. It's also very obvious that the "world" of Runeterra didn't really have a plan or a map of where it was going for quite some time. There were stories here and there, but nothing unified. No plan. So if this world-building requires some changes to make things work or to make characters have stronger ties to it, that's a good thing. But there has to be a point where you say "No, this is where we're going. Changes to the character will take place as he or she moves forward, not from constant fiddling about where he or she has been."

Take your cues from the new refund program. You have X tokens to go back on what you've done. Use them wisely.

Subalternate01

10-04-2012

Overall Thank you for asking this question and allowing us to give answers. i think overall Riot is doing some great things but I do miss the lore!

My question is when are you going to give us enough cannon to help organize the community to influence it through actual game play?

I feel it would be awesome if lore team had some influence over a monthly/quarterly champ rotation to help determine champion story lines through normal or ranked game play. I.E. Ashe vs Sej story line could be determined by win/loss ratio vs. champion popularity. Ashe has a higher win ratio but Sej is more popular let the story reflect that Sej has had some success beating Ashe but at grave costs to her army. Or something like that. you write it, we shape/influence it.

Sometimes it feels like the focus is on competitive and the stories of our cyber athletes is killing the overall fantasy aspects that draw more casual players to this game. Just My 2 cents

123456 ... 8