AP Sion Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stinyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2009

Intro:

I'd like to start this guide off by saying that this is the way I play Sion, it's not perfect but I do pretty well with this build. Sion is versatile, his enrage (gains permanent health per kill) plus his stun/shield combo make him a great (if not the best) candidate for a tank carry.

Overall Tips:

Don't get lazy! Killing neutrals is hugely important. On average, in a sixty minute game, I probably kill dragon about six times; that's 990 gold for all your teammates AND experience AND another 25g per kill if you get the final blow on him. Helping your carries get lizard buff is extremely helpful; never underestimate neutrals.

Knowing when to retreat is an invaluable talent. If you're pushing a tower and even just one or two enemies are MIA, get back; killing a turret is not worth dying. This goes hand in hand with watching your minimap; being aware of enemy champions' locations is extremely important.

During team fights, if your team starts to lose, and you see that one enemy who is low on health; don't suicide, unless he's godlike or legendary, leave it and retreat. Not being greedy will help you immensely, plus your teammates won't be pissed at you ha.

Who to Lane With:

Any carry really, I've found Twitch, Teemo, Ashe, and Cho'gath, to be very effective, Cryptic Gaze allows them to rain down damage. I always try to pair with a ranged; two melee usually isn't very effective.

Abilities: (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ad_Abomination)

Cryptic Gaze (Active): Blasts a single enemy, dealing magic damage and stunning for 2 seconds.

Death's Caress (Active): Sion surrounds himself with a shield which absorbs damage. If the shield is not destroyed in 10 seconds it will explode dealing magic damage to surrounding enemies.

Enrage (Active): Increase Sion's damage and he gains permanent health per kill.

Cannibalism (Active): Grants Sion lifesteal and 45% attack speed for 20 seconds, additionally Sion's attacks heal surrounding allies for a percent of damage dealt.

Feel No Pain (Passive): Each time Sion is attacked, he has a chance to ignore a portion of the damage.

Runes:

AP > Cooldown Reduction > Armor/Magic Resist > Movement Speed > Health

Summoner Spells:

The way I play Sion, he has three roles.

Early Game: Ganker

Mid Game/Late Game: Tank/Support

That is why I go with Flash and Teleport.

Flash because early game, it's great for hiding in the bushes and flashing right next to the enemy, stunning and blowing up your shield. And for late game, flashing forward, stunning an enemy so your team can catch up and kill them, is invaluable. And of course, escaping, flashing through a wall, or into the dragon's den is quite frustrating for the opponents.

Teleport for convenience (less time running back from the nexus means more gold/xp) and because his shield does so much damage, Teleport is great for defending turrets, or for popping your shield on, porting in next to a large group of minions, exploding it and reaping the rewards (permanent health/xp/gold).

Skill Order:

Enrage (E) [Never forget to turn this on, it's easy to do after you die]
Death's Caress (W)
Death's Caress (W)
Cryptic Gaze (Q)
Cryptic Gaze (Q)
Cannibalism (R)
Then use this priority: Death's Caress (W) > Cryptic Gaze (Q) > Enrage (E) > Cannibalism (R)

Items:

Start: Sapphire Crystal and two Health Pots

Trip 1: Sheen (Going back around level six means you now have Sheen and Cannibalism; thus you can solo Golum. With the 30% increase time on neutral buffs from masteries, this is pinnacle).

Trip 2: Boots (If the other team is mostly physical, get Ninja Tabi, if the other team is mostly magical, get Mercury Treads, if they are well balanced, go for Berserker's or Swiftness, mostly just preference).

Trip 3: Mejai's Soulstealer (I may go back one time before this to buy the Blasting Wand, but sometimes I just save up for the whole thing).

Trip 4: Either get Banshee's Veil (because casters are tearing you apart) or finish Lich's Bane (This is huge, great for minions/neutrals/turrets/champions. PROCcing its passive with Death's Caress, then with Cryptic Gaze, then when you explode Death's Caress results in ridiculous damage).

Ending Items: Whichever item you didn't get at trip four. Then Void Staff, Zhonya's Ring, and/or another defensive item, like Frozen Mallet, Aegis of the Legion, or Guardian Angel.

Strategy:

Early Game: Harassing the enemies you're laning against is very easy, prep your shield, stun, blow it up. The other team will get wise, but you'll find a lot of the time they get lazy. Ganking is very easy early game. Flashing in from the bushes, and the stun/shield combo, along with an ally doing damage is great.

Mid/Late Game: You are the one who sets up the ganks, and sees them through, via stunning fleeing enemies. Another valuable role that Sion plays at this point in the game is crippling the other enemy carries during team fights. No matter what my team is doing, I focus fire on the carry and keep them from killing our team, with CD reductions, you can keep them stunned a considerable amount of time.

Cumulous

11-18-2009

no sheen/lichbane till late game?

IMHO, sheen is extremely good early-mid game on sion. I usually rush sheen on my first trip back (lvl 6) and use my ult to pick up golem buff and run around and gank until golem has run out and pick up chalice.

Stinyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2009

I really like the sound of that. I'm gonna try that out. The only foreseeable problem I can find with that is in big fights, I tend to not be doing much physical striking; I'm always slowed and never in melee range, but I'm gonna try it and tell ya what I think.

crimsonlyre

11-19-2009

Ya, AP Sion is one of my favorite characters. My usual order of items is:
Blue Sapphire+ 2 health pots
Blue Sapphire>Sheen
Boots (Sorc or Swiftness, usually the latter)
Mejai's Soulstealer
Zhonya's Ring
Sheen>Lich Bane
Void Staff

Also, for me, I get enrage first, then alternate between the stun.
You'll probably notice I have NO mana regen items here
death's caress is a very expensive skill, and easy to overuse. The stun does not increase in manacost at all, and is amazing for killing anyone. Stun>proc sheen>attack w/ enrage up is usually enough to cut their hp in half early on. Use the stun very modestly, and only if the situation permits. You are mostly just autoattacking and getting last hits with enrage to earn more life, and it does nice damage.

Death's Caress is last on my list because it is a purely defensive skill/ later game creep massacre and should be used as such. It simply exhausts far too much mana early on, mana that could be used to get a stun off and therefore a kill. If your lane is getting pummeled, and you can't get any opportunity in, then throw a point, but nothing more.

iDeck

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonlyre View Post
Ya, AP Sion is one of my favorite characters. My usual order of items is:
Blue Sapphire>Sheen
Mejai's Soulstealer
Zhonya's Ring
Sheen>Lich Bane
Void Staff

Also, for me, I get enrage first, then alternate between the stun.
You'll probably notice I have NO mana regen items here
death's caress is a very expensive skill, and easy to overuse. The stun does not increase in manacost at all, and is amazing for killing anyone. Stun>proc sheen>attack w/ enrage up is usually enough to cut their hp in half early on. Use the stun very modestly, and only if the situation permits. You are mostly just autoattacking and getting last hits with enrage to earn more life, and it does nice damage.

Death's Caress is last on my list because it is a purely defensive skill
/ later game creep massacre and should be used as such. It simply exhausts far too much mana early on, mana that could be used to get a stun off and therefore a kill. If your lane is getting pummeled, and you can't get any opportunity in, then throw a point, but nothing more.
If you're going AP Sion Death's Caress is like 40% of your damage. You swing to slow without the haste items to compensate not having it for ganks. DC > Sheen Attack > Stun > Sheen Attack > DC to blow it up and you will have them well below half. DC is also like 80 mana it's nothing. Your stun is the mana hog.

Zaouron

11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonlyre

Blue Sapphire>Sheen
Mejai's Soulstealer
Zhonya's Ring
Sheen>Lich Bane
Void Staff
I typically get lich bane before zhonya's. Mainly because it's a huge boost to your burst damage since it increases both your shield/stun damage as well as the damage of your melee swing after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post

If you're going AP Sion Death's Caress is like 40% of your damage. You swing to slow without the haste items to compensate not having it for ganks. DC > Sheen Attack > Stun > Sheen Attack > DC to blow it up and you will have them well below half. DC is also like 80 mana it's nothing. Your stun is the mana hog.

This is how I play him as well. It's especially fun to hide in the brush with boots of mobility. Activate DC -> run out and smack the opposing player (this is with sheen/lich bane) -> blow shield and hit them again -> stun and hit one more time.

Most heroes are dead or close to it at this point. The purpose for me blowing the shield before stunning is so that the shield cooldown ticks down while the enemy is stunned. that way i can pop shield again while they're still within melee range so i can get another hit off on them with the sheen/LB proc.

As for summoner skills, i find exhaust to be extremely useful. In conjunction with mobility boots + stun you become a monster of a chaser. You can throw in flash to make yourself inescapable but i typically end up taking fortify or heal depending on what my teammates take (i pug about 95% of my games).