Champs for newbies on each role?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaalika

10-04-2012

What would be the easiest champs to pick up and play each role without a lot of fuss just to get a taste of what it's like?

Please remember it's not just about what champ you like best, but what you think would be easy for someone new to the game to play as of the current meta.

Compiled list (Champs with at least two nominations for the most part):

1. Solo top: Gangplank (3150), Malphite (1350), Jax (1350), Kayle (450)
  2. Jungler: Nunu (450), Warwick (1350), Yi (450)
  3. Mid: Morgana (1350), Lux (3150), Ryze (450), Katarina (3150)
  4. Carry: Graves (6300), Tristana (bonus FREE), Ashe (450)
  5. Support: Taric (1350), Soraka (450), Alistar (bonus FREE)

Also, for trying out different playstyles within the game:
  1. Tank: Malphite, Alistar
  2. Assassin: Katarina, Evelynn (1350), Talon (6300) or Fizz (6300)
  3. Fighter: Jax, Kayle
  4. Mage: Morgana, Lux, Ryze
  5. Ranged: Tristana, Ashe

Notes:

For the more expensive champs (3150+ ip) obviously people need to use their own judgment for whether to just get the champ or wait for a free week or a sale to go for a test drive. Personally I'll be buying the cheapest one first and trying the more expensive ones on a free week.

Ryze and Kayle only have one nomination each however the reasons made sense to me.

Jungling happens after level 10-20 so that you can have better masteries and maybe some runes. Before that it's unadvised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Keep in mind that not every player plays the same. So while champion X might be easier for the majority of players to pick up, that doesn't mean everyone will take to them easily. Some players simply mesh with a particular champion, even if they have a really bizarre play style or steep learning curve.

Use the free week to test champions (feel free to use recommendations as a guide, but don't limit yourself by them).
Responses have great reasons for testing out these particular champs so check out the thread for more detail. A lot of people have been very helpful in stating WHY they think these are great for newbies. The above advice is good to keep in mind though, especially if you totally fall in love with a champ and must buy it now. Quite often that works better than any amount of research, because you simply think they're so awesome it makes the game fun for you.

Thanks everyone! <3

Juidic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Newbies
Solo top - Gankplank
Jungler - Yi
Mid - Morgana
Carry - Graves
Support - Soraka

Although you can look at guides and get many peoples opinions it comes down to your choice. If you want a range of different champs to try out buy the cheapest champions there are because they are all quite easy to start with

Nobuharu

10-04-2012

Solo top: Malphite
Jungler: Warwick
Mid: Lux
Carry: Trisitana
Support: Taric

These aren't optimal, but they do have the toolkits, and they are all easy to use.

Magus Crow

10-04-2012

Solo top: Riven: The only thing she really lacks for a top lane champ is sustain which is easy enough for her to buy via Wriggle's or Bloodthirster. Otherwise the only thing that might be odd is learning to weave auto attacks in between skills.
Jungle: Warwick / Nunu: Both of these are pretty much training wheels for the jungle but neither is by any means a weak choice.
Mid: Morgana: Easy farm with Soil and a game changing ultimate. She's crazy strong.
AD Carry: Ashe / Tristana / Graves
Support: Taric

Kaalika

10-04-2012

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

Andarel

10-04-2012

Solo top
- Kayle (450): She's a strong champion with great poke. Once you learn her limits and kit, which doesn't take that long, she can hold her own against most laners and force them out of lane with E. Also, her ult is amazing and learning to use it teaches you a lot about the game.
- Malphite (1350): Decent laner, great initiator, and a forgiving champion over all. Even if he does badly in lane, as long as you build tanky stuff you can still ult into a team and win - especially at low levels where players tend to bunch together a lot.
- Jax (1350): The ultimate duelist. Teaches you a lot about managing skills, mana, and passive stacks - and for new players, they'll try to duel him a lot. And that always ends well. A pubstomper, but he works well competitively too.

Solo Mid
- Morgana (1350): One of the teamfighting gods of midlane, along with Orianna, Zyra, and Karthus. She AFK farms all day, and while new players will have trouble killing people with her and probably won't roam well, she's got a fundamentally strong kit and if you can land that Q will burst people down easily. Again, learning how to use E will teach you a lot about teamfighting and team value.
- Ryze (450): The machine gun mage. Max Q, pick up a blue buff and a pile of mana, farm up, kill everything, farm some more. His weak early game makes it somewhat hard for people to pick him up without knowing his limits, but once you reach his dominant midgame he's not particularly hard to play, and is a strong and fun character. Without blue buff he's weaker, but he's not as reliant on it as a lot of champions are.

AD Carry
- Ashe (450): Farms up with her passive gold advantage, and has one of the best initiates in the game. She's decently easy to play but has enormous potential, so being good with her and the utility she brings is never a bad thing. You won't get the burst of Graves or the mobility of Tristana, but her ult is amazing and natural permaslow is never a bad thing.
- Tristana (Free): One of the strongest lategame carries, with great burst in lane. A lot trickier to play than Ashe because her damage falls off hard midgame and she's all about taking risks and repositioning early game for max damage, but she's a good champ to try out.
- Graves (6300): He's an exception to the cost scaling because he's strong and incredibly easy to play. Naturally powerful with good utility, Graves does exactly what you'd think - dashes around to shoot people, and drops a pile of AoE damage. If you're looking for a safe, solid pick who can kill people early look no further.

Support
- Soraka (450): The healer, and one of the best supports in the game. Infinite mana and health for your lane along with a pile of armor wins every war of attrition, but she needs a good AD carry. If you think your AD is terrible, might not want to pick 'raka. If not, though, she's really strong and will win a lot of lanes.
- Alistar (Free): Aggressively, he has the power to pulverize the entire enemy team for a stun and headbutt high-priority targets out of the safety of their team with an ult that gives him massive amounts of tankiness. Defensively, he can peel anyone, comes with a heal, and has an ult that lets him tank for his carry. Learn to play him, learn how the W~Q combo works, and watch him carry games.
- Taric (1350): A heal for both partners at once. A click-to-target stun that leads to initiates at will. An aura that gives a ton of free armor or increases burst massively. An ult that deals damage as well as gives a pile of AD and AP for his entire team. Run around and buff your team without doing much, then disable targets in teamfights and keep people alive. Naturally tanky, and a very high-utility support that stays powerful all game.

Jungle
- Nunu (450): Teamfight-winning ult, natural tankiness, double smite, and a huge buff for your carry. What more could you want?
- Amumu (1350): Rember what I said about Nunu's ult? Amumu is blue-reliant, but he does heavy damage, gets incredibly tanky, has two stuns and a skillshot gap-closer, and can disable an entire team with his ult. He's a strong jungler that came back into style a few months ago.
- Warwick (1350): He's training wheels for the jungle, but he has his uses. If the enemy team doesn't realize that they should by QSS his ult is incredibly powerful and is usually a free kill. Tons of sustain, free damage built into his kit that scales on enemy scaling, and great passives in Blood Scent and his own dueling passive.

Durzaka

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andarel View Post
Solo top
- Kayle (450): She's a strong champion with great poke. Once you learn her limits and kit, which doesn't take that long, she can hold her own against most laners and force them out of lane with E. Also, her ult is amazing and learning to use it teaches you a lot about the game.
- Malphite (1350): Decent laner, great initiator, and a forgiving champion over all. Even if he does badly in lane, as long as you build tanky stuff you can still ult into a team and win - especially at low levels where players tend to bunch together a lot.
- Jax (1350): The ultimate duelist. Teaches you a lot about managing skills, mana, and passive stacks - and for new players, they'll try to duel him a lot. And that always ends well. A pubstomper, but he works well competitively too.

Solo Mid
- Morgana (1350): One of the teamfighting gods of midlane, along with Orianna, Zyra, and Karthus. She AFK farms all day, and while new players will have trouble killing people with her and probably won't roam well, she's got a fundamentally strong kit and if you can land that Q will burst people down easily. Again, learning how to use E will teach you a lot about teamfighting and team value.
- Ryze (450): The machine gun mage. Max Q, pick up a blue buff and a pile of mana, farm up, kill everything, farm some more. His weak early game makes it somewhat hard for people to pick him up without knowing his limits, but once you reach his dominant midgame he's not particularly hard to play, and is a strong and fun character. Without blue buff he's weaker, but he's not as reliant on it as a lot of champions are.

AD Carry
- Ashe (450): Farms up with her passive gold advantage, and has one of the best initiates in the game. She's decently easy to play but has enormous potential, so being good with her and the utility she brings is never a bad thing. You won't get the burst of Graves or the mobility of Tristana, but her ult is amazing and natural permaslow is never a bad thing.
- Tristana (Free): One of the strongest lategame carries, with great burst in lane. A lot trickier to play than Ashe because her damage falls off hard midgame and she's all about taking risks and repositioning early game for max damage, but she's a good champ to try out.
- Graves (6300): He's an exception to the cost scaling because he's strong and incredibly easy to play. Naturally powerful with good utility, Graves does exactly what you'd think - dashes around to shoot people, and drops a pile of AoE damage. If you're looking for a safe, solid pick who can kill people early look no further.

Support
- Soraka (450): The healer, and one of the best supports in the game. Infinite mana and health for your lane along with a pile of armor wins every war of attrition, but she needs a good AD carry. If you think your AD is terrible, might not want to pick 'raka. If not, though, she's really strong and will win a lot of lanes.
- Alistar (Free): Aggressively, he has the power to pulverize the entire enemy team for a stun and headbutt high-priority targets out of the safety of their team with an ult that gives him massive amounts of tankiness. Defensively, he can peel anyone, comes with a heal, and has an ult that lets him tank for his carry. Learn to play him, learn how the W~Q combo works, and watch him carry games.
- Taric (1350): A heal for both partners at once. A click-to-target stun that leads to initiates at will. An aura that gives a ton of free armor or increases burst massively. An ult that deals damage as well as gives a pile of AD and AP for his entire team. Run around and buff your team without doing much, then disable targets in teamfights and keep people alive. Naturally tanky, and a very high-utility support that stays powerful all game.

Jungle
- Nunu (450): Teamfight-winning ult, natural tankiness, double smite, and a huge buff for your carry. What more could you want?
- Amumu (1350): Rember what I said about Nunu's ult? Amumu is blue-reliant, but he does heavy damage, gets incredibly tanky, has two stuns and a skillshot gap-closer, and can disable an entire team with his ult. He's a strong jungler that came back into style a few months ago.
- Warwick (1350): He's training wheels for the jungle, but he has his uses. If the enemy team doesn't realize that they should by QSS his ult is incredibly powerful and is usually a free kill. Tons of sustain, free damage built into his kit that scales on enemy scaling, and great passives in Blood Scent and his own dueling passive.
^^ i like this right here.

Although everyone suggesting Graves for a newb is crazy. No newb should spend 6300 IP to get another ADC unless they are sure they are gonna play that role forever. Better to stick to the cheap champions for this thread.

Magus Crow

10-04-2012

Graves may be expensive but the question here was who was good for newbies to learn not if the champ suggested was cost effiecient towards this end or not. Besides that Graves is currently on sale and he does tend to pop up in free week fairly often.

Zayden Myth

10-04-2012

Top Lane - Solo for the current Meta

- Gangplank: He was the first champion I bought, and my favorite all around. His farming ability coupled with his healing ability is amazing for top lane. Last hitting minions with parrrrrley is amazing way of making $$ as you get a bonus per kill. When you get stunned or need a quick heal, press W and it will be k.

Fighter IP:3150 RP:975

- Darius: Great for top lane solo, very strong and can take a beating if built right. He has an amazing Ult that can be used over and over if used correctly. His Axe swing attack is very powerful farm tool and can easily push enemy champions off the creeps or out of lane.

Fighter IP:6300 RP:975

- Jax: Jax was my first melee champion and I fell in love with him almost right away. He has an amazing jump attack + stun combo and it works very well for CCing the enemy support or stoping a retreat. His jump can also be used to escape enemies by jumping to an ally!!!!! His farm is also awesome as he has a stacking buff that makes him attack faster the more he attacks. All around amazing melee champion if used right.

Melee DPS IP:1350 RP:585

Middle Lane - Solo also with the current Meta

- Morgana: Hands down my favorite mid lane champion. Her ability to farm minions is amazing, she can read a book and still get an awesome CS. Once she is powered up, she can burst down champions like cake, unless they stack MR. She is a support, but she is very very strong as her own mid laner, so dont let the support tag dissuade you.

Support IP:1350 RP:585

- Katarina: Another mid-lane awesome sauce champion. After level 6 she can clear minion waves with ease and harass the other champion to a point of utter frustration. Her ultimate is unparalleled in team fights, Ive seen her drop easy quadras and pentas with her R attack. Whenever I see im up against a Katarina, I know im in for some trouble because of her shunpo ( I main Sora which has no escape)

Melee DPS - IP:3150 - RP:975

AD Carry - Bottom Lane W/ Support for current Meta.

- Miss Fortune: I just love miss fortune, and she loves me in return :P. She is my favorite ranged champion because of her natural speed. Her strut ability allows you to gain awesome movement speed while out of combat (Still need boots for in combat speed). It allows me to not only farm easier but I can avoid the enemy harassment much faster against champions who skill shot (Ez..etc). Also her Ultimate is a huge team fight changer. She can just blast off directly into all 5 champions in a team fight which hurts like a bit*h

Ranged DPS - IP:4800 RP:975

- Graves: Hes super easy to play right out of the gate. He has this awesome dash ability that allows you to get very easy kills during starting lane. He also has AOE damage which makes him a real powerhouse contender. He also has the ability to lay down a smoke screen which is awesome during team fights, not only for its slowing effects but also because it reduces the enemy teams vision.

Ranged DPS - IP:6300 RP:975

Support
- Sona: Sona is my girl, my best support champion and my number 1 pick. Her ability to support her team is unparalleled, because she can not only heal, but make her team faster and take less dmg. She also is an amazing fighter and poker. Her Q attack auto targets champions in range, and will target 2 enemy champions in 1 attack if there close. She also has the awesome ability to debuff the enemy team as swell. Her power cord ability allows you to use a special attack every 3 spells, Q = Double Damage Attack! W = Dmg Reduce E = Speed Reduce - Especially when someone is trying to flee :P. Sona is all around a bad ass and is the ultimate incarnation of support

Support - IP:3150 RP:975 - Arcade Sona Skin - MUST HAVE - RP:975

Thats it for my support, sorry, while there are other supports available, in my mind nothing compares to my Sona. :P

Jungle
- No idea, Ive heard Skarner is amazing though.

If you wanna play sometime, Sona and I are ready

Cheers -

Zayden Wolfsbane

AMisterBear

10-04-2012

I personally like Twisted Fate or Annie mid