Did this guide help you understand the rules of A.R.A.M?

Yes 1,409 93.56%
No 97 6.44%
Voters: 1506. You may not vote on this poll

[Guide] The Unofficial A.R.A.M Game Mode

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanitizer

08-23-2010

This guide is made for people to understand the RULES in A.R.A.M.

What is A.R.A.M?

The All Random, All Mid (A.R.A.M) is a game mode that was created by players in the Practice Mode. It’s a very interesting game mode since it requires patience and luck to win. Since the game is mostly random, chances of obtaining an amazing team is based on luck. The gameplay consists of tower dives, ganks, and kills/deaths/assists which gives every player the opportunity to succeed. So, let’s get onto how to play A.R.A.M.

How to play A.R.A.M?

Basically as the A.R.A.M states, every player is given a random champion to play mid. This means that the Top and Bottom Lanes are not accessible in this gameplay.

[Click the first image for the boundaries of the Game]

Additionally, any form of jungle, going into the forest, going into the brush, or recalling back to base is considered CHEATING. There are some discrepancies as to how far you can go near the brush in mid, but it should be right before the brush starts:

[Click the second image for the boundaries of the brush]

Since there is no recalling back to the base when low on health, many players suicide to prevent gold gains from the other team, like getting killed by the turret. This is permitted. Also, buying is only permitted when you die. The first time you buy is the beginning of the game; so if you are a good player, you might gain more than 5k gold before your second purchase.

What are Snowball Items?

Snowball items are specific items that increase the item’s ability whenever the player gets a kill or an assist. Such items are Mejai Soulstealer, Leviathan, and Sword of the Occult. These items are known to be the “Snowball Sister Items” since they gain “stacks.” In the general A.R.A.M games, snowball items are NOT ALLOWED since it can make the game one-sided for the entire fight.

Is the Summoner Spell: Fortify allowed?

Generally, the rules state that the Summoner Spell Fortify is NOT ALLOWED since it disrupts the offensive teams pushing capabilities. The more general approach for Summoner Spells is Heal and Clarity since the two spells are very useful in survivability as well as mana management. Of course, if you are playing a champion you know that is has more use with other Summoner Spells, any other spells are ALLOWED.

Is the Item: Guardian Angel allowed?

Many people have different preferences on Guardian Angel (GA). Some players hate the idea of Guardian Angel while others like it. Since Banshee's Veil is allowed in A.R.A.M, GA is allowed in most A.R.A.M games. Chances are, players that have GA can either be killed quickly after it is used or be used for offensive pushes. Either way, GA is a good item to have for all players.

How will this benefit me in real LoL games?

There are times when you play an LoL normal/ranked game when your favorite champion is taken or you need to play a tank character because everyone else is a carry or DPS. A.R.A.M is a great way to randomize different champions and give the player a great insight in playing any character. Versatility is what makes a great player. Try playing A.R.A.M and mix it up with champions you don't like to play or even don't know how to play. In my opinion, it's a great way to learn the LoL champions.

Game Modes of A.R.A.M (Up to the host, but general rules)

General A.R.A.M Rules

1. All Random Pick
2. All Middle lane ONLY
3. No Buying until dead
4. No recalling/Bluepill
5. No Brush/Jungle/Forest
6. No Snowball Items
7. Guardian Angel Allowed
8. No Summoner Spell: Fortify

Professional A.R.A.M Rules

1. No Random Pick/ Random Pick (Up to the Host)
2. All Middle lane ONLY
3. No Buying until dead
4. No recalling/Bluepill
5. No Brush/Jungle/Forest
6. No Snowball Items Allowed
8. Summoner Spell: Fortify Allowed

Hardcore A.R.A.M Rules

1. No Random Pick
2. All Middle lane ONLY
3. No Buying until dead
4. No recalling/Bluepill
5. Brush/Jungle/Forest Allowed (No farming Top or Bottom Lanes)
6. Snowball Items Allowed
8. Summoner Spell: Fortify Allowed

Hope this guide helped a little for those players that enjoy playing A.R.A.M.

Enrayged

08-23-2010

Interesting...

Unfortunately, knowing the LoL community, the only way to actually play this mode competitively would be if Riot made it an actual mode.

The Pyrrho

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
Interesting...

Unfortunately, knowing the LoL community, the only way to actually play this mode competitively would be if Riot made it an actual mode.
I agree, but it would be fun to play if everyone was committed

Kenshar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2010

Love it

dagni

08-23-2010

i have a buddy who only plays this game mode... personally i hate it, as it takes very little skill and more luck.

Kingske

08-23-2010

Play it all the time and everyone commits. Its mad fun!

ocean10

08-23-2010

this is aweswome in practice

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2010

I've been almost only playing ARAM lately, due to my RL friends enjoying this mode the most.

Great write-up and description of rules.

The Snowball Rule is very important to address. Even for Professional Modes, Snowball items should not be allowed, IMO, because of the random chance 1 team will have more poke. What that means is that they out range the other team with spells and attacks, and can safely keep them at distance while damaging them, which snowballs make exceedingly unfair to grab early to continue the threat later in the game.

Sanitizer

08-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
I've been almost only playing ARAM lately, due to my RL friends enjoying this mode the most.

Great write-up and description of rules.

The Snowball Rule is very important to address. Even for Professional Modes, Snowball items should not be allowed, IMO, because of the random chance 1 team will have more poke. What that means is that they out range the other team with spells and attacks, and can safely keep them at distance while damaging them, which snowballs make exceedingly unfair to grab early to continue the threat later in the game.
Yes, I was having some trouble with those rules. I also found them unfair to some champions that are picked in random. I will edit it.

Incendax

08-24-2010

The rules of ARAM are always up to the host, but you are giving a very inaccurate depiction by claiming that Blue Pilling is not allowed, Snowball items are not allowed, and Fortify is not allowed. If anything, the few games that do not allow such things are usually referred to as Nerf ARAM or Carebear ARAM.

1234511 ... 13