Updates to Legal Jibber Jabber

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheCowness

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
We want to understand where new League of Legends players are coming from, so we’re gonna make use of more 3rd party cookies as well as tracking pixels, and the updated policy reflects this.
Heh. "Gonna." Brolaf is the best lawyer.

Phoof

10-03-2012

Is the selection of an arbiter at the sole discretion of Riot?

dafedidi

10-03-2012

Wait, what Riot will do with our personal data ? Take 0.1$ from our account without permission ? Have our codes or nasty things ?

I'm sorry but I need to know more about this.

Kurø

10-03-2012

Does this mean we will actually be getting better security for changing emails/passwords/etc?

Kinda stupid that if you get hacked theres no real way to prove it without IP tracking.

Megnificent

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
Cookies and tracking pixels are methods of tracking where people (players in this case) visit on the internet, when they visit, and what they do while they are there depending on how much data the website they are on chooses to collect. The '3rd party' portion means that Riot is partnering with other sites and having them share their data with Riot rather than just tracking on Riot owned sites. My (completely unfounded) guess would be that they probably are partnering with the various streaming sites (twitch, own3d) to understand how LoL players watch streaming games and probably are paying one or more ad-networks (Facebook, Adwords, Doubleclick) for tracking information in order to determine what other interests LoL players have for negotiating with sponsors for their tournaments and commercials for the weekly tournies next season.
That's what I was hoping, but I wasn't entirely sure of what it meant entirely. Thank you so much for answering my question! It definitely cleared up my confusion. :3

Dreampod

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoof View Post
Is the selection of an arbiter at the sole discretion of Riot?

According to California law:

Selection of arbitrator: In contract arbitration, the arbitrator may be designated in the agreement, or by a procedure provided therein. If there is no such specification, the parties may apply to the court for an appointment. The arbitrator need not be a lawyer. [Ca Civ Pro § 1281.6] In judicial arbitration, the selection procedure is governed by statute and Judicial Council Rule. The arbitrator must be a member of the state bar or a retired judge or retired court commissioner if appointed by the court. [Ca Civ Pro § 1141.18; Ca Rules of Court Rule 1604(b)]

So until we see the actual text of the new agreement there is no way of knowing. However typically even if the contract specifies how an arbitrator is selected you can appeal to the courts to appoint a different one if there is reason to believe that they will show bias.

Dreampod

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafedidi View Post
Wait, what Riot will do with our personal data ? Take 0.1$ from our account without permission ? Have our codes or nasty things ?

I'm sorry but I need to know more about this.
Nothing new. They are agreeing to a higher standard for preserving and requiring consent before sharing personal information than they previously had committed to. The link Lomar provided in his original post describes what TRUSTe certification means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurř View Post
Does this mean we will actually be getting better security for changing emails/passwords/etc?

Kinda stupid that if you get hacked theres no real way to prove it without IP tracking.
No. This has nothing to do with changing email or passwords. If and when they get around to changing those it is unlikely that the TOS or EULA will need to change as that is a technical alteration that shouldn't change how they preserve or disclose your personal info. Really, the only way it might need to change is if they were to introduce a third party service like Google's two-step verification.

TheCowness

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream417 View Post
I enjoy how the Legal Counsel has Brolaf as an Icon.
I should be right about this, but Lomar voiced Brolaf, and that's him in the Brolaf video.

Granistas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream417 View Post
I enjoy how the Legal Counsel has Brolaf as an Icon.

Points, good sir.

I also enjoy how you call it jibber jabber, because you know less than .01% of the community reads that drab.
There's a video on youtube of a fellow at riot dressed up as brolaf.

Edit: shen'd

Tenrriris

10-03-2012

Sure thing, we may get mad at you sometimes, but we trust you