What's up with all the Jerks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SirSteed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinas View Post
Maybe I should just stop playing.
the simple fact that you asked yourself if you should stop playing means that you probably should, people can be mean, thats just life, but there are also truly good people out there, and if you give it a chance without the defeatist "well if everyones not nice to me so i'll just go play something else" attitude then you'll eventually find those people

are you still having fun with the game? this should answer everything, everyone else, their attitudes towards you is inconsequential

and do yourself a favor, stop going around saying you have a v*****, it should be obvious what kind of crowd you attract when you do that

play for yourself, and not for what other people think of you

Kwongstar

10-06-2012

There is a button that reports people it helps when people are being d****
Reported for swearing

Grimes

10-06-2012

A few things.

#1) Most of the worst and most immature players are literally children or young teens, and they're naturally going to be immature. When you take into account that most of the really aggressive and least compassionate people you encounter in online games are children, it takes the edge off since... Well, they're kids.

#2) Because we can't see each other in an online game, we don't see body language, we don't fully conceptualize other players as people. We don't know anything about them other than what they've done in the game, and some people who are short-sighted are going judge you as a person based on your play in the game. If you met them in person, you'd probably have absolutely no problem getting along with them.

#3) You're going to encounter people who don't really have the capacity for compassion, and if the game doesn't go their way, they're going to feel slighted because in their mind anything you do which doesn't line-up with their desires is counted as aggressive towards them. They're called sociopaths, and you can't change them.

Short of literally screening each and every person who plays the game, you're going to simply come across this kind of thing. You can't control it, you can only report and move on. It's never going to get better. Ever.

Salinas

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKalisz View Post
and do yourself a favor, stop going around saying you have a v*****, it should be obvious what kind of crowd you attract when you do that

play for yourself, and not for what other people think of you
You seem to be offended or even angry because of my admittance to being a woman.

I feel like you're implying that I won't be taken seriously simply because of my gender. I did not disclose the fact that I am a female just because I wanted sympathy. Given the context in which that information was given, I should think that it was obvious that I was expecting some flack. Perhaps I was being too generous in giving the benefit of the doubt that the people who post replies to my thread would be mature enough not to bring my ****** into the conversation?

Furthermore, I feel like you are discrediting my ability to discern motives. Sure, there are people (male and female alike), who will reply with something less than genuine. Some of these replies may be examples of that, but others are the honest opinions of players.

The fact is, female gamers are something of a minority. Of course, that varies from game to game, but that is the general conception. Why should we, as female gamers, keep silent for the fear of not being taken seriously? It's not uncommon upon the discovery that we happen to have ovaries for people implicate to either that we are lying or unattractive, simply because we are girls who play games. On the other hand, there are those people who instantly attempt to become our best in-game friends, ask for pics or our e-mail addresses. . . Just like the insults of those LoL Rage-aholics, it's all to be taken with a grain of salt.

In all honesty, if there is someone who can't take me seriously simply based on what reproductive organs I have, they are the one with the problem.

The attitudes of players is a game-global issue, and I expect that players will have opinions on it whether they are male, female, androgenous, transsexual or whatever. Personally, gender is not an issue.

Your statement is actually pretty contradictory. You say that I should not disclose my identity as a woman because of what people will think, but then you say that I shouldn't care what people think. . . I care about what people think about the issue, I do not care about the personal opinions about me. In saying this, I may seem to be contradicting myself as well, but my post was not meant to be "boo hoo so-and-so thinks I'm fat/stupid/ugly/ etc", it is about how the negative attitudes of players affect the game.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply to my post so far. You've shown me that there are still some great people out there <3