I never really liked Riven as a character until I saw this.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prince Kassad

10-03-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f51Vt...feature=relmfu

I can't get this song or it's message out of my head. I really liked the way that it puts focus on the fact that Riven was betrayed and exiled... I guess I never realized how interesting her backstory really is. Unfortunately, I still think Riven suffers from seeming a little "watered-down." If they had turned up the tone of her character about 10%, like how it is in this song, I think I would connect with the champion a lot more.

Not to delve to deep into the "OMG RIOT FEMALES STEREOTYPES" conversation, but I do kinda wish that Riot had not tried to make her seem quite as young and pretty. If they aged her 8-10 years and gave her a more 'desperate' voice and appearance I think she could have truly been an awesome character. I especially like the Riven artwork that is shown in the above video while the music plays; it is obviously just a cartoon but it makes Riven look so compelling. It makes her a little bit uglier but I don't actually think that hurts the character...

What do you guys think? Do you think Riven's lore and theme are great as they are, or do you think that she could have used a little more development? I know that a character's personality has to be very compelling for me to really enjoy playing them, and I had previously always felt that Riven falls kinda short of my standards.

EDIT: This skin apparently just came out on the PBE, and its timing is pretty much perfect because I think it is definitely the best Riven skin so far and it is coming out just as I am starting to like Riven. <3

Attachment 536473

Vuther

10-03-2012

Dammit now I have to listen to that 5 times in a row again before I sleep.

I personally find her current implementation doing those aspects well... but with her popularity of how she's a pretty animesque lady voiced by Cristina Vee (there are of course other reasons and everyone has differing opinions, but those are still some pretty strong reasons that will work for people who never read anything), especially in fan art, I so hope any expansion on her character remains steadfast on those aspects.

Waafu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
I can't get this song or it's message out of my head. I really liked the way that it puts focus on the fact that Riven was betrayed and exiled... I guess I never realized how interesting her backstory really is. Unfortunately, I still think Riven suffers from seeming a little "watered-down." If they had turned up the tone of her character about 10%, like how it is in this song, I think I would connect with the champion a lot more.
I don't see why a mellow tune full of smug gameplay references and an arbitrary shout-out to Final Fantasy delivered a stronger message to you about her character than her lore, judgment, and design all put together. Don't get me wrong, the song is quite nice, but it doesn't say anything about Riven that we didn't already know. Quite honestly, Riven has a lot more depth than most champions, especially recent releases.

Quote:
Not to delve to deep into the "OMG RIOT FEMALES STEREOTYPES" conversation, but I do kinda wish that Riot had not tried to make her seem quite as young and pretty. If they aged her 8-10 years and gave her a more 'desperate' voice and appearance I think she could have truly been an awesome character. I especially like the Riven artwork that is shown in the above video while the music plays; it is obviously just a cartoon but it makes Riven look so compelling. It makes her a little bit uglier but I don't actually think that hurts the character...
I actually see your point with the age and appearance thing. I definitely don't mind her being young and pretty, but a bit more muscle on her frame would have made sense, what with her swinging an enormous greatsword around one-handed. That said, there is a certain innocence and naivete to her design...and interestingly, unlike most characters who fall under those labels, it only serves to make her more intimidating in her cutthroat loyalty to the social Darwinist philosophy of Noxus in its purest, most brutal form. I think the "desperation" you mention is reflected in her voice acting rather than her appearance.
Quote:
What do you guys think? Do you think Riven's lore and theme are great as they are, or do you think that she could have used a little more development? I know that a character's personality has to be very compelling for me to really enjoy playing them, and I have always felt that Riven falls kinda short of my standards.
"Great" is subjective, but Riven has a cohesive theme, and I'm not sure why you're complaining about her over, say, Syndra or Zyra or any of the other recent champs that don't even have judgements to flesh them out. To me, it seems like you were deliberately trying to dislike her until you enjoyed a tribute to her already-established characterization.

Vuther

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waafu View Post
I don't see why a mellow tune full of smug gameplay references and a random shout-out to an entirely different game delivered a stronger message to you about her character than her lore, judgment, and design all put together. Don't get me wrong, the song is quite nice, but it doesn't say anything about Riven that we didn't already know. Quite honestly, Riven has a lot more depth than most champions, especially recent releases.
Well, we know people learn differently, so I wouldn't rule out a song igniting a sort of spark for something someone didn't care for before.

Dextros is Bad

10-04-2012

QUOTING

"I actually see your point with the age and appearance thing. I definitely don't mind her being young and pretty, but a bit more muscle on her frame would have made sense, what with her swinging an enormous greatsword around one-handed. That said, there is a certain innocence and naivete to her design...and interestingly, unlike most characters who fall under those labels, it only serves to make her more intimidating in her cutthroat loyalty to the social Darwinist philosophy of Noxus in its purest, most brutal form. I think the "desperation" you mention is reflected in her voice acting rather than her appearance."

TO the guy who wrote this u obviously arent a true riven fan the mages of noxus made her that special big ass glove she wears so she could wield that balde she isnt support to be muscular or why would she need to glove to wield her GA -_- honestly riven is a godess and u ppl should respect her more not top lane can beat her and untill this game dies no top lane will -_- if u say olaf ill kill u reckless swings only make me laugh.

Waafu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelatrons Suport View Post
TO the guy who wrote this u obviously arent a true riven fan the mages of noxus made her that special big ass glove she wears so she could wield that balde she isnt support to be muscular or why would she need to glove to wield her GA -_- honestly riven is a godess and u ppl should respect her more not top lane can beat her and untill this game dies no top lane will -_- if u say olaf ill kill u reckless swings only make me laugh.
Wrong. In Issue 29 of the JoJ, she explicitly states that the glove has no magical attributes.
Quote:
"“The gauntlet does nothing to increase my strength by any magical means—strength must come from within. It is a remnant of the armor I have possessed since my time in the service of Noxus. Like my blade, it is a reminder of where I came from.”
Riven is my second favorite character in the entire game, and I have plenty of respect for her. I'm fine with the way she is. I just think that a bit more muscle would have set her apart from the other female champs and made wielding the huge-ass sword look slightly more realistic.

Vuther

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waafu View Post
Riven is my second favorite character in the entire game, and I have plenty of respect for her. I'm fine with the way she is. I just think that a bit more muscle would have set her apart from the other female champs and made wielding the huge-ass sword look slightly more realistic.
Well, I would personally generally agree... but with Riven being the most animesque champion in the game next to Ezreal, the inexplicitly-explained strength paired with a small form actually makes sense from an observer's perspective.

Prince Kassad

10-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuther View Post
Well, we know people learn differently, so I wouldn't rule out a song igniting a sort of spark for something someone didn't care for before.
Exactly. I am a pretty musical person, and I have a soft spot for really "cinematic" songs. Listening to this has actually made me want to play Riven. I used to view her as a little too emo and having muddled motivations, but this song makes her seem so intensely tragic, a loyal veteran who was betrayed by her own nation when she had done nothing but fight for them and believe in their causes. Her trust has been broken and her journey is far from over.

I know all of that was readily apparent from the minute her judgement came out, but I never really saw it that way before. The song made me finally think Riven is cool. I really think her age is a big part of it. She just looks so young in her splash art that I couldn't help but think of her more as a "runaway fighting prodigy" and not so much an "exiled veteran." I think the latter is more compelling and that's how I choose to think of her now.

Wickian

10-06-2012

That is a really terrible song. The music itself is fine I guess, but that guy cannot sing and the lyrics are bad. Unless he's intentionally trying to sound sarcastic and slightly like a troll.

LastTestament

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickian View Post
That is a really terrible song. The music itself is fine I guess, but that guy cannot sing and the lyrics are bad. Unless he's intentionally trying to sound sarcastic and slightly like a troll.

pretty much and i have a huge distaste for songs that over reference player made game terms
same beef with Karthus Press R