Role selection in queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Friskydingos

10-04-2012

Should Riot incorporate the option to select what roles you want to be when queuing up for a match? I personally think it would make things faster and easier than they currently are. It could also greatly reduce the amount of trolling and griefing done by a player as a result of not getting to play in the position they wanted to (Like two people going for jungle / top / mid / ADC).

So you're not forcing any particular meta, and example could be Top Lane [ ] Middle [ ] Bottom Lane: Damage [ ] Bottom Lane: Support / Other [ ] Jungle [ ].

Any thoughts or suggestions on why this should or shouldn't be done?

Invariel

10-04-2012

Here's why Riot Games should not do such a thing: forcing people into roles before the game begins rules out interesting meta game choices, rules out people trying new things, and prevents some amount of fun.

The reason this system works for World of Warcraft is that the content is designed for specific team composition, so knowing in advance that two people want to play healer, two want to DPS and one wants to tank is actually beneficial to a group attacking specific content.

Locking people into choices before the game begins, before being matched up with people, causes the same sort of grief that insta-locking a champion does -- it reduces choice, and causes people to get frustrated when, during the game, someone starts with, "heu u n00b im a betr mid then u l2p and uninstall u ***" because the person who indicated, before champions were chosen, that he or she was going to play a particular lane had a poor matchup or fed or just stopped trying.

As things are, Champion Select encourages teamwork, cooperation, and, most importantly, communication. If you aren't willing to communicate, possibly because you are so pro that everyone else should do what you tell them, then you've already started working on your team's loss, regardless of your ELO or skill.

Friskydingos

10-04-2012

You make some good points. I merely thought of this while playing this morning and having people troll the same for several queue pops in a row, and I had had enough of that. I obviously didn't put enough thought into it as I should have.