Updates to Legal Jibber Jabber

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
Pixel Tracking is an ethically questionable form of detecting whether users have visited a page despite disallowing or deleting cookies or if they have opened an email on an third-party service. It basically is an invisible, tiny image that is named uniquely to each IP/browser that accesses it and allows the site to gather information about whether you have accessed it before across any of their other sites.

Tracking Pixel
Cookies
Whoa. I want to hear more from Riot about this.

Does this allow them to go "oh, you went to Reddit, then you opened a new tab and browsed to Amazon.com, then you opened a new tab and went to na.leagueoflegends.com?"

HikaruIchijo

10-03-2012

T l ; d r

BrygmoSNyan

10-03-2012

For the 0.1% who care, can you elaborate more on the tracking pixels and such stuff? They sound pretty vague.

Swagnetic Force

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailygoat View Post
the laaaaawwwwww
i am the law!

Jaenosenpai

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokkyt View Post
Can you elaborate on the usage of the tracking pixels/cookies, particularly, will the information obtained by these be used for internal usage or will the information be provided to advertisement services?

Will the use of privacy add-ons such as Ghostery, NoScript, Adblock, etc, which mitigate or prevent tracking methods hinder the use of the website?

I would quite like to see this fine gentleman answered, Riot Pls

XIIReaper

10-03-2012

"In the event of a dispute, you and Riot agree to binding, individual arbitration of your claims (except for in certain, limited circumstances)."

I've heard about this. A lot of tech companies are adding this to their Terms of Service agreements. They basically make it so that you can't sue them with a class action lawsuit if you find anything wrong, you can only sue them individually, and only through arbitration.

Unfortunately, the average person can't afford to hire lawyers when something small happens that's Riot's fault (ie: LoL breaks your computer). It'd be a big enough problem that it'd piss you off (cuz your computer broke), but small enough that you're not gonna spend thousands in legal fees and lawyer fees to get several hundred dollars for your computer. Before, most people would sign onto a class-action lawsuit and sue collectively, lowering the legal fees or taking them away completely. With this single phrase in the ToS, no more class-action lawsuits.

I believe it was Sony that tried it first and it held up in court. Now everybody's doing it

needlewall

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeTrap View Post
Whoa. I want to hear more from Riot about this.

Does this allow them to go "oh, you went to Reddit, then you opened a new tab and browsed to Amazon.com, then you opened a new tab and went to na.leagueoflegends.com?"
cant say fully yes but pretty much. basicly they know everything you do big brother watching.

Reign274

10-03-2012

Good guy riot summarizes changes to terms and conditions instead of blindly making us scroll down and press "I agree"

Jaenosenpai

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei Huan View Post
Please answer this question i know i may not be the only one that has this problem where when i play league of legends my game crashes and gives me the blue screen thing and as far as i know the problem only occurs when i play League of Legends is it my computer that doesnt like League or is my computer not good enough for it because it is a fairly new computer 2011 hp pavilion dv6 idk if this patch has anything to do with that IF IT DOESN"T SORRY FOR THE OFF TOPIC but if it does someone please tell me :c
My brother had a similiar problem with his laptop I can ask him what fixed it if you are still curious add me in the client.

NakedGranny

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
Hey Summoners,

We wanted to give you an early heads-up that we’ll be making a few changes to those massive documents of legal jibber-jabber that you agree to when you play League of Legends – the Privacy Policy, Terms of Use (TOU) and End User License Agreement (EULA). The changes will be taking effect in the next patch (scheduled for October 9th), and today we’ll outline some of the key changes you can expect to see. It’s not a lot, but if you’re interested, read on (and of course, be sure to familiarize yourself with all the changes when the complete docs are posted):

Privacy Policy

• We’re now TRUSTe certified, which is the highest standard of privacy protection out there. You’ll see their seal on our website in the near future. You can read all about what that means at [url2="http://www.truste.com/products-and-services/consumer_privacy/privacy-programs-requirements#WPS"]TRUSTe’s website[/url2].
  • We want to understand where new League of Legends players are coming from, so we’re gonna make use of more 3rd party cookies as well as tracking pixels, and the updated policy reflects this.
  • Riot collects data/information associated with making a payment (rather than simply passing it along to third parties). We don’t do anything with that info except charge your card when you purchase RP (thanks!). We’ve added more clear language regarding refer-a-friend, newsletters, how to change your account info, and other services Riot provides.

TOU and EULA

• We’re the only ones who have access to personally identifiable information you provide directly to Riot.
  • Like in the privacy policy update, we collect and store payment data.
  • In the event of a dispute, you and Riot agree to binding, individual [url2="http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Binding+arbitration"]arbitration[/url2] of your claims (except for in certain, limited circumstances).

I’ll check out the comments section and try to answer any burning questions.
long story short: you're tracking us more and giving us fewer legal rights.

so long, Riot. wish i could say it's been a blast.