Updates to Legal Jibber Jabber

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aetherion1234567

10-03-2012

I just wanted to say thank you for being such an honest and straightforward company. It has always been a pleasure to play your game, and will continue to be for many years to come.

Geosynchron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Somehow I always enjoy reading about this legal stuff the most. Maybe I should become a lawyer... screw engineering!

SpikeRosered

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosynchron View Post
Somehow I always enjoy reading about this legal stuff the most. Maybe I should become a lawyer... screw engineering!
If you're enjoying it, you haven't read enough of it.

Dreampod

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megnificent View Post
What exactly are 3rd party cookies and tracking pixels, if I may ask? ._.;
Cookies and tracking pixels are methods of tracking where people (players in this case) visit on the internet, when they visit, and what they do while they are there depending on how much data the website they are on chooses to collect. The '3rd party' portion means that Riot is partnering with other sites and having them share their data with Riot rather than just tracking on Riot owned sites. My (completely unfounded) guess would be that they probably are partnering with the various streaming sites (twitch, own3d) to understand how LoL players watch streaming games and probably are paying one or more ad-networks (Facebook, Adwords, Doubleclick) for tracking information in order to determine what other interests LoL players have for negotiating with sponsors for their tournaments and commercials for the weekly tournies next season.

Faust Taichou

10-03-2012

While I can understand many summoner's initial fear/distaste/etc. with the Arbitration clause I have to say I agree with it. The reason is when you look at the civil law system it is INSANELY easy for anyone with a shred of common sense to blow a simple misunderstanding out of proportion.

First there are the legal bills. Riot, while one of if not the largest e-sports company out right now, still has to make a profit. Skins and RP sales do that for them. This is how they can offer a free game. The skins cost money and there are enough summoners who believe in the quality of the skins/themes etc. that they will invest their money into this game. Riot is trying to reduce cost because even if they win a lawsuit, they have to pay the legal fees or settle out of court.

Second, Arbitration does not mean there is no (I use the term loosely here) due process for a complaint. This just means you aren't in the State or Federal court system. They can bring in a mediator or arbiter to review the complaint you have against riot and then give a 3rd party opinion that can be as binding as jury decision. Why because the arbitration can be performed under contract and Contract Laws are not taken lightly so these hold a good deal of power, even over Riot.

What this means is Riot is cutting their cost but still allowing all grievances to be made known and brought forth to the company.

Lastly, this is a free service. If you really have such an issue over a free service and are trying to sue Riot... a little more faith in humanity will be lost.

Thanks for the update Lomar!
~Faust

Psychodelic

10-03-2012

i like the head's up riot. but like most ToS and EULA's and all that jazz... i didn't read it. and i didn't read the update. appreciate the wide spread "Here It Is" though since it is about our privacy! which i obviously dont care about... im going to be hacked and living in a box by the time im 30 i bet...

Traithan

10-03-2012

Yet another company tries to make it so they cannot have a class action suit against them. You know, can't have people easily joining a lawsuit if you wronged an entire group of people. That might be, you know, what you'd deserve. I'm going to laugh when the first class action lawsuit happens and this individual arbitration gets thrown out.

I'm not talking about Riot here, I doubt there would really be a case for a class action against them anyway. Its just every major company is doing it now and I can't wait to see it blow up in their faces...then everyone has to change their 'legal jiber jaber' again.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Nooo, why do you jibber-jabber me? I don't like jibber-jabber so why you put more jibber-jabber on my jibber-jabber so I have to jibber-jabber while jibber-jabbering? D:

WakeskaterX

10-03-2012

In very small font:

"...and by clicking agree we now own your soul."

Dreampod

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust Taichou View Post
While I can understand many summoner's initial fear/distaste/etc. with the Arbitration clause I have to say I agree with it. The reason is when you look at the civil law system it is INSANELY easy for anyone with a shred of common sense to blow a simple misunderstanding out of proportion.

First there are the legal bills. Riot, while one of if not the largest e-sports company out right now, still has to make a profit. Skins and RP sales do that for them. This is how they can offer a free game. The skins cost money and there are enough summoners who believe in the quality of the skins/themes etc. that they will invest their money into this game. Riot is trying to reduce cost because even if they win a lawsuit, they have to pay the legal fees or settle out of court.

Second, Arbitration does not mean there is no (I use the term loosely here) due process for a complaint. This just means you aren't in the State or Federal court system. They can bring in a mediator or arbiter to review the complaint you have against riot and then give a 3rd party opinion that can be as binding as jury decision. Why because the arbitration can be performed under contract and Contract Laws are not taken lightly so these hold a good deal of power, even over Riot.

What this means is Riot is cutting their cost but still allowing all grievances to be made known and brought forth to the company.

Lastly, this is a free service. If you really have such an issue over a free service and are trying to sue Riot... a little more faith in humanity will be lost.

Thanks for the update Lomar!
~Faust
While you have some valid points, you generally are missing why arbitration clauses are considered highly anti-consumer. The primary purpose of individual arbitration is to prevent class-action suits from being filed. For any single individual (even the guys who have spent thousands on the game) the legal costs for arbitration (assuming they already live in California and have no travel costs) are far beyond anything that they could recover with a successful suit. Class-action suits are ideal for situations where the individual damages are low but many people have a loss or injury from the company because they can spread the legal costs across the entire group.

Further any suits with Riot almost certainly are going to involve people who paid so your arguments about the game being free are irrelevant from a moral point of view (they were already irrelevant from a legal one).