The new Warwick lore doesn't work because he's NOT relatable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RadiantWings

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Quote:
Characters need to be human and have flaws. Characters who are presented as basically rocking in everything are caricatures, rather than fictitious people. We like people for the things we perceive as cool about them, but we fall in love with them for their flaws. Flaws fundamentally make characters relatable.

The problem here is that flaws don't make characters relatable by themselves. Being relatable/flawed also doesn't mean that the character is automatically more interesting. In Warwick's case, being a caricature was his entire shtick, it made him interesting. he was the Big Bad wolf who got away with everything and we were polarized into liking him or hating him. Some of us liked the fact that he satisfied our urges for some badass evil character who got away with causing massive devastation and by the same token, others hated him for doing so and for bumping off Urf. He worked as a big bad caricature. Actually, now that I think about it, he's STILL a caricature except he's now one of those side-villains who ends up causing their own destruction and is thoroughly unlikeable.

Now he's just lame. As stated before, he becomes a one-dimensional cartoon villain who gets beaten up by purple smurfette. It really doesn't help that his bounty hunter lore makes him sound more like a creepy kidnapper than a badass Boba Fett type. He then goes on to screw himself up (oh yeah! He's impatient and stupidly impulsive when it comes to a mysterious potion that isn't even finished! SO relatable!)

Ultimately, this leaves us with the people who liked him before thinking he's a wimp, and the people who hated him are now laughing at him. Warwick's quest to retain his humanity holds no real significance to us on an emotional level because he's a horrible person with no redeeming qualities. We ALL know that he's never going to get Soraka's heart (lol) and will remain forever remain unredeemed for his idiocy. Even if he went as far as to go to Viktor, it either wouldn't stick, or he'd become even more lame for having to get help (and canonically turning into a robot).

There are two solutions to this dilemma. Either Warwick gets some good and relatable qualities or his lore gets set up in a way in which he still reigns as a villain who ends up winning mostly rather than get trashed by flaws for the sake of having flaws.

An example scenario is where Warwick actually has a conscience and he thought that the potion would cure him of that. His quest to obtain Soraka's heart (lol) would then be split between whether he can actually bring himself to do it and become a monster without need of the potion or he simply lets go of his grievances and lives with his guilt. This then lends itself into the question of whether or not Soraka would let go of her hatred and forgive him in order to help him. As of now there's literally no reason for her to help him and letting him go feral and eventually be put down is actually in her best interests.

AbominableToast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Bumping because I can relate to this post more so than I can New WW

Lady Howl

10-04-2012

If we only had more people post with your credentials, it might influence. I have refrained from making my own because i am just a junior member trying to get to level 30 still. So i doubt my opinion actually matters. But i hate to see WW my favorite character get so nerfed in his lore. It was like people got together and were like WW is a boss...lets nerf him, not hist skills or playability, but his lore, which might have the same effect.

I play with a group of about 9 friends who are all competitive, but casual and they all ask me about lore of charters, and when i told them my favorite WW had his lore changed, they laughed them-self's silly.

RadiantWings

10-04-2012

I wonder if I should write a version of events that would come across cleanly...

Anyways, a good starting point to fixing up Warwick's lore to make him a badass from the very start. The league of legends is just full of champions with no magically altered abilities.

Quoted from Kitae's post

Quote:
Check out Warwick issue #1 for an updated origin story!

A good example of a chance to current cannon is Warwick's recent update:

• Previous canon - he was an alchemist who was cursed by Soraka who turned him into a werewolf.
  • Current canon - he's a bounty hunter who chose to become a werewolf so he'd be strong enough to bring down incredibly powerful targets like Soraka.

NO! Bad! Bad Riot! You must take gameplay into account. Having the one constantly in a support position who gets chewed up regularly as an example of an extremely powerful target when describing Warwick is BAD. Even if she's AP, there are plenty who can fight her if their junglers are competent enough to punish Soraka for pushing her lane. You could be literally be God but if your skillset doesn't do jack, you won't be taken seriously.

And turning himself into a werewolf just so he can fight these targets leaves a very poor taste in my mouth. So what, does he take everything down by brute force? I thought he was supposed to be a cunning and skillful hunter who can compensate for lack of pure brawn. Plenty of other champions do so. Look at Vayne and her judgement. All she's got is training and she can bypass league wards without magic! (even if it does come off a little mary sueish)

Vuther

10-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantWings View Post
Even if she's AP, she's still susceptible to enemy AP burst like no other
Not really, she just silences them as soon as they're in range to cast their stuff.